Colored lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

celo

Reaction score
I had the opertunity last weekend to try a colored lens mask. The DM and I did a mask exchange at our saftey stop and I could not believe the difference. The color on this lens was purple. I did a search and discovered there are approximately 4-5 different colors and shades for diving masks. I am interested in what color you use and why.

I have a red for day dives and a clear for night. Red seems to make the colours more vibrant and mostly it's nice on the surface to cut off the sunlight, it has UV protectant.

celo:
I had the opertunity last weekend to try a colored lens mask. The DM and I did a mask exchange at our saftey stop and I could not believe the difference. The color on this lens was purple. I did a search and discovered there are approximately 4-5 different colors and shades for diving masks. I am interested in what color you use and why.

Purple is the best for blotter acid.

That said, all these lenses do is to increase contrast. Plainly stated, it makes dark stuff darker, etc. Not really noticable at a hanging safety stop.

Sharpen your eye, start to look for critters, poke into the dark recess of the reef... you'll be at a distinct disadvantage.

It's an optical conclusion.

You're going to need a flashlight, now more than ever.

I can see clearly now- the tint is gone...

(sounds like a song)

Skip the colors, bring a flashlight even at noon.

It is not an "optical conclusion". The red lenses filter out some of the blue light coming through the lens bringing out the reds. That is why most underwater photographers use red filters on their cameras when the light is good. I use red in the day, clear on very dark cloudy days and nights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom