Muskies vs. Baracuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
OK, there is plenty of talk about salt water dangers which are all very good by the way. But what about fresh water dangers like Musky, Northern Pike, Gar, Freshwater Eels, etc? Has anyone had any bad experiences? Muskies can get rather large, and they too have sharp teeth which in my opinion may make them the fresh water Baracuda.

I rarely hear of anything of this nature, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case there are people here that have some experiences to share.

Gar are the UGLIEST fish in the entire world... but they won't bother you. The only things we Floridians have to worry about are gators, crocs (only in the Everglades), various poisonous snakes, and various types of snapping turtles. We do also have to worry about some of our saltwater denizens getting confused and swimming up stream. I remember as a kid seeing a shark swimming in one of the springs off of the Suwannee river (no, I can't remember which one).

Actually, I think I am in far GREATER danger from the small runabouts and Jet Skis that proliferate in our waters... that and the ubiquitous "Snorkel Dork"... but of course, TM actually lives in Texas and only VISITS Florida...

You get crocs in Florida? I though there were only alligators in the US...

I suppose salt water crocs could be a freshwater hazard in Australia (they live in both salt and fresh), but I don't think many people go diving in Australia's northern rivers for that reason (plus the average 1 inch visiibility!!!).

Pike and muskies are wussies. I haven't even seen one. Wait, my buddy did see one once, but I didn't see it. We don't dive in their waters much.

Mike

Murdock, I agree about the "freshwater barracuda" thing, (that's what we always called them). They have teeth, they grow large, and they're seldom afraid of a diver. I haven't known of one attacking anyone but I did have a buddy that had one to swim up and peck it's reflection in his mask! (I also had a buddy that had a barracuda do the same thing) I have seen catfish as big as I am, (and I'm a BIG guy). While they aren't afraid of you, I've never know one to "attack" someone. I've posted on here before about the sturgeon attacks. (It's not really an attack - it's just their way of getting to know you, but a hard knock 2'- 3' sideways can be an awakening in low/no-vis water.) Lest we forget the mudturtles that are only dangerous if hungry and in close proximity. (They HAVE been known to remove fingers!)
Norm

Yes, there are crocs in Florida. They are endangered and you're not likely to see any in the wild, but they are there.

If you drive to the Keys and keep your eyes open you'll see "crocodile crossing" road signs.

DSSW,

WWW™

Just my two cents.......my brother in law who was originally from Hungary and ESCAPED many years ago swears that they have 200 lb cat-fish in Hungary....

I think I'd rather shave a wildcats' @ss with a broken coca-cola bottle than greet a 200 pound catfish...

DawgPaddle

:fly:

Originally posted by Murdock325

... fresh water dangers like Musky, Northern Pike, Gar, Freshwater Eels

I've never had a problem with pike or eels, and never have seen a Gar up here. Muskies yooser... my only encounter scared the &&@*#^#* of me. I swear the fish was 6 feet --- but you know water magnifies and all that, so it probably was only a 4ft-er. I came around a wreck and we were face to face, I don't know who was more freeked. We both stopped, stared, then did a reverse.

How about rattlesnakes? I've never encountered one while lake diving, but have seen them from a boat while fishing; usually during the late spring runoff. It's a nice thought that replaces the Jaws soundtrack while I'm on the surface. Have any of you encountered snakes while diving?

Of course we encounter snakes while diving. Mocassins abound here in Florida, and further north from me there are the Copperhead. Unlike the Rattlers and the Coral Snake, both the Mocassin and Copperhead dearly love water. The thing that makes it fun is the common banded water snake, which has the same body shape and c-l-o-s-e to the same markings as the Mocassin. The only way to tell the difference for sure is the shape of the head. Well, if you can tell that, you MIGHT be a tad too close.

Just like gators, snakes will seek respite from the Florida heat on the bottom of many of our lakes and streams. Touch the wrong "stick" and you might have more than you bargained for. Snakes will also hang from low branches over the same. Thats how they fish. I have had a Mocassin join me and a friend in a canoe on the southern Withlacoochee River. Paddles are an effective method of "snake control" in these situations. Mocassins have a reputation for being VERY territorial, and there are legends about them chasing fishing boats all the way to the marina. I did have a mocassin seem to give my canoe chase on the St John's River, but it did not follow us very long. Who knows, we might have just been heading in the same direction? To date, I only personally know a few people who have been envenomated, and these were 2 from Pygmy Rattlers, and 1 from an Eastern Diamondback Rattler. Most snakes you will meet here are NOT venemous, and all play an important part in our eco-systems. Take heart, you are NOT on their menu. You are more likely to drop a tank on your toe, then be bitten by a snake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom