Malapascua in July???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Anyone been to Malapascua, Philippines in July before? I'm booking a 6 night, 7 day holiday there for the first time (dived in El Nido a few years back) with the hope of seeing Thresher sharks and other pelagics.

Can anyone tell me if early July is a good time to go?

Thanks

July is well past the peak season of Jan-Mar or thereabouts. Was there this April and sightings were already way down.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks DocVikingo

How long were you there for and what did you think/see? I'm booked now, but I'm hoping there'll be some interesting stuff going on without too much weather turbulance.

Looking forward to finding out what you thought re. standards of diving/the resorts/the whole shabang!

Cheers,

Mermaid

Hi Mermaid,

I'm in the same bucket as you; am booked out to Philip's in the mid of the month and plan to get down to Malapascua to do same and can't decide about who to go with and where to stay or if I should do a package.

The advice about bubble07 and exotic seems to fit what my web-hunting has hinted at, even if they aren't the cheapest there.

I was a bit concerned about the weather and vis because a friend in the North of Philippines has been hit by a typhoon, but I'm told that Malap is missed by most of them and diving is OK year-round, if a bit rainy at times.

Exotic's house reef is drawing me right now, but accom prices are far above others.

Jem Hmmmmmmmmmm

I'll be there in October...so, please let me know how it goes.

By the way, I'm picky with accommodations as I hate insects. I've heard that Exotic is better, but again it's third party information.

I was there mid June 2003.
I stayed at Exotic, as they were the only resort that had electricity 24/7, so that I could have the fan on all night and also recharge my batteries. A nice resort.
Ended up diving with Sea Explorers, on the very opposite
end of the beach, so I got some exercise every morning. They were both more or less the same price. The only reason I chose them was because they were going to "Sunken Island" (Monad Shoal) the next day. Did one dive there and didn't see any sharks. Skipped the early dive the next day - and they of course saw a shark- Oh well, at least I didn't have to get up at 5 am on my holiday two days in a row... :)

They have AC rooms too, just that I prefer fan as I tend to get a cold from AC...

Straight from Exotics homepage (http://www.malapascua.net/)

"We offer standard rooms with fan/aircon or Delux air-conditioned with mini bar,
satellite TV, Hot & Cold water."

I'm paid 800 pesos for a double room (breakfast not included) with fan - low season.

Cockroaches and Gekkos ? - None that I saw. A clean, friendly place, no complaints at all. Under Dutch supervision/ownership - if that makes you feel in any particulare way... :/

Hi,

I was in malapascua 29th May to 02 June & dived with bubble07. We went out v.early around 5.30am to Shark Point & saw thresher sharks (1-3 per dive) every day. Accordingly to the local DM, December is a good time for thresher sightings (possibly 10 at each dive) & even hammerheads...will definitely go back there soon..

Here is a link to my pix gallery.

http://sg.homeunix.com/jovin/Malapascua

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom