good bottle sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Perhaps wreck diving would be the best fit for information on destinations for bottle hunting. I'm from Albany New York, the Lake George area and would like to explore other sites for bottle hunting. In particular, 19 century or older bottles are my quest. Are there any other enthusiasts out there who bottle hunt ( which often equates to digging in the mud) Perhaps there are wreck areas where bottles would also be present, such as in the caribbean, great lakes etc. Are there any good sources for locating dive sites for this topic? Does this topic have its own magazine, like treasure hunting, or metal detecting? Any information would be appreciated.

Well I know a good place for bottles but I don't think they are the type you are looking for.

There is a stretch of the Niagara River that is littered with 1960's era pop bottles. I can't believe how many. One dive I was board and in 45 min I picked up 8 :eek:

Along the river you also come across some very old ones but I have not been that lucky yet. :(

Aw the lure of artifact hunting. Cooper river is a fine place to find artifacts. Only thing is you never know what your looking for, You are liable to find Megladon Teeth, shark teeth, 1700 clay pipes, all types of fossils, bottles or jugs. You just never know. Check out Off the wall diving. http://www.offthewalldiving.com/divesites.html You can cut it down to get to his home page a good source for info.

I haven't been there myself but I found this link a long while ago and definately plan to dive this site myself loking for goodies (so save me some if you go! hehehe)

Garbage Dive Site

If anyone else has been here care to share the experience?

Garbage pickingly,

Spydertek

I've picked some pretty sewwt 19th century bottles out of the upper Niagara River between Buffalo and Niagara falls...
Although it has been highly picked over I'v gott 100 year old marmalade containers, depression glass, really old glass,pewter ink wells etc.. Need a sharp eye thoughcurrent can be ripping:)

Daisho is so jealous of my stuff:)

NINJA

Bottle Hunter,
if you jump over to the Wreck Valley Divers (very bottom of the main forum page) and ask again, they may be able to tell you where the old train ran off the tracks and into the Delaware River in Philly. I can't remember the specifics, but I believe it was carry beer bottles and is quite a number of years old. Again, you're probably looking for old old old stuff, but this may be a fun dive all the same.

There's a site in Atlantic Highlands, NJ that is pretty productive. I have found a few late 19th century bottles in there. Depth is about 15' and needs to be dove at high slack tide.

There is also a spot down in South Jersey known as the Deauville Inn, but I haven't been down there in years.

I did find a real nice 1860's bottle down in the Cooper river a few years back.

The Delaware River Train Wreck probably would not interest you much. A bunch of Miller beer bottles.

There was another thread a few months backhttp://www.scubaboard.com/t39405.html

I have also dove the Immaculata.

There are a few wrecks around NY/NJ known for giving up bottles:

The Lizzie D (1920's prohibition era) I have several of these.

The Oregon (1880's) I saw two bottles come up in November

Delaware (1898) I have only one

Emerald (1800's) I have seen several full ginger ale bottles come up over the years

Canadaguia Lake has a place called Whiskey Point where a lot of whiskey was dumped during the time alcohol was banned. I have been there once but didn't find anything, but I didn't go very deep either.

wrekdiver2:
There was another thread a few months backhttp://www.scubaboard.com/t39405.html

I have also dove the Immaculata.

There are a few wrecks around NY/NJ known for giving up bottles:

The Lizzie D (1920's prohibition era) I have several of these.

The Oregon (1880's) I saw two bottles come up in November

Delaware (1898) I have only one

Emerald (1800's) I have seen several full ginger ale bottles come up over the years

I think the Lizzie is almost cleaned out. I got one beginning of last season, (nice Johnny Walker one) and heard of only one other that came up last year.

Agree Oregon still has a lot to give.

Further west (from me) is the R. C. Mohawk, still good for a wide range of bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom