looking for spearfishing buddies/alabama area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmcgill

Reaction score
hey guys i am loking for some spear fishing buddies to go with me from time to time out of the dauphin island alabama area.i have a 26 ft world cat boat.and plenty of good wrecks to hunt.public and private.plus of course the abundance of offshore drilling platforms in the area.
i work as a tug boat capt so i generally work 10 to 20 days and then am home for 10 to 20 days.during that off time i will be looking for folks who can dive mainly on week days, but may possibly have weekend spots open from time to time also.

before you jump on the band wagon here are the down sides to my offer.
i am fairly new to diving and spearfishing,so i would like for whomever my dive buddy is to take turns with me as the shooter.always having one or the other of us watching out for the one with the gun and keeping him or her out of trouble,and watching the computer to be sure we dont get too distracted.
i would like for you to be able to help offset fuel expenses.
i will untill a time at which i am more comfortable with my abilities as a spearo not be hunting in more than 130 fsw.
i may also take some time to do some hook and line fishing on these trips.
i dont come home early!!!!!many a wife has been pissed off at me for bringing her husband home at well past dark.so let them know that if your not home before midnite it doesnt mean call the coast guard.
generally we will be back at the dock by dark though.
i like to do 3 to 4 tanks worth of diving in a day, so if ya only want to do 1 or 2 dives you probably dont need to be my dive buddy.
well anyhow if you are still interested let me know or keep an eye on this thread as i will be posting dates here more than likely.
right now my next dates are looking like june 30th and july first.after that i am going to colorado for 9 days or so but will probably be doing some more diving when i get back from that trip.

I may be interested in trips during the weekend. I work Mon-Fri and I'm out of town for atleast one night a week to do work in the New Orleans area - so my week days are pretty shot for diving except the weekly night/shore dive I've been enjoying off of Gulf Shores.

I'd be using a pole-spear, so I'd only be interested in trips where I can get really really close to the food :wink:

I wouldn't mind being your buddy and letting you do all the fishing if its a place I've never been and I can look around a bit.

I'm supposed to be on vacation in Gulf Shores the last full week in July. I'd be interested if that coincides with your time off.

hey suprbugman.i will definitely keep you in mind for weekend spots when they are available, there is a good chance that that will be fairly often,since i dont have all that many dive buddies yet and my boat is capable of hauling out several folks.also loking around is fine i do more of that that anything else.and i have several good private spots that shpould provide plenty of life to look at as well as shoot.plus pretty much every spot i have been to recently has had at least one or two resident pairs of blue angels and several butteryfly fish,not to mention countless beau gregorys cocoa damsels and other fish.
wrong key that might work out great for me, i should be back from my trip to colorada by then and there is a good chance i will still have some off time from work so the last week in july might work out greaqt, we will see,if you are staying in gulf shores i could probably pick you up at the ferry landing at fort morgan wich is just a 5 or 10 min trip for me from where i launch my boat on dauphin island.
i will try and pm you guys and if that doesnt work i will post my email for ya.

That can actually work quite nicely... The Ft. Morgan meeting point.

I live in Robertsdale, so getting to Ft. Morgan is much easier for me than heading North, then West, then way the hell South towards you :D LOL! Not to say that I wouldn't do it for some good cheap boat dives!

hey supr yeah as long as i have someone to help me get the boat launched and loaded i would definitely not have a prob with running across to ft morgan.also if i needed help launching and loading you could also ride the ferry across asw it lands right at the boat ramp where i launch.
how deep do you feel comfortable diving? i have several good large non public spots in about 120 ft of water that i have been wanting to dive.they should be quite scenic and have good abundance of sea life on them.as they are not public spots.and i think they would make great dives. a couple of shrimp boats a pogy boat and a crew boat would probably be the most scenic.for shooting i have some chicken coops and a school bus that should be jam up and jelly tight.

I've been certified since the very end of last summer, not very long, but I have more than 40 dives under my belt and I feel pretty damned comfortable in the water. My deepest dive has been to 89' and I was as comfortable at that depth as I am at 30'. I'm down for a 120' dive :) however short the dive may last... LOL Maybe I should look into Nitrox!

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've been certified since the very end of last summer, not very long, but I have more than 40 dives under my belt and I feel pretty damned comfortable in the water. My deepest dive has been to 89' and I was as comfortable at that depth as I am at 30'. I'm down for a 120' dive :) however short the dive may last... LOL Maybe I should look into Nitrox!

yeah we might not get tons of bottom time but these wrecks have big schools of amber jack and other fish that hand mid water so we can atleast enjoy the saftey stop.and then we can move in closer for later dives to get better bottom times, or go to one of the rigs 40 to 60 miles out that dont get alot of pressure and hold lots of fish and encrusting life at all depths.

Sounds great to me whatever the case, I'll enjoy some new sights!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom