Pig Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here is a culinary ritual as demonstrated to me by my friends "John Wayne Cooper", and his brother "Flash Gordon Cooper":

I will present it as a recipe for those who want to try it at home.

PIG FRY.

You will need:
One large pig.
One fourty four gallon drum.
firewood
sharp knives.
Bucket for blood collecting
Rum
crates of beer

Proceedure:

Take large live pig and tie it up under the house all night.

About eight in the morning rise, open a beer and kill pig with knife. It is important to collect all the blood in order to give to wife and aunties for saussage making and suspected voodoo rituals.

fill oil drum with water and light fire beneath.

Retire for breakfast and a couple of (salva vida) beers.

about 10.30 descend from house and scrape pig. This involves pouring boiling water from the fourty four gallon drum untill all the dirty skin and hair has been scalded off the pig. this is the worst part of the job and includes removing intestines and offal for the aunties to perform more rituals with.

Retire for more beers.

at about mid day, when kids and relatives arrive, open rum.

when finally forced away from the footy game on telly about 12.30, descend to where pig is now hanging under the house, rekindle the fire under the drum and start to peel the layers of fat off the pig. this step is very reminiscent of and probably learned from whalers when they flayed whales.

At this point it is important to separate the skin from the (upto 10 cm/5 inches) of fat and set aside the skin.

Place the fat in the drum untill rendered. Look for rum bottle.

carefully remove the little hard bits that float to the top before they burn black, otherwise it will taint the lard. Feed bits to dogs.

Search for cold beer as this is hot work with the fire and the boiling fat and all.

Continue the process untill the drum is about one quarter to a third full of boiling fat, or guests start complaining of hunger too loud, which ever comes first.

fry the skin untill it turns crisp and serve as an appetizer perhaps acompanied by a guacamole dip..

Cut grapefruit sized chunks of meat from the pig and toss in the drum, these take about five to ten minutes to cook.

serve hot on a paper plate. Salad optional.

Take care to make a ceremony over the pigs tail. This is one of the most cherished parts of the pig, which should be bestowed with great reverence to one of the most highly esteemed offspring, who will immediately be attacked by the less fotunate kids and must run and hide in order to retain his prize.

The larger joints of meat can be added to the barrel once most of the family have eaten, cooked this way (it takes another couple of hours over a low fire, you get cold cuts for a week, and the stock at the bottom of the drum will last indefinately.

The lard can be separated and used for cooking, waterproofing tarps, or is a good substitute for outboard motor oil (in its liquid form) however is rather more smokey and you will need to clean you plugs more often.

Enjoy

In the Polish tradition, the breakfast, on the day of the slaughter would consist of scambled eggs and pig brains. Sautee onions, of course, are also mixed in.

When we were younger we would roast a whole big. We made a pig roaster out of a 275 gal. oil tank. It had an electric gear motor and chain drive to turn the whole pig as it cooked.

Now in my oldness I just get a couple of already butchered pork loins and roast them up. This is the tastiest part of the pig and it is a whole lot less work.

I very nearly posted this recipe in the scuba humor section, cause I thought it was pretty funny, but "Eggs and Brains"..... Dude, even I draw the line at that, and I have eaten tarantulas on a stick and buffalow gall bladder salad! (recipies on request)

we cubans don't fry the pig, we roast it over an open fire, but the process is
similar

however... i draw the line at eating anything's brain, sorry

:11: :11: :11: That's the way I feel about anything's testicles. What are they called "mountian oysters". Sorry, no can do.

But if you think about it the brain is cleaner than the liver. I also love beef kidneys and dumplings.

No guts, butts or nuts!

Joe

scubajoe:
No guts, butts or nuts!

Joe,
Remember that there is a pork cut called the "Boston butt", or something like that. It is actually the shoulder section... GOOD BBQ with that cut.

Pez de Diablo:
So Mark, first full moon in July are you doing a pig on the beach? If so, I'm in!

Given a whole pig, I could think of a far better way to cook it, the earth oven, lovo (Fijian) Umu (hawaiian?) Hangi (maori).

Give me the pig, a well dug firepit firepit, A stack of root vegies and about fifty hungry people, and enough beer and I will sit around and direct people how to cook the pig.

Or I can post the recipie here on the board and you can do it yourself.

cancun mark, CD (Cooking Director)

Brings back memories As a teenager I worked for a dairy construction company. A fellow worker of Mexican heritage would slaughter a pig for Christmas holidays. He'd boil a pot of pig skins and milk gut (The lining and tubes of cow udder) Mixed with tabasco and beer it was pretty good.....I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom