How do I BBQ shrimp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
There was a sale on jumbo shimp at the local supermarket yesterday. The advertising flyer said, " Great for BBQing"

But they failed to mention how to go about BBQing these shimp. I would imagine that you have to put something on them. Do you cook them in the shell or do you peel them first?

I hope some of you Aussies from down under read this before supper tonight. :eyebrow:

My suggestion would be to marinate them shell off in a BBQ marinade, place them on a skewer either alone or as a shish-k-bob and grill them. Grill them over a moderate to low heat. They will cook fairly quickly.

TwoBit

Well I'm not an Aussie, but I just toss them in a little olive oil and lemon juice and whatever herbs strike my fancy. Grill on skewers, I've done both shells on and shells off. Shells help keep them moist but then you've got hot shells to peel off.

Thanks both very much. I never thought of using skewers.

I followed D.fish's directions for a couple of reasons. I just crushed up some dried tarragon leaves that I grew last year.

I left the shells on because this dinner was only for family. Let them peel their own dang shrimp. Besides I cooked this after work tonight so I was in a hurry to eat.

Had a nice little steak to go with it. Everything is gone so they must of liked them. I thought they came out pretty great myself.

Before putting them on skewers oil the skewers because otherwise it would be very difficult to take shrips of.
I simply marinate shrips with shells on in oil, lemon, herbs and lots of garlic. Later BBQ them with shells.
Mania

benncool:
Had a nice little steak to go with it. Everything is gone so they must of liked them. I thought they came out pretty great myself.

You just can't beat Surf'n'Turf... :)

benncool:
There was a sale on jumbo shimp at the local supermarket yesterday. The advertising flyer said, " Great for BBQing"

But they failed to mention how to go about BBQing these shimp. I would imagine that you have to put something on them. Do you cook them in the shell or do you peel them first?

I hope some of you Aussies from down under read this before supper tonight. :eyebrow:

Never mind them Aussies. I been farmin shrimp for 28 years and I know everything there is to know bout da shrimpin' bidness. Except cooking them. But try split them in half and leave them in half shells. And don't over cook them. Most people do and that's why they're tough and chewy. Yuck. Hank

so your going to GRILL them (different than BBQ) try some lemon juice, salt, olive oil, mix w/ pealed shrimp and grill.

simply clean them, de-vein them and remove shells, but not the tail. then skewer them and grill them. You can also add vegetables to the skewers or season the shrimp. For seasoning you can use anything, even just old bay.

One way I like to grill shrimp is skewered and marinated in a blend of soy suace, sesame oil, lemongrass, green onion, and just a bit of chili oil. Kind of a subtly spicy asian thing.

Cheers!

Steve

benncool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom