Dollars or pesos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deskjockey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to San Carlos very soon and would like to get the latest info on whether to get pesos from a currency exchange here in New York or an ATM in SC. I think I've seen on SB that one of the best places to get them is from an ATM. Anyone have any ideas on the service fees and size of the daily limits?

I've never used pesos down there except for when I was given change in pesos. They take the dollar pretty much everywhere. I did need to get some cash once and used the ATM. It pays out only Pesos at pretty much the going rate.

CB

dollars definately- no worries

Hey Deskjockey,
I just got back from Mexico on May 31st. The exchange rate then was 11.5 pesos/dollar. From my experience when paying with dollars is that you receive change based on 10 pesos/dollar. So depending on the exchange rate when you get there the pesos may actually be the cheaper route for you. However, if all you have is dollars then you may want to go and exchange them at a money exchange as they will usually give you a better exchange rate then a merchant will when receiving change. I hope that this helps.

Dave

Thanks ADaveZ,
At an extra 150 pesos per $100, this looks like the way to go. Maybe I can get a couple of extra T-shirts. dj

the other thing to keep in mind is you will be bartering for a lot of stuff, especially soviner type stuff. In that case you usually do teh deal in the currency you have, so the exchange rate is moot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom