Hood Canal Dying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the upside, it looks like it might improve my chances of a six-gill sighting.

"...six-gill sharks that love the dark depths crammed themselves into the top 20 feet of water..."

Adam

Gee, I dunno ... they get a little cranky when they're oxygen-starved ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While articles continue to report the demise of the Hood Canal, we dove there over this past weekend (6/12 and 6/13) and it was really quite nice.

We saw 3 six gill sharks and several other creatures that I had never seen before. I do most of my diving in Warm water and central Indiana in quarrys so was pleased with Hood Canal overall.

I dive the canal all the time chasing the crabs. It is amazing how much the bottom has changed just over the last five years. If they want to help save the canal, they need to stop the guey duck harvesting. Areas that used to have grass are now baren because of over harvesting. With that, the silt build up is nasty. Areas that used to be hard sand/clay are now covered with at least 6" of silt. I don't think that is too good for the bottom.

Diver Mike:
While articles continue to report the demise of the Hood Canal, we dove there over this past weekend (6/12 and 6/13) and it was really quite nice.

We saw 3 six gill sharks and several other creatures that I had never seen before. I do most of my diving in Warm water and central Indiana in quarrys so was pleased with Hood Canal overall.

Where along the Canal did you dive? We'll be up there early to mid August.

DiversMom Where along the Canal did you dive? We'll be up there early to mid August.............

Two nice shore dive sites are located just north of hoodsport, Sund rock and Octopus hole. Information can be obtained from the local experts at Mikes dive center north, 22270 HWY 101 Shelton Wa. 98584 Mike and Mary have been there forever and know the area as well as anyone. Their dive shop is just a mile or so past the Potlach sate park entrance on Hwy 101 north. Octopus hole is 3.2 miles past the city of Hoodsport and Sund rock is just one or two, both are clearly marked with new signs. If you need more info let me know

The phone number to Mikes dive shop is 360-877-9568

DiversMom:
We dove the area called the Pinicale. we dove with Pacific Adventures out of Pleasent Harbor Marina. Don is an excellent boat captiana dn tour guide.

Mike...

DoubleDip:
DiversMom Where along the Canal did you dive? We'll be up there early to mid August.............

Two nice shore dive sites are located just north of hoodsport, Sund rock and Octopus hole. Information can be obtained from the local experts at Mikes dive center north, 22270 HWY 101 Shelton Wa. 98584 Mike and Mary have been there forever and know the area as well as anyone. Their dive shop is just a mile or so past the Potlach sate park entrance on Hwy 101 north. Octopus hole is 3.2 miles past the city of Hoodsport and Sund rock is just one or two, both are clearly marked with new signs. If you need more info let me know

The phone number to Mikes dive shop is 360-877-9568

You can also look at the web site www.bio-marine.com for the Book Northwest Shore Dives it has all the dtails on Sund Rock and Octopus Hole as well as others.

DiversMom:

Drive down access to Sund Rock is private and controlled through Hood Sport N Dive dive shop a couple miles north of Hoodsport. They are right next to Sund and have air, nitrox and other supplies. They also provide a very nice map of the site. Access is $15 per diver and is somewhat limited by available room, so check with the shop early to see how busy it looks. Octopus Hole has very limited parking, and you have to hike down a side hill. I consider this site very boring.

MD

Back
Top Bottom