Diving vacation in Hawaii - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deo

Reaction score
Hi, all

I'm trying to plan a diving vacation on Hawaii this for my wife and me. We just sertified recently and still very green (11 dives, including 4 OW check-out dives, all in Monterey). So we're looking for easy, shallow (60' max) diving, probably mostly shore, with maybe 1-2 days of boat diving thrown in. We did take AOW class, so we can go deeper than 60' in theory, but I went through my tank in 20 minutes on 85' dive, so it's not all that much fun until we learn to use our air better.

The idea is to dive/eat/sleep for a week, so we have no interest in night life, and less crowds, the better.

So, questions:
- First and foremost, where to go -- which island? From reading the board, Kona seems the favorite
- which dive operator/rentals shop? We will need to rent almost everything (except mask/wetsuit)
- is there a good agency/place to get the whole package from (hotel + rentals + car + maybe few boat dives)?
- would you recommend to take Nitrox class before going?

Any other suggestions also appreciated. Thank you!

Can't speak for Kona, as I've never dove there. I have dove on Maui numerous times as well as Kauai.

Maui has lot's and lot's of good shore diving. There's plenty to be had up in Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kihei. My preference is Kihei.

Boat diving is not cheap on Maui, most 2 tank trips will run anywhere from $110-$150, usually taking you out to Molokini (great diving!), then another site closer to shore (usually Turtle Town), or the other option is a 2 tank trip to Lahaina which I highly recommend as well. For boat divers I'd recommend (if staying in Kihei) Ed Robinson's Dive Adventures.

Shore diving is pretty cheap. Tanks will run about $4 and weights another $4 a day.

Hope that helps.

WN

Deo:
Hi, all
We just sertified recently and still very green (11 dives, including 4 OW check-out dives, all in Monterey). So we're looking for easy, shallow (60' max) diving, probably mostly shore, with maybe 1-2 days of boat diving thrown in. We did take AOW class, so we can go deeper than 60' in theory, but I went through my tank in 20 minutes on 85' dive, so it's not all that much fun until we learn to use our air better.

You may want to consider all boat dives or guided shore dives until you are more experienced.

IMHO, if you only have 11 dives total and went through your tank in 20 minutes, shore diving in unfamiliar waters without a guide or dive master is risky.

My husband and I (also very green divers) went to Hawaii last month and did a shore dive on Honounou Bay (Near City of Refuge). It was really beautiful, and really easy. You can't get an entry and exit point better on a shore dive.

A dive shop in Kona recommended it and gave us really good directions. Lot's of snokelers around and really good for the new diver.

I have only dived Maui...on several occasions. The shore diving can be very good and for newer divers Molokini Crater is pretty awesome as its like diving in an aquarium. The downside (from my perspective) is its too touristy.

Hi:
For boat dives I would have to recommend divemakai (divemakai.com) They are reasonable in their prices and are very accomodating as far as skill levels of the divers. Take exceptional care of all on the boat.
montyb

I just sent away for a package from divemakai. They have no prices listed on their website.

Al Mialkovsky:
I just sent away for a package from divemakai. They have no prices listed on their website.

Diving in Hawaii is not cheap, but IMHO you should not base your decision on price. Dive Makai has a loyal following and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I don't think Dive Makai does the manta ray night dive. That being said, DO NOT MISS THE MANTA RAY NIGHT DIVE.

ronrosa:
Diving in Hawaii is not cheap, but IMHO you should not base your decision on price. Dive Makai has a loyal following and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I don't think Dive Makai does the manta ray night dive. That being said, DO NOT MISS THE MANTA RAY NIGHT DIVE.
Actually I just got a phone call from Tom Shockley from Dive Makai. I left off a number from my zip code but he saw that I live a few miles from a town he used to live in. So we chatted for about 20 minutes about the old days.

I know what prices are in hawaii. Cheap isn't part of the deal but I'll need to know what costs are regardless.

Some boats give instructors a special deal and of course I'm interested in that. I'll be there with a few students who'll be doing advanced courses.

Well, it hasn't been said here, so I'll say it:
The following Maui shops come with high recommendation from most on Scubaboard:
1. Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (boat dives) [my favourite]
2. Mike Severn's Diving (boat dives)
3. Maui Dreams Dive Co. (shore dives/instruction/gear rental) [my favourite]
4. B&B Scuba (boat dives/shore dives/instruction/gear rental)

Between this group, it really only boils down to a) seeing what you want to and b) price. If you want to go to Molokini or Lanai, you will need to go with a boat operator. If you just want to do shore dives, get a guided tour for a couple of the good locations, then go off on your own.

I'm fairly fond of Maui -- a nice place with the amenities most expect, but without the hustle&bustle of Honolulu.

Plenty to do there on non-diving days, also. :)

Back
Top Bottom