Roatan vs. Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is for those that have been to both Roatan and Belize.

My buddy and I are waffling between a package in Roatan or Belize. We've been to the websites for both and the ops/resorts look comparable. He's checked them out in his Chapbook and all is well with both.

Here's the question.....which one has the better diving? Please give me your thoughts and details.

TIA!

I thought the diving was comparable (some of the best I have ever experienced in both cases) but Roatan (I went to Anthony's Key 1992) runs at a slower pace, less boat traffic, less people, further from shore...

I went to Belize (2000) for my honeymoon though and we took a side trip up through the mangroves and visited some ruins and that was wonderful also...

Diver Lori:
My buddy and I are waffling between a package in Roatan or Belize. We've been to the websites for both and the ops/resorts look comparable. He's checked them out in his Chapbook and all is well with both.

Here's the question.....which one has the better diving? Please give me your thoughts and details.

TIA!

The diving is the same... it's in the ocean.

If 'the chapbook' says something- it must be true.

The diving for both locations is upon a reef system that is a continous barrier. The reefs look the same, they're shaped the same, they have the same critters.

There are differences depending upon which part of any given islet that you step into the Caribbean. If you like the North side of Roatan, I could take you to its duplicate in Belize. If you like Lighthouse Reef, I could show it to you in Roatan, as well.

A better question would be: "How do these two resorts that I have picked compare as to available diving?"

Roatan is a long, narrow island. You either dive on the North side or the South side, by picking resorts located accordingly. The diving is different, and only one resort has real shore diving of value.

Belize is of course the many many cayes or islets located East off of the main body of Belize and Belice City (BCE). Diving from Belice City or booking day ops from that locale would say a lot about your intentions- as would booking any specific resort on the atolls.

The Belize system is generaly located quite a distance from the particular resort it is used by. There are boat rides involved from any dive dock. (vs the 7-12 minute rides in Roatan)

Otherwise, the structure, the fish life, the salinity and everything else is exactly the same... depending upon where you enter the water fro a particular resort.

So what did you select? There is the essential part of the equation.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the resorts you are considering? As folks have said, the diving can be different based upon where you are. Also, Roatan is a 34 mile long island - Belize is a country with many different options throughout. To really comment, we'd have to know what specific area/resort you are considering...

I've been to both places but not at all inclusive resorts. Instead, I've gone on the cheap. In Belize I stayed on Caye Caulker and on Roatan I've stayed in the West End. I prefer Roatan because it is cheaper ($15 per tank) and shorter boat rides (5 minutes from west end -basically, straight out from the beach).

champ:
I've been to both places but not at all inclusive resorts. Instead, I've gone on the cheap. In Belize I stayed on Caye Caulker and on Roatan I've stayed in the West End. I prefer Roatan because it is cheaper ($15 per tank) and shorter boat rides (5 minutes from west end -basically, straight out from the beach).
There's a lot more to Belize that Caye Caulker - several places you can stay with great diving within 5 minutes...

Okay, okay....so I didn't provide enough info. I've been chided and will comply. The packages we are looking at are Lighthouse Reef Resort in Belize and Fantasy Island Beach Resort in Roatan.

Lighthouse is great - but remote. If all you want to do is dive - this is the place (or one of them, I like Turneffe Island Lodge too). But remember you are a 2 hour boatride (or 30 minute planeride) from anything else. I like it, but depending upon what you are going for, it is VERY different, topside, from Fantasy Island.

The diving is excellent at Lighthouse Reef & Half Moon Caye Wall.

Enjoy!

gj62,

What are the boats like at Lighthouse Reef Resort? They have nothing to speak of about their boats on their website. Is it a cattleboat? Camera tanks? now many divers? valet diving? (I don't like valet diving, btw)

Please let me know! Thanks!

I've dove at Lighthouse, and visited the resort by boat, but not stayed there or dove with them. From what I could tell, it is MUCH smaller than Fantasy Island. My guess is there is probably a maximum of 20 or so guests at one time, so I doubt you could call it a cattle boat. They are at the north end, and some of the more well-known dives are at the south end - it's probably 20 to 30 minutes to get to Half Moon or Longs.

I was recently at Turneffe with a couple who had stayed on Lighthouse - they said the dive ops were very similar (though the lodging and food were better at Turneffe according to them). In any event, this is how it worked at Turneffe:

When you arrive, you grab a tank and rig it exactly how you like it. From then on, the only thing you have to clean or worry about is your mask & wetsuit - they'll handle the rest - cleaning, rinsing, drying, etc. I've been diving over 25 years - on both ends (working and vacationing), and I love valet diving. It doesn't remove the responsibility for giving your gear the once-over before you strap it on, but having someone else haul it around is great. Of course, it's up to you. You can tell them to let you do it and they will. 1 guy started that way, but by the 2nd day, he was a convert too.

Most of the sites at Turneffe are 5 minutes away, including the Elbow. For those, they usually put 6 to 8 in an open boat. You go over the side, dive where you wish, then signal the boat when you surface - the capt will come and get you where you are. It was not unusual to have the groups head in different directions, and the dive briefings covered what you would see where. There was little current or swell - maybe they do it differently if present. TIL boasts something like a 75% return rate. When we were there, there were only 13 guests, and 22 staff - talk about service!

When we went to the Blue Hole, it was in a 50' covered boat that was dry and comfortable for the 90 minute trip - not like most of the boats we saw there that left San Pedro at 6 in the morning for 2.5 - 3 hour ride!

If you're interested in Turneffe, their site is www.turneffelodge.com - I can't recommend them highly enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom