info on lunenburg/halifax area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nite_diver

Reaction score
to my fellow divers,
am planning on a trip to the area this summer and was wondering if any divers out there can set me in the right direction. from what i have been told there really is some awesome diving in lunenburg area but then i heard that south shore dive shop has suddenly close. i guess the nearest one is in halifax area called torpedo ray's dive shop. any info will be of great help to help plan the trip. thank you

nite_diver:
to my fellow divers,
am planning on a trip to the area this summer and was wondering if any divers out there can set me in the right direction. from what i have been told there really is some awesome diving in lunenburg area but then i heard that south shore dive shop has suddenly close. i guess the nearest one is in halifax area called torpedo ray's dive shop. any info will be of great help to help plan the trip. thank you

South Shore Dive shop closed its doors last year. I believe Sand & Sea Dive shop is planning to have a satelite shop in Lunenburg this summer. However there is lots of good divning down that way.

nite_diver:
to my fellow divers,

Yup that's about right... Lunnenburg is where they sank the HMCS SAGUENAY as an artifical reef/diving attraction. It's a pretty good dive... I enjoy diving her because I served on her during her last yeard of service in the Navy... Torpedo Ray's is a good shop and they will connect you with the local charters in Halifax and Lunnenburg...

For even better dives though... I would suggest trying to come here to Newfoundland and diving the Bell Island Wrecks (near St. Johns) 4 Iron Ore carriers that were sunk my U-Boats in WWII... They are about 400ft in length and sitting upright in 50-100ft vis water at approx 100ft depths.

cheers and safe diving

Hey Joe.... how's the reserve gig on the rock treating you? What's it like to be twice the citizen..? The diving must be great.
The wife and I are hoping to get out to Bell Island.... probably not until next year... it sounds like a great time.

dive safe out there..

chris

nalfein:
Hey Joe.... how's the reserve gig on the rock treating you? What's it like to be twice the citizen..? The diving must be great.
The wife and I are hoping to get out to Bell Island.... probably not until next year... it sounds like a great time.

dive safe out there..

chris

Hi Chris good to hear from you... I have not been too active on the Internet Sites but have been diving lots. Been out to the wrecks a dozen or so times in the past month :eek:) Vis is about 100ft right now and the water temp has just gone past the 40F mark. Would be great to hook up with you guys sometime for some diving...

cheers for now

I am taking a group of Ventures (BoyScouts aged 14 - 17) down to Dartmouth and Lunenburg diving this August. We have been dealing with Torpedo Rays and they have been great to deal with. We have all of our dives planned and one of the days will be spent on a boat dive out of Lunenburg, we will do the Saguenay and a seal dive as well.

If anyone has any dive reports for these areas I would love to hear them, especially on the Saguenay and the seals.

Eric

EricDive:
I am taking a group of Ventures (BoyScouts aged 14 - 17) down to Dartmouth and Lunenburg diving this August. We have been dealing with Torpedo Rays and they have been great to deal with. We have all of our dives planned and one of the days will be spent on a boat dive out of Lunenburg, we will do the Saguenay and a seal dive as well.

If anyone has any dive reports for these areas I would love to hear them, especially on the Saguenay and the seals.

Eric

Hi Eric... the Saguenay is a very good dive although the vis can be poor at times... You can get around most of the wreck at about 70ft or so, although you can go down to about 90ft to the bottom... The ship is leaning towards her Stbd side. There is a door and a hatch that allow access to the Bridge which is small compared to the newer ships. Also the Large Helo Hanger Door is open and and you can enter thru it (swiming forward) and there is an exit Door Way up forward on the Port side of the Hanger. I do not recommend any other penetration of the wreck other than the Bridge and Hanger.

The seal dive is a good shallow second dive....Lots of seals.... When your looking for them...take looks behind you often as they like to come up from behind to check out the divers.

Enjoy the trip and the dives

Hey Eric...

My wife and I have been on the Saguenay a few times, and we've done the seal dive... we're doing that again this summer.
Joe's description of the Saguenay is right on... The seal dive is a blast.. Bring a camera... we have a few good shots of the baby seals tugging on my fin tips. I thought the divemaster was pulling my leg when he said to sit on the bottom and wiggle just your fin tips, he claimed the pups would come up and bite your fins. He was right..! Sit nice and still, they take off if you move too much.... and wiggle just your fins... after a few close looks they actually bite the tips and tug on them.... I guess one snuck up behind me and was eyeing my hood.... he chickened out, I never saw him. It's a blast.... plus you've got lots of time... it was only about 10' deep if I recall correctly.....

enjoy..

chris

Back
Top Bottom