Utila or where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
flying into Belize city on July 6 from LAx and the only thing i need to do is get to San Jose COsta Rica by mid September and all i can think about is being underwater...

I was contemplating doing a divemaster at Utila, Honduras, but am unsure if its the best spot?

All that said, i'm really looking for a way to maximize my dive time, and dive experience. So i'm asking those of you with exp in central america if i should do a couple live aboards at a couple of spots, or just spend the $500 US and concentrated on bottom time at a dive school. Reading previous threads it looks like Utila dive, Blue Water and 'the college' are the top canidates...what do you think?

Well all i can tell you is from my experience Deep Blue Divers in Utila allow Divermater Trainees to dive as much as they like within the 2 month period of their course most do at least 100 dives the cost of the course is $550 they also allow you to do free specialities. They are a PADI 5star IDC Center and have some great instructors i have been there many times myself and dived with people that were trained there and they have been very well trained. the other places are Bay Islands college of diving and Utila dive center i suggest that you go to Utila speak to all 3 and see which you feel best at if you want any more info send me a private message and i will tell you what ever you need to know

rockhound1971:
flying into Belize city on July 6 from LAx and the only thing i need to do is get to San Jose COsta Rica by mid September and all i can think about is being underwater...

I was contemplating doing a divemaster at Utila, Honduras, but am unsure if its the best spot?

All that said, i'm really looking for a way to maximize my dive time, and dive experience. So i'm asking those of you with exp in central america if i should do a couple live aboards at a couple of spots, or just spend the $500 US and concentrated on bottom time at a dive school. Reading previous threads it looks like Utila dive, Blue Water and 'the college' are the top canidates...what do you think?

To log maximum bottom time and get dive experience, one is ill advised to try to mix that with a DM Class. You are in search of a coal powered helicopter. Interesting idea, it's been tried before, but unless you have a LOT of time, it simply won't work.

Do a "search" here and see a miriad of discussion previosly registered on just this topic, quite often specific to Utila.

rockhound1971:

This is a no-brainer. If you want to be relaxed, do some great diving at a great all-inclusive in Roatan for about one week, suggest you PM Roatanman. On the other hand, if you want to do an active apprenticeship as a DM with a real good operation at the same price for about two months, then PM Scubafriend.

Regardless. of you final decision, it could be China....however, if it's between Roatan and Utila, Utila is much less expensive and the economy on Utila is driven by dive training, not so much by tourisim.

Regards,

rockhound1971:

I have just spent 4 months at the Bay Islands College of Diving, I have completed Rescue and Divemaster and then spent time Fun Diving and working as a Divemaster at "the college"

The college is an excellent facility with Excellent Instructors (the Instructor for Dive Master is Aaron Ringer, he is very knowlegable) Air Conditioned Classrooms, A Pro 42 dive boat, A discounted bar !!, Specific Whale Shark watching on Sundays training pool, hot tub (the only one on the Island!!) etc...etc..

The divemaster course costs $600, this includes FREE fun diving for all the time you are here, 3 FREE specialty courses, FREE equipment rental, FREE Internet, FREE Tea and Coffee, BBQ's, Quiz Nights ETC>>>ETC>>>

You dont say how much time you have but I completed the Divemaster course very comfortably in 6 weeks.

Have a great time in paradise !!

Scubadooba dude

Hi Cornelius,

I recently dived at the college and had a great time. I´m pretty new to diving and my instructor told me about Scubaboard as a good resource to plan trips get references etc.

Just before I left Utila to continue my travels I was shocked to find that they had sacked not only my instructor Matt (who I thought was really good) but nearly the entire staff. The atmosphere in the dive school changed and to be honest I was pleased I had finished my course.

This is a real shame. I just hope that the instructor mentioned in the previous post is even still there.

Cornelius:
I have just spent 4 months at the Bay Islands College of Diving, I have completed Rescue and Divemaster and then spent time Fun Diving and working as a Divemaster at "the college"

The college is an excellent facility with Excellent Instructors (the Instructor for Dive Master is Aaron Ringer, he is very knowlegable) Air Conditioned Classrooms, A Pro 42 dive boat, A discounted bar !!, Specific Whale Shark watching on Sundays training pool, hot tub (the only one on the Island!!) etc...etc..

The divemaster course costs $600, this includes FREE fun diving for all the time you are here, 3 FREE specialty courses, FREE equipment rental, FREE Internet, FREE Tea and Coffee, BBQ's, Quiz Nights ETC>>>ETC>>>

You dont say how much time you have but I completed the Divemaster course very comfortably in 6 weeks.

Have a great time in paradise !!

Scubadooba dude

Hi All

Yes i am Deep Blue Divers in Utila, all i know about the situation is that BICD do have new managers and some of the staff have been ''let go'' the person you are talking about Matt is a really good guy he is a master instructor and a tech instructor and we have been friends for a long time as soon as i knew he had been ''let go'' i snapped him up he is now working for Deep Blue Divers

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi All

Yes i am Deep Blue Divers in Utila, all i know about the situation is that BICD do have new managers and some of the staff have been ''let go'' the person you are talking about Matt is a really good guy he is a master instructor and a tech instructor and we have been friends for a long time as soon as i knew he had been ''let go'' i snapped him up he is now working for Deep Blue Divers

I can vouch for Matt's experience and knowledge, he worked for Utila Dive Center before he left for the BICD. At UDC we also have several well experienced Instructors, 2 Course Directors, 3 Master Instructors and 3 IDC Staff Instructors, IMHO more experience and local knowledge then elsewhere on Utila with the lowest turnover of staff. Probably your best bet is to visit the top 3 shops and see which one is best for you, maybe dive with each one before making your decision as I do know of Divemaster candidates who get a great first impression and then soon find the smiles change even though the diving doesn't!

Hope to see you on this beautiful island soon,
Andy

Just to clear up some of the rumours regarding BICD. It is true that 2 Instructors were "let go" duting the recent shake-up. Anyone who has worked with Matt will no doubt vouch for his superb instruction and experience.

There has been a change in management and also some new hirings of experienced instructors. BICD currently has 11 Instructors on staff. To suggest that the entire staff have been sacked is simply not true.

When are we going to see you on the roof Steve?

Pete

Back
Top Bottom