class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Freely

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a spearfishing/local fish class on Saturday. I'm very pumped. I've been an avid hunter since I was about 8 and can't wait to bring home a couple fish for dinner after dives.

Skip Freely:
I'm taking a spearfishing/local fish class on Saturday. I'm very pumped. I've been an avid hunter since I was about 8 and can't wait to bring home a couple fish for dinner after dives.

You are gonna LOVE it! My diving changed drastically after I tried it. I used to be exclusively a wreck diver who took pictures with a POS camera. Now I have much more fun on the wrecks.

It will change you forever!

Just knowing you can actually select what's for dinner, and then have it truly fresh will spoil you... as the Lovely Young Kat says, "restaurants lie" when they say "fresh" fish.
Rick

Wondering how common it is to spear a fish or two for dinner towards the end of a dive? I like amberjack and have ascended right through a school of them on a couple of occasions when I've been in Florida. The thought crossed my mind that it couldn't get to the grill much fresher.

Nice fish you have there mb. My OW instructor does a lot of fishing and has told me some funny stories. I'm going on a dive Sunday morn so I'll report back to you on my first underwater gaming experience.

Windminstrel:
You can catch tuna and Mako in RI? Good lord, I didn't know that -- here I come! Can you fish those off the shore, or do you need a boat dive?

Actually, those weren't caught on a pole spear or caught by me. I was just commenting about the freshest of the fresh for seafood. I was just lucky enough to be there for boats coming into the harbor with those just caught fish.

For the record, I did get close enough to a large school of yellow fin tuna while on a safety stop from the RP Resor wreck in NJ. This wreck is far offshore and vis. was 50+ ft. A school of at least 40-50 yellow fin tuna went by us at 20 feet. A speargun would have been useful here, but a pole spear would have been worthless.

The class was entertaining. Learned about different types of guns, pole spears and hawaiin slings. I ended up buying a Riffe on Saturday as the guy who taught our class gave us a nice 25% discount on any gun in the store.

I went out on the 4th and shot my first fish. 1st try (my buddy/gf was impressed). It was a nice sized Sea Bass and it tasted pretty good that night. I'm addicted now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom