snorkling with open heal fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that snorkling with full foot fins is better than snorkling with open heal fins. Is this true? If so, please explain to me why that is true. Thank you.

Here's my .02 worth. Most open heal fins have larger fin surface and stiffer blades than fins designed specifically for snorkeling. This makes it tough on the legs when breaking the surface of the water.

Traditionally, snorkeling fins have shorter and more flimsy blades since you don't need the power from a scuba kick to propel you.

That being said. I use the first pair of open heal fins I ever bought, since they are completely inadequate for diving. They are a little large for snorkeling, but are nice if I want to freedive from the surface to check something out.

Hope this helps. It's just my observation with my fins.

I don't think it's any better or worse, just one less thing to carry and put on.

If you're snorkeling off a boat or off a beach where you don't have to worry about where you walk then full foot fins are fine. If you have to walk over anything else to get to the water you're better off with some kind of bootie and strap fin.

Oh I so agree with Damselfish....if there is over two or three feet to walk to the water barefooted and there is something ouchie to step on on the way....I will find it.

When out and about I usually just wear my thickest booties, that way I can get as wet as needed and no problem. Plus, my tender old feet are protected.
rich

It really depends on where you are.

If the water temperatures and other factors make wearing exposure protection manditory then open heal fins are better as you are already wearing booties.

If you are in tropical, warm water and just want to cruise, the closed heal fins let you go without a bootie. This is great from a boat. You are in a swimsuit, slip on a pair of fins and a mask/snorkel and away you go.

I think I'll just stick with my 5mm Mares avanti boots and Quattro fins then. I was asking cause my instructor was surprised when I told him about my gear. He said I should have bought full foot fins instead. Thanks for the quick replies!

I agree with open heal it does take more effort, but it is doable.

High quality full foot fins are a little lower drag and a bit more efficient than their open heel counterparts. This may be important to a fairly advanced free diver but is not a concern with the average snorkeler.

A soled neoprene bootie is nice to walk to the water with and I have also found that with open heel fins I can use a shoe like an Aqua Sock in the fin if the water is warm and a bootie is not required.

OK, I know I'm going to get zapped for this one but:

"Heal" means to repair or make well, as in "The wound needs to heal."

"Heel" - anatomically a part of the foot, generally where one's fin strap is fitted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom