How to make a better bug hunter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjgibo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
aloha gang,

I was wondering what techniques do you guys use when going bug hunting? I am moving to San Diego from Hawaii( I know why would I do something crazy like that) but anyways I hear bug season will be opening soon after I arrive and so I would love to go get some fresh bugs. So looking for some advice or pointers whatever it may be.

I deal with the lobsters that have claws but this advice should hold up for you..........

Be quick and have no fear

:wink:

salty:
I deal with the lobsters that have claws but this advice should hold up for you..........

Be quick and have no fear

:wink:

OOhhh quick man gotta work on that, no fear i can do but quick i am not sure of, haha

See, now if I were in Salty's situation I'd feel the opposite of jjgibo :) I could be quick(I'd have to be) but I'd be fearing the hell outa not being quick enough if I were dealing with some mean pincers!

Keep your eyes wide open and don't look where other hunters have just been.

Remember the bug hunter's motto :

" Catching them is easy,,,,,,, finding them is the hard part !! "

where i hunt for bugs the we are generally hunting for spiny lobster. and the most common technique is to tickle and net.to do this you just need a 3 ft or so length of small diameter rod made of whatever. and a net.when you find a suitable bug i generall have the net in my left hand and the tickle stick in the right. i put the net to the right side of the opening the bug is in and slide the stick in from the right side.the idea is to tap the bug from behind with the stick making him think that something is trying to get him from behind at which point he turns around and comes crawfishing out of his hidey hole and with any luck into your waiting net.
with a little practice this technique works great.there are some areas wher ethis is illegal though.so check your regs.
in some areas no nets or sticks are allowed and it is free diving only.

tmcgill:
where i hunt for bugs the we are generally hunting for spiny lobster. and the most common technique is to tickle and net.to do this you just need a 3 ft or so length of small diameter rod made of whatever. and a net.when you find a suitable bug i generall have the net in my left hand and the tickle stick in the right. i put the net to the right side of the opening the bug is in and slide the stick in from the right side.the idea is to tap the bug from behind with the stick making him think that something is trying to get him from behind at which point he turns around and comes crawfishing out of his hidey hole and with any luck into your waiting net.
with a little practice this technique works great.there are some areas wher ethis is illegal though.so check your regs.
Tickle sticks and nets are a no-no in California for bug hunting while on SCUBA!
You need to scout out some good spots a few weeks in advance of opening night so you are not wasting your time on opening night looking where the bugs aint! And as Salty said, you need to be quick and fearless.

tmcgill:

Speaking just of catching spinny lobster in the Fla. keys.

My technique with a tickle stick is a bit different. When I tickle the lobster it will come out but always facing me. I ease my net over and behind the lobster. Because as soon as the lobster thinks he is clear of his hole you have proded him out of, he will use his tail to quicklly propel himself backwards up and away from you very quickly. These guys can move faster than you can swim by far. I've never seen a lobster turn around and face away from me. Anyway, when he takes off, he will shoot right into the net, assuming you have it in the right position. If he doesn't take off immediately, just lower the net over him.

Once in the net, grab him very quickly. He will be going crazy wanting out of the net. The longer you linger, the greater the chance he will get out, or at the other extreme, become more entangled in the net. Of course, you better be wearing some heavy duty gloves when you grab the fellow else you will quickly learn why they are called "spinny" lobsters. hehe

Once you have a good grip on the guy, while still in the net, measure to ensure he is of the minimum length. If so, work him out of the net and fold his tail up under him and push him throw the trap door, tail first, into your catch bag. Gather you equipment back up and go find the next bug!

Yummy!!!!

Gibo,
To me, CA bugs seem to move a tiny bit slower and have a different color from the FLA variety of crayfish which are a little dusky or mottled, reddish brown. In shallow water, CA bugs appear distinctly red. Taste is similar.The same caveats apply as with all southern bug hunting, look out for sea urchins when getting ready to grab. There are several techniques but divers often grab big bugs by the horns, both at once and right at the base. Otherwise they may break. Grab smaller ones by the body. Some divers in San Diego harbor can be seen using mops to entangle the things. I don't know how well it works. Like all lobsters insert in the bag tail first. Opening season is a big deal and there are a lotta divers out there. You need to charter to Cortez Bank or team up with locals. Try contacting a dive club and/or dive shop.

Eddy:

Your technique works fine but takes a lot of skill. I have seen many novice buggers try it and spook the lobster because they see the motion of the net or detect it with their antenae. An easier technique for a beginner is to hold the net at right angels to the hole (left hand side if you are a righty), SLOWLY tickle the bug out, and then push his tail toward the net. It will then try to "escape" into the net.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom