Why is Philippine diving snubbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why do the dive magazines (at least the two I get) seem to totally ignore the fabulous diving in the Philippines?

I had a better level of instruction, better divemasters, and better safety in the Philippines than I did in the US. The prices are amazingly low; the corals breathtaking. Yet the mags act as if it doesn't exist.

The mags I get are SCUBA diver and Rodale's Scuba mag. (I don't remember subscribing to it, but it started showing up in my mailbox.)

I agree with you,I received my open water intstruction in the Philippines and the instructor was great! I loved it there,the people,the diving,the prices.I would love to see more in the mags,I have seen Inodonesia articles and ads but never the Phils.I would like to get the e-mail for the Philippine Embassy here in the US and start letting them know to step up thier advertising,more tourism = more money=better economy.

I didn't realize that it was. From Japan it is a popular destination. I know that some people are a little worried about terrorism in the Philippines - but that doesn't really affect the diving on most of the islands. It's definitely on my future 'to do' list.

Yeah, I noticed it too. But it's also a good thing for an obvious reason. As long as it's not being promoted much, than keep your mouth shut so you can still enjoy the fabulous diving there. Once they start promoting the Philz, I'm a bit worried you'll get the same situation as in for example Egypt. Dozens of boat filled with divers at the same place... So as long as it stays quiet, I'm ok with it. A little promotion is still ok ofcourse. But who needs mass tourism?

dutch-scuba-kid:
Yeah, I noticed it too. But it's also a good thing for an obvious reason. As long as it's not being promoted much, than keep your mouth shut so you can still enjoy the fabulous diving there. Once they start promoting the Philz, I'm a bit worried you'll get the same situation as in for example Egypt. Dozens of boat filled with divers at the same place... So as long as it stays quiet, I'm ok with it. A little promotion is still ok ofcourse. But who needs mass tourism?
Hey everybody... I am looking foward to diving the PI`s. I also was swayed by the thoughts of kidnapping...etc. I don`t like to live my life by fear. I think if you don`t go too far south PI`s ... you should be fine. Apo. Bohol and many others. Can`t wait to get there. Kevin :crafty:

love2godeep:
Why do the dive magazines (at least the two I get) seem to totally ignore the fabulous diving in the Philippines?

I had a better level of instruction, better divemasters, and better safety in the Philippines than I did in the US. The prices are amazingly low; the corals breathtaking. Yet the mags act as if it doesn't exist.

The mags I get are SCUBA diver and Rodale's Scuba mag. (I don't remember subscribing to it, but it started showing up in my mailbox.)

Maybe because it's not so fabulous after decades of blast fishing, poisoning and muro-ami, all of which have wreaked havoc with the reefs and eliminated most if not all of the peak predator species that make tropical diving such an experience. For an objective view of the difficulties the Philippines is having with its reef ecosystems, go to http://www.philippines.hvu.nl/CoralReef.htm and http://www.bayanihan.org/html/public_html/article.php?story=20021220033955682&mode=print.

For me, the Philippines is one of the easiest places to get to from Sydney and, all other things being equal, would be my dive destination of choice. But guess what? I'm going to Palau this year and Chuuk next, decisions made wholly on my expectations that the diving will be better quality.

If those mags operate anything like Skin Diver did, resorts basically buy good reviews & articles. Usually in the form of paid advertising. Maybe the Philippine resorts don't have the budget for this, or maybe they already have enough business. Do you belong to DAN - Rodale's may come thru them. (I didn't subscribe either.)

I haven't been to Chuuk (yet -- give me a few months) but have been to Palau twice and the Philippines three times for diving. I agree that the Philippines has been damaged by decades of overfishing, dynamite, cyanide and lack of awareness, but in the places where the local leaders have had the foresight to create sanctuaries, the reefs, corals and the pyramid of species are, in my anecdotal experience, coming back to levels that will keep me coming back to the Philippines. I'm referring to Dumaguete, Apo Island and Anilao, among other sites.

I was overwhelmed with awe during my first vist to Palau last year, and merely impressed on my second visit this past March. What changed? Fewer sightings of the apex species. Shark finning, although banned in Palau, still occurs and I believe that there's an exception in the law for local consumption. Thus you'll see Napolean Wrasse on the menu in some restaurants (Penthouse Hotel and ALL of the Chinese restaurants). And local leaders get away selling their shark fins under the table.

If you're looking for wreck and wall diving, shark action and Napolean wrasses, it's still better in Palau than in the Philippines. But if you're looking for macro species like frogfish, leaffish, crabs, tunicates, sponges, soft corals, seahorses, ghost pipefish, snake eels, clownfish, cleaner shrimp, Dumaguete/Apo beats Palau hands down.

So, yes, let everyone else avoid the Philippines so those of us who have discovered this gem can enjoy it without the crowds seen elsewhere.

I like the divesites in the Philippines. I was in Dumaguette last year and plan to go to Puerto Galera this year. I think the impression of the Philippines is that it is a bit less safe, infrastructure is a little worse, etc etc than Thailand or Indonesia (although that has changed lately as well). In comparison to many good dive sites in Indonesia such as Komodo, Sangalaki, Irian Jaya, it is certainly easier to get to many dive sites in the Philippines. Value for the money, I think PI has to be one of the best our there as far as diving goes.

Yes i agree with the majority, lets not promote the philippines yet to the international community. it would pose to be an added stress to the reefs that is just about recovering from blast and dynamite fishing.

oh and occassionally on weekends you see some muro-ami in anilao, and on weekdays!!!!!!!!! DAMN !!!!!! they do it wihtout fear !!!!!!! (times when i skipped going to office during the weekdays)

as of now, week ends on Anilao, you get a WHOLE LOT OF BOATS with DIVERS and snorkellers. let's keep the reefs 'secret' until we get tired of them, been diving since 1997 , haven't tired of them yet, considering i dive almost every weekend......

As KimLeece said, A whole LOT OF foreign tourist are visiting the reefs todate. top visiotrs come from Japan, Korea. they even are operating their resorts now.

Japan is more establishing their divers around Cebu
Korea around Anilao.

I just wish the Dive Pros, would control their divers from poking the Giant Clams and other timid organism they come across..... :(

Security is really an issue down in Mindanao, but to tell you the truth, just the past two months most of the good resort in Palawan are Fully booked.

Back
Top Bottom