Lake Pleasant cert trip and dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueB

Reaction score
Dive Report for Lake Pleasant

My wife and I did our Open Water cert this weekend in preparation for our trip to Cancun on June 25th. Below is the diver report. I am new to the board and this is my first post. Woohoo!

Saturday, 6-12-04

Dives 1 and 2

We dove in the cove in the dirty shirt area. Water temp 76 degrees. Visibility was less than 5 feet. We went to 25 feet and experienced no thermoclines. Saw some little yellow fish on a wall at about 20 feet. Lots of boats and shore visitors as well. Lots of cool looking underwater trees. THe cove was essentially "V" shaped underwater. Did lots of skills underwater and lots of underwater navigation.

I wore a 3/2 full and felt pretty confortable. My rental BCD was ill adjusted and too big, and I was underweighted. The result was a very sore back from struggling to gain negative buoyancy as my tank got lighter.

Sunday, 6-13-04
Dives 3 and 4

This time we dove in the two cows cove about 1/4 to a 1/3 mile south of the dirty shirt area. Water was ostensibly 76 degrees but I got pretty cold near the end. I added a couple of pounds of weight and really got my BCD adjusted right. Felt much better, and had no problems.

Two cow cove has a 3-4 foot ledge all around that drops nearly vertically to 20-25 feet, with a small slope and then drops again vertically to 40-45 feet. According to some other divers that were there, the cove drops again to 80 feet a bit further out. Visibility was much better, perhaps 10-15 feet at times.

We did lots of skills at 25 feet, and did a lot more underwater navigation with compasses. My temp gauge was acting up, but the water seemed to be colder at 25 feet. We did go down to 40 feet to get some experience at greater depths and to put our hand in the thermocline. I went down a bit too quick and before the instructor could show me the thermocline I found it myself by swimming through it.

Once again my temp gauge was acting up, but I can tell you it was COLD. VERY COLD. We spent a few minutes at 40 feet and I really enjoyed it. The fish seemed to have little experience with divers, and were not hesistant to run into our masks. One yellow fish even swam through my fingers a few times. We also saw some blue gills I believe.

The 3rd and 4th dives were a lot of fun, and we are really excited for Cancun!

Glad it was joyable for you. Practice up some before heading out on vacation. And, remember...they may do things diff down there.
rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom