Masks with Purge Valve VS. Masks Without [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Masks with Purge Valve VS. Masks Without

Sponsored Link

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Me and the wife are thinking of buying our first masks. We haven't been diving for long and are not sure what all the pro's and con's are of masks with purge valves and those without.

What we do know is that you need two hands to equalize with a mask with purge valve and that we've experienced more squeeze with masks that had a 'soft' nose.

Any advice from the more experinced, or does it also depend on personal preference ?

Kim
June 17th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I can't tell you yet - but my new Ocean Master Z4 with corrected lenses and yes - a purge valve - arrived this week. Weather permitting I'm going diving tomorrow so I'll post back what I think afterwards! One thing I already do know about them is that you have to wash out the valve very carefully after each dive. If any stuff starts to build up in the valve it will start to leak. The design looks very simple however - so that shouldn't be a problem.

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 06:51 PM
I can't tell you yet - but my new Ocean Master Z4 with corrected lenses and yes - a purge valve - arrived this week. Weather permitting I'm going diving tomorrow so I'll post back what I think afterwards! One thing I already do know about them is that you have to wash out the valve very carefully after each dive. If any stuff starts to build up in the valve it will start to leak. The design looks very simple however - so that shouldn't be a problem.

am thinking of buying one this weekend so will be able to compare notes after. It's more the wife that needs convincing than meself .... ;)

Mo2vation
June 17th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Me and the wife are thinking of buying our first masks. We haven't been diving for long and are not sure what all the pro's and con's are of masks with purge valves and those without.

What we do know is that you need two hands to equalize with a mask with purge valve and that we've experienced more squeeze with masks that had a 'soft' nose.

Any advice from the more experinced, or does it also depend on personal preference ?

Good to see you get back in the groove. In addition to being my very best friend, my wife is one of my dive buddies, too.

Here's my take. I always ask not do I need it, but can I do without it. To me, less features are always better.

I've never dove a purge / snot valve. I equalize with one hand on the descent - and its just never been a big deal. Wifie takes a LOT longer to equalize. But a purge mask wouldn't help that - she doesn't dive with one, either.

Purge valves are designed to be 1-way valves to blow water out, I guess. But clearing my mask, doing a full R&R (several, actually) in a single breath is no biggie. My mask doesn't leak. Ever. When my beloved Seavision started to trickle after about 4 years, I picked up a Cressi (Bug) Big Eye (last fall) that is dry - I mean bone-freeking dry. I may let in a little water if I'm fogging, but then I just do your basic mask clear and its back to being dry.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if your mask fits, why would you add a valve to it to drain it? I dove with face hair for years, and the trickle was no biggie... just pop the top, blow, its all better. But now that I'm smoooov, there is no leak. To me, its just another thing to babysit.

I just don't get the Thing + features = A Better Thing thinking.

K

ShakaZulu
June 17th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I agree, that purge thingy is a gimmick, you'll learn to clear that mask very quikly without and fancy drainage device. they work about as well as the snorkels with purge valves, the water still comes in.

Kim
June 17th, 2004, 06:57 PM
The main reason I quite like the idea is that I'm normally carrying a camera rig - so hands free clearing sounds (in theory) good. I agree though - it IS another failure point. Still I still have my old mask - and I can easily clear with one hand - so we'll see!

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if your mask fits, why would you add a valve to it? Its just another thing to babysit. I just don't get the Thing + features = A Better Thing.

K

Don't have problems mask-clearing, and do see your point for not needing extra gadgets and more complications. The mask in question, a Tusa model (Imprex Hyperdry) also fits well, and it would probably be that which will be the deciding factor.

Mo2vation
June 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Don't have problems mask-clearing, and do see your point for not needing extra gadgets and more complications. The mask in question, a Tusa model (Imprex Hyperdry) also fits well, and it would probably be that which will be the deciding factor.

Fit Fit Fit Fit Fit.

The 5 most important features in any mask.

Well, that and a black skirt.

:D

K

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Fit Fit Fit Fit Fit.

The 5 most important features in any mask.

Well, that and a black skirt.

:D

K

Black skirt ? Damn ..... this one doesn't have a black skirt. Nothin a bit of applied Magic Marker won't cure ... i guess.

Mo2vation
June 17th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Black skirt ? Damn ..... this one doesn't have a black skirt. Nothin a bit of applied Magic Marker won't cure ... i guess.

My first mask, in fact, most of us, our first mask is a clear skirt. There something about putting somethng black over our grill that is a little creepy for new divers, I think.

My first mask was a tri-window clear skirted thing... like strapping an aquarium to yo face. I dove with that for awhile. One day I took my sister on an intro dive... you know, where a non-diver watches a video then gets the gear on and goes down wo like 40' or so with an instructor working the BC, etc.

I went with sis (she was amazing) and the instructor saw my aquarium, and asked if I wanted to try a low volume black mask. So at depth he handed it to me (dude had a spare mask...) and I swapped.

WOAH

I was amazed. Without all that side light slamming my eyes I enjoyed it so much better. I expected to be all restricted and all tunnel vision like. It wasn't at all. In the end, fit is king, and you gotta be comfortable with your mask choice. I went black, and never went back. One of those things I had to try before I believed it.

K

Kim
June 17th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Well - mines blue - so I guess that rules out DIR! Actually - my first mask is a low volume black one (Mares Lyrica) - the trouble is it doesn't have corrected lenses in it - so I have a few problems reading camera settings/compass headings etc. I figure that if I don't like the purge valve I can always glue it shut!

ShakaZulu
June 17th, 2004, 07:30 PM
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2973&prmenbr=946&cgrfnbr=1353&parentCategory=&sort=prsdesc

Try this one, made a big stink when it first came out.............

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Well - mines blue - so I guess that rules out DIR! Actually - my first mask is a low volume black one (Mares Lyrica) - the trouble is it doesn't have corrected lenses in it - so I have a few problems reading camera settings/compass headings etc. I figure that if I don't like the purge valve I can always glue it shut!

Had the exact same thought there ! :eyebrow: Still leaves you with trouble equalizing ?? Could you manage that one-handed while carrying your gear ?

Kim
June 17th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Had the exact same thought there ! :eyebrow: Still leaves you with trouble equalizing ?? Could you manage that one-handed while carrying your gear ?
The valve is a flat piece under the nose - it's just soft material on the sides of the nose like a normal mask - it shouldn't be any problem. I always equalize with one hand (and clear my mask with one hand) so that's not a problem.

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 07:44 PM
The valve is a flat piece under the nose - it's just soft material on the sides of the nose like a normal mask - it shouldn't be any problem. I always equalize with one hand (and clear my mask with one hand) so that's not a problem.

That'd be the rub then. The one i'm looking at has a 'hard' nose ..... Should 'fit' the wife nicely then ;) ........

alemaozinho
June 17th, 2004, 08:57 PM

I personally like low volume masks with black skirts,just like the cressi super-occio and the omer-abyss,very comfortable and good field of vision,the silicon on this masks is extremely soft and gives an excellent seal,they also dont turn yellow like the clear skirt ones,i dont like purge valves in masks because of clearing issues and equalizing (past issues with students).Try a few different models before you buy and see which one is the most comfortable one for you guys.peace

AnZal
June 17th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I personally like low volume masks with black skirts,just like the cressi super-occio and the omer-abyss,very comfortable and good field of vision,the silicon on this masks is extremely soft and gives an excellent seal,they also dont turn yellow like the clear skirt ones,i dont like purge valves in masks because of clearing issues and equalizing (past issues with students).Try a few different models before you buy and see which one is the most comfortable one for you guys.peace

Thanx, and i'll definitely take these suggestions into account.

sparkyjames
June 17th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Well for what its worth I have over 50 dives on my mask with a purge valve.
dont know why I just bought it when I first started diving.
i bought it mostly because I liked the fit and the range of vision this modle of mask offerd.
it just happend to have a purge valve as well. ( was not a deciding factor )
but i can tell you I have no problem with mask squeeze,
and I am able to clear the mask if I need to useing just one hand.
I do not know why you think you need to to clear your mask but dive with what makes you more at ease.

my self I can breath out through my nose a little bit every so offten during the dive and keep the mask squeeze from becomeing a problem .

and this will allso help any water that may seep in to be blown out.

but then I can do all of these things with my back up masks both of which do not have a purge valve in them.
I picked them for the same reasons I chose the mask with a purge I liked the fit and the range of vision I got from them.
of the three mask I like the one with the purge in it the best. just fits better I think.
but it is all up to the diver any how.

Sparky .

QuoVadis
June 17th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Purge valves are awesome (on a good mask). Do NOT get a dark color skirt. The dark color blocks light entering your mask... The less light, the less you see. Clear skirts are best. And i repeat, Purge valves are great!!!

jagfish
June 18th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Holy "against the grain of thread flow" Batman!

My experience is the light that comes from a source other than what I can really see (through glass) adds nothing to my vision, and in fact can be distracting.

When I tried a purge mask, I found that over the course of a dive the purge valve irritated the bottom of my nose. Others I know have said the same. Maybe we all have a big schnoz?

JAG

Turtleguy9
June 18th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Fit is very important. As I think is the amount of light it lets in.
Purge or non purge? I never use my hands for clearing my ears, and it can be nice to have both those free to hang onto stuff, like cameras, downlines, and divers.
Once the purge mask is on, I do not have to touch it to clear out any water, from say an introductory diver bashing into me.
I like the Imprex Hyperdry.
Aloha Turtleguy

AnZal
June 18th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Fit is very important. As I think is the amount of light it lets in.
Purge or non purge? I never use my hands for clearing my ears, and it can be nice to have both those free to hang onto stuff, like cameras, downlines, and divers.
Once the purge mask is on, I do not have to touch it to clear out any water, from say an introductory diver bashing into me.
I like the Imprex Hyperdry.
Aloha Turtleguy

Thanx man ..... was waiting for someone who used that model. Thought it was just me but could swear that the field of vision was good. I like the solid square design too .... May just be a newbie who doesn't know any better thouhg .......

Boogie711
June 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Add another vote for black skirt/no purge. Fit is everything. I love my mask - a Cressi Big Eyes.

I have a Mares Seta with a clear skirt... it's OK too, but I found I do prefer the black skirt. It just makes everything a lot clearer down there.

AnZal
June 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Add another vote for black skirt/no purge. Fit is everything. I love my mask - a Cressi Big Eyes.

I have a Mares Seta with a clear skirt... it's OK too, but I found I do prefer the black skirt. It just makes everything a lot clearer down there.

And i've all but made up my mind ..... :crafty: .... I guess it'll mostly come down to personal preference and there'll always be as many people for as against ..... well, at least the world is still right-side-up ....... Thanx

Kim
June 19th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Well I tried my new mask yesterday. It was great. Actually it was such a good fit that I had to intentionally flood it a couple of times to see if the purge valve worked. It seemed fine.

Quarrior
June 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I guess it'll mostly come down to personal preference
Bingo, you win the prize. Don't let anyone tell you that some piece of gear that you like and are comfortable with is wrong.

SueMermaid
June 19th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Wow, you learn something new every day. I'm going to have to try a mask with a black skirt now.

Oh, and I think a purge valve is unneccessary. Less stuff = less that can go wrong. But that's just me.

AnZal
June 20th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Picked up the Imprex Hyperdry today and, weather permitting (been raining cats 'n dogs for 2 days :06: ), will use it this week and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the input!

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1