Products (food, etc..) that help you with your diet...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saf_25

Contributor
Reaction score
Inspired by Dee's cheese soup recipe, I tried the Velveeta Lite with a little bit of hesitation - after all, I HATE those diet foods that taste "diet", you know? But, I have to say, that light Velveeta is awfully good stuff, just as good as the original (I don't notice any difference between the two) and healthier to boot!

I have a similar experience with the Orowheat Light (not low-carb, but light) bread - I've tried light breads before and disliked the fact that you can hold it up in front of your face and see through it. This stuff isn't that bad, though - it's still smaller than a "normal" slice of bread, but the flavor is good and it holds up pretty well when you spread condiments on it. And, again, for less calories, fat, etc... it gets the job done very well.

So, my question to you is, what products do you find that help you - they don't necessarily need to be "diet" products, but just food that you enjoy (it's got to be good - :D ) that is also helpful for those of us in pursuit of a healthier diet? I don't want to have to keep buying duds before I find the brands that've got it right!

I never thought I'd say something like this, but gimme my Tofutti Cuties ---- Little 1/4 size soy base dairy free ice cream sandwiches... YUM

I am neither vegan nor lactose intolerant, but these are just enough to give you that ice cream oomph for dessert.

Highly recommended :)

Chris

For bread, I like Nature's Own Honey Wheat. It's normal size and thickness of 'regular' bread and tastes good whether you toast it or not. It's also 2 slices for 1 point.

WOW potato chips

Quaker brand Quackes Rice Snacks. These come in cheddar cheese, ranch, sour cream and onion which are good replacements for chips. They also have apple and cinnamon and caramel corn for that sweet tooth snack. Depending on the flavor but they are 6-10 for 2 points.

Blue Bunny Yogurt

Laughing Cow cheese. A soft spreadable cheese that comes in a round cardboard box and packaged in small 1oz wedges, 8 to a box. I like the regular better than the light. I take 10 reduced fat Wheat Thins, spread LC cheese on them and top with a red seedless grape for a 3 point late night snack.

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches...2 points!

I also like carrots, the little baby ones dipped in regular hidden Valley Ranch dressing. The carrots are free so you only have to count the dressing. 2 tablespoons for 1 point.

Lotta folks don't like them but I eat WW's Smart One's frozen dinners alot for lunch. Fiesta Beans and Rice are only 3 pts. Creamy Rogatoni with broccoli and chicken is great. Michalena also just started making some Gourmet Light Bowls that are really good and they have WW points right on the box.

Saf..PM your email to me and I'll send you some of the WW recipes. One of the ladies on WW message board posts 2 every day. At the end of the month she'll sent me the whole month worth, usually around 50-60 pages in Word! There's some really good ones in there.

Just a few I keep around!

Not really a food but one of the biggest helps is to drink lots of water because it keeps you full so you don't eat as much. There is a BIG downside to it though. To make a diet work long term you have to change your lifestyle. Keeping your stomach full of water does wonders short term but long term you have to learn to control your portions without other fillers.

James

I think that Dee hit most of my favorites, too. But, I will add the Kudos bars, those are great for the I just have to have chocolate moments. They count as 2pts each and are very satisfying.

Blue Bunny low fat, sugar free ice cream, yummy. It is made with Splenda and is very good.

Cucucumber slices, topped with the Laughing Cow wedge cheese, let the cheese soften a bit and make sure the cucumber slices are crip to put the topping on. Or celery sticks work well too.

I like the baby carrots too, with the ranch dressing or if I want to have less points I use salsa. Really a good combination.

I have started using the Sara Lee reduced calorie wheat bread, 2 slices are 2pts. I find them to be very good and hold up well. Not so airy either.

I am sure there are alot more. But, this is just a few of my favorites.

I like mayo and always hate to give it up or switch to the fat free when I'm watching my weight. I've discovered a soy based product called Nayonnaise which I think is an excellent substitute for mayo - and I'm pretty picky. Tuna salad made with nayonnaise puts this favorite back on my list of "can haves". I like to whip up a big batch of this tuna salad in a food processor and use it during the week for mid-morning and afternoon snacks while I'm at work. It's great for stuffing celery sticks and if you prepare boiled eggs, cut them in half and discard the yolks, you can stuff these as well. I usually find the Nayonnaise at the health food store but occasionally find it in the supermarket if it has a health food section.

Finnatic,
How about some lowfat fruity yogurt (try orange with tuna) instead of mayo? You get salad and desert all on one plate! Yummy!! :)

What I've found isn't so brand related as it is nutritional component related. I try to get .75-1.0 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight per day. Then I try to get my carbs from fruits and vegetables. Next is lots of water and enough fiber to keep the old body working.

I avoid all simple carbs. like sugar, white bread, fruit juices, etc. It is much easier to keep a stable blood sugar level and thus not overeat when they are eliminated. Plus, I can't afford the empty calories from them.

Unlike the Atkins fans I take pains to limit fat intake also.

Since I'm over 40 I need to use a protein supplement to get enough without adding too many calories for my metabolism. Also, I do my best to limit iron intake.

It is very difficult to eat out of a grocery store since such a high percentage of their offerings are what I call Industrial Food. That is food designed for profits and sales and to take advantage of fads rather than good nutrition.

So, MesoTec, NitroTec, EAS, etc get my money for specialty and needed supplements. The rest of my diet comes from turkey, tofu, steak, buffalo, SALMON(get the idea I like it?), Halibut, oatmeal, apples, etc. Oh yes, I do enjoy a glass of wine, or other drink associated with food. And, I do definitely NOT eat on the run. I take my time and enjoy whatever I'm eating.

How has this worked over the last two years? In combination with a regular weight lifting program I've lost 15 pounds, doubled the amount of weight I can lift, increased my endurance, reduced my waist by 3", and increased the muscles that count. Plus, I've lowered my air consumption significantly.

My focus is on health and strength, not weight.

Arctic diver, Stay to the low end of your protein range, its hard on your kidneys. Plus, any extra protein is excreted as nitrogen in your urine. Now days, thats expensive PI**. Plus, for your body to retain protein/build muscle you must have adequate calories first to meet your energy needs or your body will convert the fat or protein you eat into carb that it can use for energy. It will do this as a survival instinct no matter what you eat. Its gonna get the energy it needs before it uses whatever you eat for muscle building. Even at .75g/#, thats almost twice what is recommended. There is a little controversy as to whether or not you need more secondary to your weight lifting exercise, but certainly not 2x what is recommended, maybe .5 to .6 grams protein/pound of lean bodyweight. Fruits, vegetables, water, low fat and high fiber are all winners. Keep up the good work. Even without making any changes you are on the right track. Congrats on making changes that work for you and sticking with them. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. Greg

gt2003:
Arctic diver, Stay to the low end of your protein range, its hard on your kidneys. Plus, any extra protein is excreted as nitrogen in your urine. Now days, thats expensive PI**. Plus, for your body to retain protein/build muscle you must have adequate calories first to meet your energy needs or your body will convert the fat or protein you eat into carb that it can use for energy. It will do this as a survival instinct no matter what you eat. Its gonna get the energy it needs before it uses whatever you eat for muscle building. Even at .75g/#, thats almost twice what is recommended. There is a little controversy as to whether or not you need more secondary to your weight lifting exercise, but certainly not 2x what is recommended, maybe .5 to .6 grams protein/pound of lean bodyweight. Fruits, vegetables, water, low fat and high fiber are all winners. Keep up the good work. Even without making any changes you are on the right track. Congrats on making changes that work for you and sticking with them. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. Greg

Well what you say illustrates the controversy about nutrition and reinforces the idea that each person must do the research and make their own decisions.

While it is true that ultimately the cells feed on ATP exactly what combination of nutrients a person should consume is a controversial matter. Unfortunately, the government's credibility in this area has been harmed by their political compromises. At the same time some folks have taken advantage of the public's lack of knowledge and desire for a silver bullet to promote fad diets and medications.

The huge amounts of money involved and competing desires of the medical community and other groups to control that money also adds to the controversy.

So, rather than argue directly your points I'll merely say that I have done the research and my choices are supported by credible authority. Plus, something I didn't put into my prior post, I do dip my urine frequently to insure that my kidneys are not being harmed.

Remember, the concept is to adopt a sound lifestyle, for your entire life, supported by proper nutrition. Everyone should abandon the word "diet" as if it were a short term medical fix and concentrate on their long term lifestyle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom