Diving in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Buffalo, New York; Clevland, Ohio; Rockhampton, Au
Hey all, I am just booking accomadations in fiji, and it looks like I am staying at Seashell Cove Resort in Momi bay. I will probally be there for 6 days and I basically just want to relax and dive the whole time. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there or dove with them ( Scuba Bula is the dive shop at the resort). If anyone knows if its any good, or what my chances are of seeing anything real nice (Manta ray, hammerheads, nurse sharks, or anything like that). Any info would be great.

Cheers
Vinny

Had a close encounter with a giant manta that bordered on the religious last Feb. at a site called 'Vatu Vai' near the island of Wakaha (sp?). He(she?) played with us for almost twenty minutes. There was an intelligence there, I'd swear on it.
Most of the big stuff is seen in the waters between the two big islands. We were on the Fiji Aggressor at the time and I can't say enough about the wonderful diving we had.

I dove at Seashell Cove 2 years ago. The people were friendly and accomodating, lodging was comfortable, the food good. Tap water was from the local stream and was NOT potable -- it seemed somewhat ineffective for showering.

The diving, once you were in the water was excellent and challenging. Somewhat on the deeper side, often VERY surgy (this is also a surfing resort). Sites included beautiful soft coral, cool topography, and lots of fish -- nothing particularly big that we saw.

However, at least when we were there two years ago, getting to the diving was a bit interesting. The boat was fairly small, had no head, no safety gear of any kind (no first aid kit, no O2, no flotation devices). It did have a radio, though it seemed to work intermittantly. The ladder was broken, making re-entry quite the feat. The outboard motor required two people to start it -- one at the controls and one with a screw diver at the back making the appropriate contace (this was particularly exciting on the occassions when we were drifting close to reef or being barrelled down upon by a very large freighter that was blowing its horn at us.) The captain of the boat generally slept while the divers were in the water and was often difficult to rouse when we surfaced. And, finally, this location is on a tidal flat, so depending on the tide it is necessary to walk to or from the boat either before or after the dive. In our case, we would start with high tide in the morning and would climb on the boat right at the dive shop hut. When we were finished diving, the captain would bring the boat as close to the resort as possible, we would climb out in about 2 feet of water and walk the last 1/4 - 1/2 mile across the muddy tidal flat in the midday sun.

These were my experiences in the summer of 2002 - I have no idea if the situation has changed.

My preference for diving Fiji is the other side of the island -- diving in the Beqa Lagoon. Specifically staying at Lagoon Resort in Pacific Harbor and Diving with Aqua Trek (NOT the Aqua Trek housed at the resort, but rather the one just down the river).

In any event, I hope you enjoy your trip.

AbsolutWeezer6:
Hey all, I am just booking accomadations in fiji, and it looks like I am staying at Seashell Cove Resort in Momi bay. I will probally be there for 6 days and I basically just want to relax and dive the whole time. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there or dove with them ( Scuba Bula is the dive shop at the resort). If anyone knows if its any good, or what my chances are of seeing anything real nice (Manta ray, hammerheads, nurse sharks, or anything like that). Any info would be great.

Cheers
Vinny

thanks for that info, I was just curious if you knew how easy it was to get to better spots like on the other side of the island. I will be on the island for 9 days, 3 days more near Nadi and then 5 or 6 at seashell. Everyone I will be diving with is fairly new to diving so difficult diving is not the best for us and we all are only open water certified. A couple of us were thinking of doing the advanced certification there but we are not sure if we will or not. So if you know if its easy to get to beter dive sites from the seashell cove resort that would be great. Thanks

Cheers
Vinny

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking... but the place that I was describing... in Pacific Harbor is about 2 1/2 hour drive from Nadi.

AbsolutWeezer6:
thanks for that info, I was just curious if you knew how easy it was to get to better spots like on the other side of the island. I will be on the island for 9 days, 3 days more near Nadi and then 5 or 6 at seashell. Everyone I will be diving with is fairly new to diving so difficult diving is not the best for us and we all are only open water certified. A couple of us were thinking of doing the advanced certification there but we are not sure if we will or not. So if you know if its easy to get to beter dive sites from the seashell cove resort that would be great. Thanks

Cheers
Vinny

Back
Top Bottom