Baker Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering if there is anything living in Baker Lake? Does anyone ever dive there? My husband claims there isn't because it is all snow runoff. I am going to try snorkeling there over 4th of July, but I don't know if I will be able to see anything since it is so deep. This will be a tent camping trip, and the only boat along will be a Ski Centurion, so diving it is out...

cowprintrabbit:
I was wondering if there is anything living in Baker Lake? Does anyone ever dive there? My husband claims there isn't because it is all snow runoff. I am going to try snorkeling there over 4th of July, but I don't know if I will be able to see anything since it is so deep. This will be a tent camping trip, and the only boat along will be a Ski Centurion, so diving it is out...
I've never dived there, but according to Washingtonlakes.com ,
"Baker Lake (Reservoir) (3,616 acres):
Located 6 miles northeast of Concrete, Baker has public access, a boat launch and resort. Fishing is good for kokanee in May and June and again in the fall. Baker also has very good rainbow fishing in early July. "
So, it sounds like there are some fish, which is more than we have at some of our inland locations. Why not do some shore dives and let us know how it is?
Have a good trip!

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'll let you know what I find out...

OK, now I'm really curious - just spent 3 odd hours on internet, and contacted LDS; it appears nobody dives Baker. Before I try this, is it prohibited? Or is there something down there nobody wants to tell me about (Nessie's summer home :eyebrow: )?

Christine,
Greetings
I'm the Boating Safety Coordinator for The Whatrcom County Sheriff and Baker Lake is in my territory.
I have been below the surface of the lake on a few not so joyous occasions looking for victims of one type of tragic event or another. About this time last year I had our divers in the lake and diving close to the safe limits. At the time visibilty was zero.
Be sure to watch out for stumps impregnated with fishhooks and other types of snags.
I suggest that you stay to the shallows. The bottom is mucky that turns to gravel as it gets deeper. When the bottom contour drops it tends to go straight down to depth.
I also suggest that you have a boat nearby to keep you safe from other boats that might not notice your presence.
Good luck.

Thanks, Stu! I snorkeled a bit off the ski boat on Saturday and it was like a layer of crystal clear water on top of a layer of chocolate milk... We were way out in the middle, so it was probably too deep to see anything even if it had been clear. I don't envy you guys your job, that is some cold water - thank you!

Back
Top Bottom