I could use some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtyFrank

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I'm a newly certified instructor and am currently on the hunt for a job.. I've come to find out that Maui Dive Shop is hiring and was wondering if anyone had any information about them...good or bad. I'm trying to make an informed decision though I have a feeling I really can't go wrong in Hawaii. Thanks.

-Phil

Sorry, wrong Island for me. But I'm sure someone with come along with an answer for ya.
Aloha,
Lisa

I've heard mixed reviews about MDS. A friend on the island had a nickname for them that was none-too-kind.

One thing I've heard from other dive instructors on Maui is that you should expect to work there -- certifying 6-10 people per week would not be considered uncommon in the high-season, apparently.

Another thing to consider: the larger shops are going to be more concerned about getting the customers in, certified & out, as they make their money on volume. Be aware that MDS is a large shop and as such, your quality of instruction might be impeded by their polices (AKA terms of employment).

Just a heads up. I'm sure if you can get a job there that will pay your bills, you would be quite happy! :)

KrisB:
Just a heads up. I'm sure if you can get a job there that will pay your bills, you would be quite happy! :)
Ya gotta have alotta love for diving too...we're not doing it for the money....lol

The MDS is always advertising for instructors. They do go through a lot of them which speaks for itself. I know that many of their instructors purchase their gear from other shops as the MDS doesn't offer much of a discount.

But if living on Maui meant working for them, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

DirtyFrank:
Hi I'm a newly certified instructor and am currently on the hunt for a job.. I've come to find out that Maui Dive Shop is hiring and was wondering if anyone had any information about them...good or bad. I'm trying to make an informed decision though I have a feeling I really can't go wrong in Hawaii. Thanks.

-Phil

Aloha Phil!
Is your heart set on Maui? Are you a licensed Captain? Do you only want to teach? IE, is teaching your primary focus? What length of time do you plan to stay in Hawaii? I'm not just asking because I am curious. Feel free to PM.

BTW, I suggest that you change your response in your profile under "Occupation" to anything but your current answer of "SLACKER".
It might be funny, but it sure isn't professional.

Matthew J D'Avella

I work part time in the same mall as one of the MDS and have spoken with employees there a number of times - all of them seem very friendly and eager to help, however they are also quite often uninformed per a mention (though not by name) in this thread http://scubaboard.com/t59288.html. I have also visited two other MDS and have ALWAYS been treated very kindly, curteously and in a friendly, helpful manner (Probably the most friendly of the dive shops I have visited). As noted above they do seem to have a high turnover rate, but this may be due in part to the transient nature of Maui (the west side in particular) as we have a lot of young people who move here to work for a year or so as a way of visiting the island before moving on to a career on the mainland. They tend to be a nice group of folks, but they frequently have no intention of remaining for long.

I don't know about working for them, but I had a great OW instructor that was a retired petroleum geologist and seemed to teach part-time. She was in no hurry to get me certified, in fact we had to wait a few days until the right conditions before going out in the open water, She was as thorough as any instructor I've had since. I also did a few dives on their boat to Lanai' and the instructors on the boat appeared happy and competent.

Aloha Dirty Frank,

MDS is a big shop and employs lots of folks in the diving world here. They can get you started and then, like most people who work there, you will probably leave them to find work at a different shop once you know the local scene. The diving is good; the pay??? I know lots of people who work there and really like it. You should check them out if you really want to come to Maui. They have a very well known name here.

Aloha and good luck to you,

Shaka Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom