Conshelf fans welcomed [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Conshelf fans welcomed

Sponsored Link
Pages : [1] 2

Calvinator
June 26th, 2004, 05:19 AM
How many models of Conshelves are out there? I've only heard of Conshelf XIV and Conshelf 22. Are there other Conshelf models out there?

AevnsGrandpa
June 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM
I have 2 Conshelf SE2's. One is my primary and the other is my octo.

Jeff

rescuediver009
June 26th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I know that there are alot fo them in circulation around here. If they weren't an arm and a leg to service they would be great regs. (they still are though). If they have the env. kit on them though they can skip some years for service of the first stage.

glbirch
June 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I'm still using a Conshelf XIV(?), built in 1974. Great reg, breathes well, hasn't failed me yet. Rescudiver009 is right about the first stage. I take it in every year for servicing but most times nothing needs to be done with it.

Queen
June 26th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I kick myself for getting rid of my conshelf XIV, best reg I ever had.

buds
June 27th, 2004, 03:01 AM
I have owned an SE2 for a looooong time ,, recently bought a Legend Lx Supreme... But i still feel guilty using my SE2 as an Octo...(Think im going through some kind of withdrawl. )I get it serviced once every year ,, i dont care what it costs..Wonderful work horse no nonsense regulator

garyfotodiver
June 27th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I have used a US Divers SE3 regulator for several years. The first stage is almost identical to that of my Conshelf XII. The SE3 costs about $75 to service, which includes the octo and guages. There is no reason for me to switch regulators.

After a rebuild, I plan to use the XII in cold water.

Calvinator
June 28th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Are there any photos on the web for the abovesaid models? Just being very curious of how the look and perform like. Is the Lengend LX performing better than the Conshelf or the pther way round?

DA Aquamaster
June 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
I routinely see Conshelf XII's and XIV's in addition to the newer variants come through the shop for service. Essentially the major difference bewteen models is the port arrangements with some differences in the number of Lp ports and hose sizes. Internally they are essentially identical and take the same annual service kit.

Calvinator
June 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Is there a Conshelf out there with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage?

jamiep3
June 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM
The Conshelf XIV is still listed on the Aqualung website. There is a picture of it also.

I've got 2.

Sub diver
June 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I have a conshelf 21 and a XIV, both great. Bullet proof and they get bashed around alot but always work. They have to be one of the most reliable regs made, and they tend to breath very well also.

DiveTyme
June 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
My XIV has been in service since '83. It still gets about 40- 50 dives a year and has never failed.
Tim

Calvinator
July 1st, 2004, 06:33 AM
Any Conshelves with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage??

rescuediver009
July 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Any Conshelves with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage??

Not to my knowledge, 3 or four LP ports depending on the version and 1 HP. OLD SCHOOL:)

Calvinator
July 2nd, 2004, 01:25 AM
Not to my knowledge, 3 or four LP ports depending on the version and 1 HP. OLD SCHOOL:)

Is it technicallay possible (or safe) to combine a Conshelf XIV's 2nd stage to a Legend's 1st stage? (Cause I'm sure that Legend's 1st stage has 2 HP ports.) And can we get this custom made combination anywhere?

Hallmac
July 2nd, 2004, 04:14 AM
Is it technicallay possible (or safe) to combine a Conshelf XIV's 2nd stage to a Legend's 1st stage? (Cause I'm sure that Legend's 1st stage has 2 HP ports.) And can we get this custom made combination anywhere?

Yes you may combine the two. Just order the first stage and add it to your 2nd. I would recommend dropping the factory IP just a touch though. You could also use the SEA 1 stage if you are just looking for two HP ports.

Hallmac

Calvinator
July 3rd, 2004, 12:51 PM
Yes you may combine the two. Just order the first stage and add it to your 2nd. I would recommend dropping the factory IP just a touch though. You could also use the SEA 1 stage if you are just looking for two HP ports.

Hallmac

2 questions:

1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.
2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

Regards,
Calvin

rescuediver009
July 3rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
2 questions:

1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.
2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

Regards,
Calvin

The factory HP is ideal... for most modern regs. The older ones used to run a little lower.
I think that the SEA was suggested because as I recall the Legend is an over balanced first stage and the Conshelf second stage is not balanced to accept and benfeit from the increase in intermediate pressure as you descend. Just like the Apeks. The SEA is a similar to conshelf first stage just with 2 HP ports. Another consideration is the Cousteau first stage as it is still on the Aqualung website, shown with the Glacia second stage.
http://www.aqualung.com/products/cousteau_glacia.html

Hallmac
July 3rd, 2004, 03:09 PM
2 questions:

(1) Why wanna lower down the factory default IP settings? What's the purpose? I've always thought that factory's settings are ideal for most cases, if not all.

True however unfortunately most shops are not equipped to measure spring tension on the low pressure poppet. As it ages it loses closing pressure. With an over balanced 1st, as you descend it slightly increases the IP to assist your breathing under pressure. If the second stage had been set to breath as light as possible without free flow and the IP increases an older spring may not have the closing pressure to over come the incoming air and start free flowing. By lowering the IP slightly the spring has a little better chance of handling the demand and stopping flow when necessary. ( yes replacing the spring could also assist to a point) The new Legends have a balanced 2nd stage to handle this issue.

(2) What's the SEA? What does it mean? Sorry, I'm new here, hence I don't quite get some abbreviations. Sorry.

It is a series name that was used with the Micra, Impulse, and some of the conshelf 2nds. It is chrome and has the same appearance as the new Legend 1st stage without the angled ports. It is a balanced diaphragm with two Hp ports opposite of each other and 4 Lp ports. 2 on each side.

Hallmac

Calvinator
July 4th, 2004, 10:15 AM
It is a series name that was used with the Micra, Impulse, and some of the conshelf 2nds. It is chrome and has the same appearance as the new Legend 1st stage without the angled ports. It is a balanced diaphragm with two Hp ports opposite of each other and 4 Lp ports. 2 on each side.

Is Aqualung able to sell the 1st Stage and 2nd Stage Primary separately? I'm not sure whether my LDS can provide me the Legend 1st Stage and Conshelf XIV 2nd Stage only. I saw them having both, but in full sets. What my concern is, they might tell me to get both full sets and combine them myself to get the combination that I wanted.

Calvin.

rescuediver009
July 4th, 2004, 02:45 PM
You can always buy any first stage and any second stage from any manufacturer. It is just a matter of your shop calling and ordering it for you. I can't imagine why you would want this combination though....

Calvinator
July 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM
You can always buy any first stage and any second stage from any manufacturer. It is just a matter of your shop calling and ordering it for you. I can't imagine why you would want this combination though....

let's put it in simple terms:

I'm looking for a conshelf that has 2 hp ports.

Simple!

But I think it's not available in Malaysia. That's the diffficult part here. Too bad for me. :(

garyfotodiver
July 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Simple!

But I think it's not available in Malaysia. That's the diffficult part here. Too bad for me. :(

Why not use a swivel adaptor? That is what I am doing so I can fit an octopus and BC inflator to my Conshelf XII.

Calvinator
July 7th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Why not use a swivel adaptor? That is what I am doing so I can fit an octopus and BC inflator to my Conshelf XII.

Dear Gary,

First things first. I'm a new diver. Hence, I neither don't know what's a swivel adaptor, seen it nor heard of it. Help me knowing this "thing" in simple terms. Thanks. Secondly, does it work on high pressure ports? Thanks again.

Regards,
Calvin ;)

rescuediver009
July 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Dear Gary,

First things first. I'm a new diver. Hence, I neither don't know what's a swivel adaptor, seen it nor heard of it. Help me knowing this "thing" in simple terms. Thanks. Secondly, does it work on high pressure ports? Thanks again.

Regards,
Calvin ;)

It is an adapter that converts one LP port into three. Useful I suppose, but kind of a failure point. I guess it is another option for you.
http://65.108.41.216/5050-3.html

bill_bain
July 7th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Well, I've got a Conshelf XI that's my primary regulator (bought new in 1971) with a SeaQuest combo 2nd stage/power inflator that was added later to replace a std. USD octopus. The 1st stage has been replaced with one from a Conshelf Supreme, but I still have the XI first stage tucked away. My son has a Conshelf 22 that's his primary regulator w/the USD octopus, and I have a Conshelf XIV with octopus as a spare. None of them have multiple HP ports and the number of LP ports seems to vary -- the XI and XIV have 2 and the 22 and Supreme have 3 LP ports.

Not sure what the use would be for multiple HP ports, so perahps someone can elaborate. Generally folks need all the LP ports they can get. :-)

They're great regulators and I like the fact that the brass ones, although heavy, are definitely built to last. Just for giggles, I also have an Aqualung Royal Aquamaster 2 hose that's fun to haul out on the dive boat just for the wierd looks I get!

Bill Bain
Atlanta

Calvinator
July 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Not sure what the use would be for multiple HP ports, so perahps someone can elaborate. Generally folks need all the LP ports they can get. :-)

Dear Bill,
I would say that I want 2 high pressure ports for an analog pressure gauge and a transmitter for a dive computer.

Calvin.

bill_bain
July 8th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Point noted. In the recreational diving that I do, a backup analog pressure guage is not needed so it didn't occur to me.

iIRC, the diameter and threads are different for HP and LP ports, so a LP swivel adapter wouldn't work. Not sure how many, if any regulators have more than one HP port.

Calvinator
July 9th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Point noted. In the recreational diving that I do, a backup analog pressure guage is not needed so it didn't occur to me.

iIRC, the diameter and threads are different for HP and LP ports, so a LP swivel adapter wouldn't work. Not sure how many, if any regulators have more than one HP port.

Many models, in fact, of many makes. ;)

gaudencio
July 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM
I use a Conshelf SE2 with a Calypso 6 secocnd stage as octo.
These regs are so durable I'm still waiting for it to be unusable so that i will change regs. but i think these might out live my diving years. And I'm already diving since 1981.
During the early years my main air supply is the Calypso 6.
Logged in more than 500 dives then I just stopped counting.

Hallmac
July 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Is Aqualung able to sell the 1st Stage and 2nd Stage Primary separately? I'm not sure whether my LDS can provide me the Legend 1st Stage and Conshelf XIV 2nd Stage only. I saw them having both, but in full sets. What my concern is, they might tell me to get both full sets and combine them myself to get the combination that I wanted.

Calvin.

Yes! they will sell them seperately. Your dive shop should be able and willing to set it up. If you already have the Conshelf why would you want to order it again? just pick up the 1st stage and combine them.

Hall

bill_bain
July 9th, 2004, 09:56 PM
OK, since I haven't bought a regulator in many, many years, I haven't really looked at the new ones. Heck, I can remember having to test dive a prototype UW diver communication system for SUNY Selden because the other oceanographer's regulator was a Calypso J with only ONE LP port. The comm system required a second LP port and my Connie XI had 2 LP ports. Damn cold test in January in Long Island Sound to boot!

Back to the original post though, I do not think that the Conshelf series came with multiple HP ports. Of course, you could always substitute a first stage from another regulator and use a Conshelf second stage.

Calvinator
July 11th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Yes! they will sell them seperately. Your dive shop should be able and willing to set it up. If you already have the Conshelf why would you want to order it again? just pick up the 1st stage and combine them.

Hall

That's my problem, I don't have them both. Neither the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage primary nor the Legend 1st stage. :eyebrow:

garyfotodiver
July 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Why do you believe that you will have a better regulator if you "pick and choose" components?

Calvinator
July 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Why do you believe that you will have a better regulator if you "pick and choose" components?

I don't believe that I'll get a better combination compared to the standard ones. It's just my personal preference. That's all. ;)

Technically, the original combinations for each Conshelf XIV and Legend should be better when suited with their respective 1st and 2nd stages. But, the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage looks better than the Legend 2nd stage. And the Legend 1st stage has 2 HP ports, which is what I need: 1 for analog gauge and 1 for transmitter.

Regards,
Calvin. :eyebrow:

rescuediver009
July 12th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I don't believe that I'll get a better combination compared to the standard ones. It's just my personal preference. That's all. ;)

Technically, the original combinations for each Conshelf XIV and Legend should be better when suited with their respective 1st and 2nd stages. But, the Conshelf XIV 2nd stage looks better than the Legend 2nd stage. And the Legend 1st stage has 2 HP ports, which is what I need: 1 for analog gauge and 1 for transmitter.

Regards,
Calvin. :eyebrow:

so why not buy a standard legend, and use the provided second stage as an octo and use your precious conshelf as a primary. If looks are more important to you than performance. Don't know why you would want to do that. Too lazy to check but has it been mentioned that the legend is over balanced and the conshelf is not balanced.? Less than ideal

DA Aquamaster
July 13th, 2004, 12:22 AM
I would not mix and match if it could be avoided, not because it could not be made to work but because it is less than ideal and you really don't gain enough with the remote/mechanical spg combination to make it worthwhile.

Consequently I would be more inclined to stick with a conshelf first stage and change my perception of needing two HP ports for both a transmitter and a mechanical SPG.

If the transmitter fails, just abort the dive. You should be checking it frequently enough to know within a couple hundred psi how much you have left, and if you have not been checking it enough, it's irrelevent as you either have enough air to finish the dive, or you don't and having a backup SPG announce the fact you are screwed does not really do much for you as Elvis will have already left the building so to speak.

If you end up having to abort more than once a season, then just dump the transmitter and use a regular SPG. In my experience, the transmitter can be unreliable and a normal SPG makes more sense. In 20 years of diving and over 1700 dives, I have never had a mechancial SPG fail.

Calvinator
July 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM
so why not buy a standard legend, and use the provided second stage as an octo and use your precious conshelf as a primary. If looks are more important to you than performance. Don't know why you would want to do that. Too lazy to check but has it been mentioned that the legend is over balanced and the conshelf is not balanced.? Less than ideal

is the conshelf 14 not balanced? i didn't know that. so to say, that making a legend into an octopus is quite costly.

Calvinator
July 16th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I would not mix and match if it could be avoided, not because it could not be made to work but because it is less than ideal and you really don't gain enough with the remote/mechanical spg combination to make it worthwhile.

Consequently I would be more inclined to stick with a conshelf first stage and change my perception of needing two HP ports for both a transmitter and a mechanical SPG.

If the transmitter fails, just abort the dive. You should be checking it frequently enough to know within a couple hundred psi how much you have left, and if you have not been checking it enough, it's irrelevent as you either have enough air to finish the dive, or you don't and having a backup SPG announce the fact you are screwed does not really do much for you as Elvis will have already left the building so to speak.

If you end up having to abort more than once a season, then just dump the transmitter and use a regular SPG. In my experience, the transmitter can be unreliable and a normal SPG makes more sense. In 20 years of diving and over 1700 dives, I have never had a mechancial SPG fail.

the problem is, most mechanical depth gauges tend to corrode at the max depth reset screw and it gets very tight.

airbornescubaguy
July 16th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I have a Conshelf XIV and an Aquarius. I like both of them and can barely tell the differance between the two. For those of you who are interested I found a site that will sell me individual components (because I'm a GI) so I can service my own. Here is the site, just click on the desired model and a parts breakdown should load: http://www.amronintl.com/diving/products.cfm?id=1122

garyfotodiver
July 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Just got an Omniswivel LP adaptor so I can add an octo and BC inflator to my Conshelf XII. It looks great, fits well, and I can't wait to try it out.

rescuediver009
July 17th, 2004, 10:46 PM
is the conshelf 14 not balanced?
Not like the legend. Not to many from that era are. At this point, I do not understand why you are so inclined to use the Conshelf as your primary, so I didn't think that price was an issue.

darylm74
July 21st, 2004, 11:12 PM
I have used a US Divers SE3 regulator for several years. The first stage is almost identical to that of my Conshelf XII. The SE3 costs about $75 to service, which includes the octo and guages. There is no reason for me to switch regulators.

After a rebuild, I plan to use the XII in cold water.

I have recently aquired a Conshelf XII. Are these regs sealed or do I need a cold water kit and can I still get the kit? I paid like $30 off ebay for it, figured I'd give it a try to go with a couple 2nd stages I had that I was missing a 1st stage for. I was hoping to use it for cold water with a drysuit but 3 LP's prevents that....guess I'll be looking for a Pony Bottle for that.

ianr33
July 21st, 2004, 11:29 PM
Does anybody have a good source for a Conshelf DIN converter? I have had one on order at an outrageous price from my LDS and am beginning to think that it will never arrive :-(

Also,could someone tell me the exact conshelf model I have from the serial number,CMA0463

Thanks

rescuediver009
July 22nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
I have recently aquired a Conshelf XII. Are these regs sealed or do I need a cold water kit and can I still get the kit?

Does it have a black bubble on the bottom or is it like something a flathead screwdriver can fit into? It is available as both. If it is not though, it won't be a cheap date to convert it as the entire bottom end needs to be changed out.

darylm74
July 23rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
Does it have a black bubble on the bottom or is it like something a flathead screwdriver can fit into? It is available as both. If it is not though, it won't be a cheap date to convert it as the entire bottom end needs to be changed out.

It has the end that the screw can fit into on it. I guess I will just have to ask my LDS to see how much it will cost if it doesn't already have one.

murphdivers286
July 24th, 2004, 01:33 AM
You have struck a bad note with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated my Conshelf seIII. It sucked. It felt like I was breathing through a mixed drink straw at only 20 ft. One time at 40 ft, it almost completely stuck shut. I could hardly get a breath out of it.

I'm proud to anounce I now own an Atomic B2 and would give up all of my other equipment before I gave up my B2.

rescuediver009
July 24th, 2004, 04:26 PM
It has the end that the screw can fit into on it. I guess I will just have to ask my LDS to see how much it will cost if it doesn't already have one.

No black bubble means no seal. I would take a look at how badly you need it versus the cost of the thing.

Calvinator
July 25th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Hmmm.... I finally think that I'll just have to settle with the Aqualung Legend LX.... *sigh*

garyfotodiver
July 25th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Hmmm.... I finally think that I'll just have to settle with the Aqualung Legend LX.... *sigh*

I just returned from a training dive. My instructor used a Titan LX while I used a Scubapro something at his request. It was designed to increase my stress level. We spoke about Conshelfs because I own two; he told me his first regulator was a Conshelf XIV and the Titan breathes much easier than the XIV.

It's only an opinion but I trust this instructor.

Calvinator
July 26th, 2004, 04:50 AM
I just returned from a training dive. My instructor used a Titan LX while I used a Scubapro something at his request. It was designed to increase my stress level. We spoke about Conshelfs because I own two; he told me his first regulator was a Conshelf XIV and the Titan breathes much easier than the XIV.

It's only an opinion but I trust this instructor.

Thanks for the opinion. But, if I'm not mistaken, the Legend LX breathes lighter than the Titan LX.

darylm74
July 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
No black bubble means no seal. I would take a look at how badly you need it versus the cost of the thing.

I finally am going through my drysuit training. Just waiting for my 2 checkout dives and it was recommended that I carry a small cylinder with Argon. I may save the regulator for that. Wonder if I will need the cold water kit for that application as well.

rescuediver009
July 26th, 2004, 11:53 PM
I finally am going through my drysuit training. Wonder if I will need the cold water kit for that application as well.

I wouldn't think so. as you master the use of a drysuit, you will use the inflator less and less. Just like a BCD. First stages for that purpose are usually inexpensive, low maintenance ones. If anything (i am sure already know) this is one place you would really want to consider an OPRV.

rescuediver009
July 29th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I found the elusive five port conshelf!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if this thread is not dead.

Creed
July 29th, 2004, 01:03 AM
I found the elusive five port conshelf!!!!!!!!!

Let me know if this thread is not dead.

It's not dead for me. What sub-model is it?

rescuediver009
July 29th, 2004, 11:51 PM
SE2.

I don't know if you had previously discounted this model from your preference or not.

Creed
July 30th, 2004, 03:26 AM
SE2.

I don't know if you had previously discounted this model from your preference or not.

I'm new here. I don't think I had a preference yet ;)

GotAir
July 30th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I bought a Conshelf 25 1st and 2nd last year at a pawnshop in Gulfport. sent them off to get serviced and just started using them. I think there wonderful !!!

Mike

Creed
July 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I just picked up a pair of Conshelf XIV's. Can anyone point out a somewhere I can get a parts kit? I tried Amron, but they won't sell to me.

Calvinator
August 4th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I posted this thread, got the info I wanted (from this thread, asked around the LDSs), and finally got myself a set of Legend LX. Looks great! But haven't tried how they perform yet. Anyway, hope you guys can just wish me all the best! Thanx for all the opinions all these time!

Calvinator.

freedive
August 4th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I use the Conshelf SE2's. First stage and 2 second stage, one as my primary and the other is my octo. They breathe extremely well for the depth Iv'e taken it to so far (120'). They are also indestructable :11:

Calvinator
August 9th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I use the Conshelf SE2's. First stage and 2 second stage, one as my primary and the other is my octo. They breathe extremely well for the depth Iv'e taken it to so far (120'). They are also indestructable :11:

I'm still looking for an octo. Can you recommend one BEST out of these 3?

i.) Mares' Octopus Proton
ii.) Aqualung's ABS Octopus
iii.) Aqualung's LPO Octopus

Thanks!

rescuediver009
August 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I would say the proton if you want something good breathing. I have breathed the LPO and ABS. Although there are some claims that one is balanced, and the other not, after taking them both apart, I cannot see any difference. They breathe alright but the best is that they are low profile and they are ambidextrous (no upsidedown).

garyfotodiver
August 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM
I'm still looking for an octo. Can you recommend one BEST out of these 3?

i.) Mares' Octopus Proton
ii.) Aqualung's ABS Octopus
iii.) Aqualung's LPO Octopus

Thanks!

I use an LPO. Works great and no problems with it.

Calvinator
August 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I would say the proton if you want something good breathing. I have breathed the LPO and ABS. Although there are some claims that one is balanced, and the other not, after taking them both apart, I cannot see any difference. They breathe alright but the best is that they are low profile and they are ambidextrous (no upsidedown).

Last week, I heard a DM complained that his proton octopus tends to freeflow when he makes his entry. But, he doesn't know what is causing that to happen. Any ideas?

Anyway, I just bought an ABS two hours ago. I pray hard that I've made a right choice.

Calvinator.

jamiep3
August 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Anybody that's interested, Marvel sells the Conshelf Octopus. Identical to 2nd stage of Conshelf XIV. That's what I use on mine.

Creed
August 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Anybody that's interested, Marvel sells the Conshelf Octopus. Identical to 2nd stage of Conshelf XIV. That's what I use on mine.

Who is Marvel? Do they have a website?

rescuediver009
August 10th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Last week, I heard a DM complained that his proton octopus tends to freeflow when he makes his entry. But, he doesn't know what is causing that to happen. Any ideas?

Anyway, I just bought an ABS two hours ago. I pray hard that I've made a right choice.

Calvinator.
Alot of octos freeflow on entry. this is just because the mouthpiece is facing upward and the are trapped beneath the diaphragm is forced upward giving air.
Yikes! If this is a DM I would hesitate on his qualifications. The ABS is not bad. It is small and out of the way. Excellent for budy breathing. You should like it.

darylm74
August 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I have decided to use my Conshelf XII on my Argon bottle for my drysuit. It isn't environmentally sealed. Anyone see any issues with this or is one burst from the Argon going to freeze it up and send me topside in a super inflated drysuit? I was figuring that it wasn't building moisture from my breath and it is supplying Argon and not air, it would be much less prone to freezing up.

rescuediver009
August 12th, 2004, 01:37 PM
I have decided to use my Conshelf XII on my Argon bottle for my drysuit. It isn't environmentally sealed. Anyone see any issues with this or is one burst from the Argon going to freeze it up and send me topside in a super inflated drysuit? I was figuring that it wasn't building moisture from my breath and it is supplying Argon and not air, it would be much less prone to freezing up.

No, you are right about the moisture and the freezing. It is a good inexpensive alternative that you can always use as a backup reg too if something were to happen while you are out.

My-way
August 13th, 2004, 10:00 AM
"Not like the legend. Not to many from that era are. At this point, I do not understand why you are so inclined to use the Conshelf as your primary, so I didn't think that price was an issue"

Ah what?

Of course a con XIV is a balanced diaphragm... is this really the question?

Calvinator
August 13th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Does anyone here knows the address of the website Marvel??

My-way
August 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM
No worries: www.mar-vel.com

Calvinator
August 14th, 2004, 12:18 PM
No worries: www.mar-vel.com

Thanks! But how do I view their offered mechandise free-of-cahrge without registering?

Creed
August 14th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks! But how do I view their offered mechandise free-of-cahrge without registering?
It looks to me like they only sell parts to the government or military. And if they are an 'official' Aqualung dealer, they will only sell regs instore. However, I did a search on conshelf, and found 2 pages of parts.

Calvinator
August 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM
It looks to me like they only sell parts to the government or military. And if they are an 'official' Aqualung dealer, they will only sell regs instore. However, I did a search on conshelf, and found 2 pages of parts.

I see. TQ!

JJ1
August 18th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Hey! I have a general conshelf question - how can I tell what model I have?

It's a metal 2nd stage on the purge buttom it says "Aqua Lung Conshelf Supreme" on the back just udner the mouth piece it's got the folllowing numbers stamped into it - 85 02183

As for the first stage it's just got numbers stamped into the between a lp port and the hp port - 48 12487. It too has an "aqualung conshelf supreme sticker" on the knob to tighten down on your valve.

I just picked'em up last fall for a few nickles.....Thanks!

Calvinator
August 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Hey! I have a general conshelf question - how can I tell what model I have?

It's a metal 2nd stage on the purge buttom it says "Aqua Lung Conshelf Supreme" on the back just udner the mouth piece it's got the folllowing numbers stamped into it - 85 02183

As for the first stage it's just got numbers stamped into the between a lp port and the hp port - 48 12487. It too has an "aqualung conshelf supreme sticker" on the knob to tighten down on your valve.

I just picked'em up last fall for a few nickles.....Thanks!

From the little most knowledge I have, I think it's a Conshelf XIV. Although I'm not quite sure waht those numbers mean. To all those veterans out there, what do you all think?

Calvin.

rescuediver009
August 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Guess what model you have? A conshelf supreme. I am guessing that it has a little black bubble on the bottom of the first stage. That would be the environmental seal full of silicone grease to prevent freezeup. It works well and all but just messy to service. As for the second stage being all metal it acts as a giant heat sink to prevent freeze up in that department.
If you pickedit up for pennies, that is great. Even if you pay $50 or $60 for service you are up huge! Those are the regs that piss me off because they always find their way into everyone else's hands except mine.!!!!

JJ1
August 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM
hehehe ok....so it was really that obvious? damn....I'm loosin touch

Don't worry - It wasn't quite pennies......but I paid $75 for it and some old spanish thing I wouldn't trust in my bathtub......
I got it from a commercial diver in NFLD, and toboot he had just had it serviced in June! (I saw the recipts and talked to the shop that did it)

In all honesty I find the conshelf breaths just about as nice as my new tx50.

rescuediver009
August 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Even at that price you are still getting off great.

Creed
August 18th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Guess what model you have? A conshelf supreme. I am guessing that it has a little black bubble on the bottom of the first stage. That would be the environmental seal full of silicone grease to prevent freezeup. It works well and all but just messy to service. As for the second stage being all metal it acts as a giant heat sink to prevent freeze up in that department.
If you pickedit up for pennies, that is great. Even if you pay $50 or $60 for service you are up huge! Those are the regs that piss me off because they always find their way into everyone else's hands except mine.!!!!
Then allow me to upset you further. I bought two Conshelf XIV 1st stages and a 2nd for $38(includes shipping from Canada). All in good shape. Also came with an AMF Swimaster MR12 that I am sure is probably older than I am and a plastic body Mares 2nd stage which I have yet to identify.

rescuediver009
August 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Then allow me to upset you further. I bought two Conshelf XIV 1st stages and a 2nd for $38(includes shipping from Canada). All in good shape. Also came with an AMF Swimaster MR12 that I am sure is probably older than I am and a plastic body Mares 2nd stage which I have yet to identify.

I think that I may jump on this bandwagon. I could use a pool reg for the course and such. Keeps me from rearranging my rig all the time. I know where I can get a couple.

Calvinator
August 21st, 2004, 08:47 AM
I think that I may jump on this bandwagon. I could use a pool reg for the course and such. Keeps me from rearranging my rig all the time. I know where I can get a couple.

Huh?? I don't understand....

rescuediver009
August 22nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Huh?? I don't understand....

I meant that I would find an old conshelf and service it and spiff it up for use in the pool when teaching courses. It would keep me from disassembling my current rig that is set up for doubles.

Calvinator
August 23rd, 2004, 11:01 AM
I meant that I would find an old conshelf and service it and spiff it up for use in the pool when teaching courses. It would keep me from disassembling my current rig that is set up for doubles.

Oh, I see!

dulldiver
August 24th, 2004, 03:58 AM
I dive a conshelf 20, nice reg breathes well.

sharky60
August 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I'm still using my Conshelf XIV I bought on Midway Island in 1981, great reg. I bought it because it was what the US Navy divers were spec'ing at the time and those guys were diving to 300' plus so I fugured it must be pretty good, WOW! the best dive gear decision I've made, although I'm still using my ScubaPro BC with intergrated octopus, and the 'ol ScubaPro Jetfins are still pushing me around the reef just fine.
You should see the looks I get with that international orange BC and chrome reg from the new divers!!
We used to also sell the Conshelf 21, I'm not sure but I think it was one of the first regs made of a plastic shell by USD.

cloud9
August 27th, 2004, 08:04 AM
I have a Conshelf Supreme I bought in 1982. From the accolades this model is still getting, I guess it was a good purchase decision. I haven't used any of the newer regs, so not sure how it compares. Question though ... if I start using nitrox, will I be able to use my Conshelf Supreme ? I've read on another thread that all I would need is different Orings installed. Anyone else using an old Conshelf with Nitrox ??

rescuediver009
August 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Question though ... if I start using nitrox, will I be able to use my Conshelf Supreme ? I've read on another thread that all I would need is different Orings installed. Anyone else using an old Conshelf with Nitrox ??

I don;t use one personally but have outfitted one for use with nitrox. It depends on what mix you are going to run in it. If you are going to use recreational mixes (<40%) don't even need the 'special' (viton) o-rings. Just make sure that cristo lube is used and and other lubricant like silicone is cleaned out, and you can use your nitrox. (100% O2 never touches the reg). Otherwise if you are going to use it for a stage bottle or something, you should get viton all around.
Technically you don't even nee to touch the second stage, because it only comes into contact with LP O2 and this is not a concern. But I do clean it anyways...

cloud9
August 27th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks 009! I love this forum!

Ray2
August 30th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I've got three Conshelf reg and love em all,an SE2,XIV and one thats been bugging me for a while.I got it from Taylor diving (commercial outfit) out of Taft, LA. going out of business sale,it was most likely used on a bailout bottle as is the standard.The question I have is has anybody seen a 4000 psi yoke on a conshelf? Because this is what is stamped on it,call me crazy but I had to look again and it still has'nt changed.I rebuilt it myself and it work just like the others, fantastic.
Ray

rescuediver009
August 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
The question I have is has anybody seen a 4000 psi yoke on a conshelf? Because this is what is stamped on it,call me crazy but I had to look again and it still has'nt changed.
I havent seen this on any yoke. the highest I have seen is 3500 psi (i.e. oceanic) but what is stamped is what it is. compare it to others. Is it a little heavier duty?

Creed
August 31st, 2004, 09:07 AM
I havent seen this on any yoke. the highest I have seen is 3500 psi (i.e. oceanic) but what is stamped is what it is. compare it to others. Is it a little heavier duty?
Both of my Conshelf XIV's have "4000 psi" stamped on the yolk. Both of the serial numbers start with 78-, if that helps any.

rescuediver009
August 31st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Both of my Conshelf XIV's have "4000 psi" stamped on the yolk. Both of the serial numbers start with 78-, if that helps any.

Sorry trhose serials don't mean anything to me. But if that is what they are stmaped at then go right ahead. Its not like you have heard of yokes blowing off of tanks right?

Ray2
August 31st, 2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks Creed it does help,The one I have starts with #48 it must be a XIV,but I can't read the writing on the screw.

Creed
September 1st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Sorry trhose serials don't mean anything to me. But if that is what they are stmaped at then go right ahead. Its not like you have heard of yokes blowing off of tanks right?
Actually, I have no plan on diving with a tank at 4000psi. I was just observing that my old conshelfs(conshelves?) also say 4k. Is it possible that these are examples of a higher grade derivative of the Conshelf XIV? Maybe commercial grade? Note: my set was shipped to me from Canade. Do they have a different standard tank pressure there?

rescuediver009
September 1st, 2004, 11:26 PM
Is it possible that these are examples of a higher grade derivative of the Conshelf XIV? Maybe commercial grade? Note: my set was shipped to me from Canade. Do they have a different standard tank pressure there?
I doubt that they are 'of higher grade'. and no, Canada is just like the rest of world and our tanks work at the same pressures as yours. But we follow the BAR stamps on tanks instead of the psi. It gives you a little more air if you work it out.

Calvinator
September 3rd, 2004, 09:12 AM
I doubt that they are 'of higher grade'. and no, Canada is just like the rest of world and our tanks work at the same pressures as yours. But we follow the BAR stamps on tanks instead of the psi. It gives you a little more air if you work it out.

A "little bit" more pressure, means more air??

rescuediver009
September 4th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Yes, more pressure is more air. On some of the steel tanks that are stamped 2400 psi hae a bar rating that is a little more. I can't remember what the exact number is though. Anyways about those conshelf's in this regulator forum

Creed
September 16th, 2004, 05:58 PM
I just took my 2nd stage apart, and according to my repair manual, the diaphram in it was exclusively used on the military version of the Conshelf XIV. I am assuming that 4000psi was therefore a military standard at some point.

Ray2
September 17th, 2004, 07:15 PM
I just took my 2nd stage apart, and according to my repair manual, the diaphram in it was exclusively used on the military version of the Conshelf XIV. I am assuming that 4000psi was therefore a military standard at some point.
Creed,What's the part #

Creed
September 19th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Creed,What's the part #
The one I have handy is 78-11827.

I tried to go diving with KS Bob(from scubaboard) today, and while the dive was a bust(didn't get enough weights, had trouble with the rental gear, etc), I found out something interesting. I decided to hook up my Conshelf XIV, to see if it leaked. Well, it did, but only from a lp port plug I hadn't tightened up properly. The 2nd stage breathed better than the rental piece, at least on the surface. This gear has not been overhauled in ~8 years(at least), and it still breathes like a champ. Amazing! Is this the level of longevity and performance I can expect from this series of reg?

rescuediver009
September 19th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Is this the level of longevity and performance I can expect from this series of reg?
I would say that it is partially to do with the ruggedness and reliability of the reg, but also i would say that it may be because although it has the years, it may not have the dives on it that warrant a service.
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it. I tell most people to go about 2 years before having a check up done.

Calvinator
September 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it.

I agree with that too...

Creed
September 20th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I would say that it is partially to do with the ruggedness and reliability of the reg, but also i would say that it may be because although it has the years, it may not have the dives on it that warrant a service.
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it. I tell most people to go about 2 years before having a check up done.

I completely agree. The only reason I even hooked it up was to see if it leaked. No diving with it until after the overhaul.

OWIC647
September 20th, 2004, 11:52 AM
was the 1st I believe. They still work great if you set them up correctly. They were rejected by the Navy at 1st because the exhaust valve was too small and created too much resistance. After it was enlarged they took it on the spot and are still using the Conshelf today in some areas. The Conshelf VI was made in a Non-Magnetic version and a Civilian version called NAVCON VI. If you would like more information on rebuilding them please see my website for details.

Calvinator
September 24th, 2004, 08:10 AM
was the 1st I believe. They still work great if you set them up correctly. They were rejected by the Navy at 1st because the exhaust valve was too small and created too much resistance. After it was enlarged they took it on the spot and are still using the Conshelf today in some areas. The Conshelf VI was made in a Non-Magnetic version and a Civilian version called NAVCON VI. If you would like more information on rebuilding them please see my website for details.

Hhmmm.... never heard anyone in Malaysia talked about those...

Creed
October 21st, 2004, 12:03 AM
Are there any major differences between the XII and the XII? The first stage XIV rebuild kit works for a XII, but the 2nd stage XIV doesn't mention the XII. Does it also use a XIV rebuild kit? Is there a serious performance difference between the two?

Aquadoc68
October 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Is there a Conshelf out there with 2 high pressure ports on the first stage?
Not the conshelf that I know of, Maybe one of the new high speed ones BUT if you want Bulletproof performance stay happy with the 21 JMHO

gaudencio
October 21st, 2004, 06:17 PM
HI,

My rig is a conshelf SE2 for primary and a Calypso 6 as an octo. SE2 breathes well and I have dives it down to 140 ft. Though I'm thinking of buying a Mares Abyss MR22. Is this right? " Is this a need or a wnat"? :10:

rescuediver009
October 21st, 2004, 11:33 PM
Are there any major differences between the XII and the XII?No...
The first stage XIV rebuild kit works for a XII, but the 2nd stage XIV doesn't mention the XII. Does it also use a XIV rebuild kit?Yes...
Is there a serious performance difference between the two?...and No.

All the conshelf series of regs use the same kits. And so does the new Titan.

Creed
October 22nd, 2004, 01:18 AM
No... Yes... ...and No.

Heh, I just noticed that my first question asked the difference between a XII and a XII. So, I believe that your answer is undeniably correct ;)

Moogyboy
November 24th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Okay now that I've read all of this thread, I think I'm a little better informed about USD regs. I am happy to know that Conshelf regs don't seem to be in danger of obsolescence anytime soon.

Right now there's a Conshelf 22 that I have my eye on. I, ah, presume that's one of the good ones, judging from what I've read...

cheers

Billy S.

Creed
November 25th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Okay now that I've read all of this thread, I think I'm a little better informed about USD regs. I am happy to know that Conshelf regs don't seem to be in danger of obsolescence anytime soon.

Right now there's a Conshelf 22 that I have my eye on. I, ah, presume that's one of the good ones, judging from what I've read...

cheers

Billy S.

There have been several sets of rebuild kits on eBay recently, so I think you should have little trouble finding parts.

don
December 14th, 2004, 04:44 AM
I just picked up another used Conshelf 1st stage, and I'm wondering what model it is. It looks identical to an SE2, 3LP and 1HP ports, but all 3 LP ports are 1/2". The serial number starts with JP. My other SE2 has 3 LP ports but only 1 of them is 1/2", the other 2 are 3/8". What have I got here?

Thanks for any info.

Don

waterboy72
December 14th, 2004, 10:44 PM
You have struck a bad note with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated my Conshelf seIII. It sucked. It felt like I was breathing through a mixed drink straw at only 20 ft. One time at 40 ft, it almost completely stuck shut. I could hardly get a breath out of it.

I'm proud to anounce I now own an Atomic B2 and would give up all of my other equipment before I gave up my B2.

I have been diving a SE3 for some time and have never had any trouble with it...sounds like you were having possible mainenance issue or something? I know many others who dive the same reg. and have never had problems either.

Did you ever discover why it was so restricted? I am very curious to know why...thanks

waterboy72
December 14th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I ordered my Legend LX Supreme today. Been droolin at the chance to get my own Legend. I've been diving a Coustead D forever (GREAT reg...2HP and 4LP/D is sealed...no D is not). The Legend LX is up there with the ATX100 Apeks. A fine reg.

knotical
December 21st, 2004, 05:16 PM
How many models of Conshelves are out there? I've only heard of Conshelf XIV and Conshelf 22. Are there other Conshelf models out there?
This might not be a complete list, but based on some AquaLung documents, the Conshelf series has included:
XII, XIV, 20, 21, 22, and 30 (actually a minor variant on the XIV second stage)
SE, SE2, SE3, SEA, SEA2, SEA4, SEAS, SES, Supreme, and EFA (external fine adjustment),
The Conshelf XII and Supreme went through a recall in 1977 because of a second stage problem. Article here (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml77/77122.html).

I found a few mentions of Conshelf VI and XI on the web, but have no independent confirmation to determine if these are real model numbers. Perhaps the VI was the Calypso VI, and the XI might have been the XII. Can anyone confirm or deny?

And fwiw, Conshelf I, II and III were Cousteau’s saturation diving habitats from the early sixties, and Conshelf Ten was a fictional underwater colony in the book “Crisis on Conshelf Ten” by Monica Hughes, 1975.

DA Aquamaster
December 21st, 2004, 06:52 PM
I found a few mentions of Conshelf VI and XI on the web, but have no independent confirmation to determine if these are real model numbers. Perhaps the VI was the Calypso VI, and the XI might have been the XII. Can anyone confirm or deny?.I bought a conshelf XI on e-bay - it's the first one I have ever encounterd but it still only sold for $11.95. The second stage is a pretty generic late 60's variation of the USD second stage. The first stage has a significantly shorter cap than the Conshelf XII.

Creed
December 31st, 2004, 06:08 PM
I was poking around on google, and apparently Aqualung(either on purpose or accident) has made several manuals available to the public in pdf form. As far as I can tell, the Conshelf XIV manual on the site is the latest one. Here's the link to the main folder:
http://aqualung.com/military/datasheets.html
And here is the Conshelf manual:
http://www.aqualung.com/military/PDF_Data_Sheets/Technical%20Manuals/Conshelf14%20Repair%20Manual%20with%20DIN.pdf

Have fun.

Calvinator
January 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I finally gotta test my Legend LX IN A POOL! IT WAS GREAT! But now, too scared to dive due to the tsunami that just hit Malaysia. Too bad....

GDI
January 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I still have a conshelf that I first bought in 1990. They are excellent regs, I use it mainly in the pool or for simple shore dives like at Vencie Beach. I have had it under ice many times and on some deep dives. They do well

RDP
January 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM
No... Yes... ...and No.

I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering about the difference in manuals? I have a 21.

Creed
January 7th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I found a few mentions of Conshelf VI and XI on the web, but have no independent confirmation to determine if these are real model numbers. Perhaps the VI was the Calypso VI, and the XI might have been the XII. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Well, there is a Conshelf XI second stage on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16056&item=7126050834&rd=1

ScoobieDooo
February 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I am seeking two sets of US Divers Conshelf XIV's in VCG to EC. Send pics and price desired to me at: murban@twcny.rr.com

I'm seeking the ones with the chromed 1st and 2nd stages...

Moogyboy
February 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Incidentally, I was curious whether the conshelf first and second stages were balanced or not. I now have an SE2 first stage and a Pro Diver second (which I understand is basically identical to the SE2's second and all the rest of them) and want to see just how balanced this rig is.

The first is a balanced diaphragm, isn't it?

cheers

Billy S.

TomP
February 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM
If you're willing to take the word of a SB newbie there is indeed a Conshelf VI. I know because it was my first regulator. As noted earlier in the thread the exhaust ports are not very forgiving and with a total of 2 ports, one HP and one LP consumed by the second, the configuration options are somewhat limited. When the art of buddy breathing gave way to the octopus I upgraded to a Conshelf Supreme.

DA Aquamaster
February 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Incidentally, I was curious whether the conshelf first and second stages were balanced or not. I now have an SE2 first stage and a Pro Diver second (which I understand is basically identical to the SE2's second and all the rest of them) and want to see just how balanced this rig is.

The first is a balanced diaphragm, isn't it?From the Conshelf XI onward
the first stage is a balanced diaphragm design. I am not sure about the earlier Conshelf models. The Conshelf second stages all seem to be variations on the standard unbalanced downstream design.

Moogyboy
March 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Cool beanies. Thanks as always, DA! :)

cheers

Billy S.

johnmennell
March 17th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Hello, I am new to the board and thread and need some help. I am switching from a Dacor Extreme Plus which is impossible to find parts for to the Conshelf XIV. I am interested in where people put the second stage, octopus, etc on the first stage. Also, is it possible to switch the second stage to a left hand input.

Thanks

rescuediver009
March 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Hello, I am new to the board and thread and need some help. I am switching from a Dacor Extreme Plus which is impossible to find parts for to the Conshelf XIV. I am interested in where people put the second stage, octopus, etc on the first stage. Also, is it possible to switch the second stage to a left hand input.

Thanks
No, the plug you see on the other side of the second stage is for adjustment purposes, and cannot be used for that purpose. as for hose placement you are pretty limitted have only the one HP port. Most will mount the bc hose above that, and then skip a port (if there are four lp ports) and then mount the primary and octo in that order as they go over and under your shoulder respectively.

Oceandvr
November 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

I've had my Conshelf 21 since 1992 and the only thing that worries me about it is finding a LDS to service it. Anyone else who uses older models have this issue?

Creed
November 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
I've had my Conshelf 21 since 1992 and the only thing that worries me about it is finding a LDS to service it. Anyone else who uses older models have this issue?

No. I dive Conshelf XI's and XIV's. I service them myself. The 21 is pretty much the same.

Oceandvr
November 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
No. I dive Conshelf XI's and XIV's. I service them myself. The 21 is pretty much the same.

Knowing how to service them yourself would be the way to go. Where does one pick up that skill?

Creed
November 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Knowing how to service them yourself would be the way to go. Where does one pick up that skill?

I downloaded the latest XIV rebuild manual(found here: http://www.aqualung.com/military/PDF_Data_Sheets/Technical%20Manuals/Conshelf14%20Repair%20Manual%20with%20DIN.pdf), read it like a novel a few times while collecting the few tools I didn't already have, and then did it. The hard part was finding a parts dealer for the rebuild kits. PM me, I can get 'em.

Just be careful, and follow the procedures. You can get a good HP block assembly tool here: http://vintagedoublehose.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=9
There are a few spots to get Christo-lube(see www.scubatools.com). Don't scratch it, and clean it well.

PADI Knight
November 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Daughter put gear on her christmas list. We went looking around the LDS of course all nice stuff. I like US divers gear since I'm a Navy Vet and new quite a few divers while I was in and that's the gear the military used and still uses today. My gear is a USD pro-diver first and second stage with a conny 21 octo. All rebuilt this year thanks to help from knotical and creed to name a few here. Breathes great!! Actually I think as well as or even better than the legend the shop was pushing.

Well decided to do consider used gear so picked up a conny 22 primary and secondary as well as a 21 octo for her all passed LDS check out. In fact, the tech said nothing needed to be done as the parts looked and checked out good as new (the 22 was advertised as recently rebuilt and annual service recently) breath great too! Picked up one of the monitor 2 computers on ebay the other day as it will do the job for what we are planning and from what I researched here and other places as well is a good basic computer. All in all I'm happy with the USD regs we have and look forward to many great dives.

Creed
November 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Daughter put gear on her christmas list. We went looking around the LDS of course all nice stuff. I like US divers gear since I'm a Navy Vet and new quite a few divers while I was in and that's the gear the military used and still uses today. My gear is a USD pro-diver first and second stage with a conny 21 octo. All rebuilt this year thanks to help from knotical and creed to name a few here. Breathes great!! Actually I think as well as or even better than the legend the shop was pushing.

Well decided to do consider used gear so picked up a conny 22 primary and secondary as well as a 21 octo for her all passed LDS check out. In fact, the tech said nothing needed to be done as the parts looked and checked out good as new (the 22 was advertised as recently rebuilt and annual service recently) breath great too! Picked up one of the monitor 2 computers on ebay the other day as it will do the job for what we are planning and from what I researched here and other places as well is a good basic computer. All in all I'm happy with the USD regs we have and look forward to many great dives.

Glad to be of help.

evilbacon
April 4th, 2006, 11:26 PM

Calvin.

Well back in the day, They used to mix and match USD Conshelf SEA 1st stage regs with Conshelf SE2s. It was common for that because they are both reliable regs and could have been sold for a cheaper price then the other regs, which left divers with the choice of having to spend alot for okay regs or alittle for great regs. And the SEA has 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports. They are awesome regs i have them both and got them for free from a friend recently and already love them after the first use.

evil :bgmad:

Courtneyf82
April 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I just acquired a used USD Conshelf SE2 for free!! I really like it, breathes almost as good as my new Sherwood.

dbombtek
October 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
A buddy on mine gave me 2 complete conshelf XIV's 1st and 2nd stages. Im wanting to get 1 set up to use for shore dives. Does anyone know an lds in the Destin fl area to work them over.
I dont know how to rebuild regs so im at the mercy of the experts(you). I have the manuals but dont trust myself without a watchful eye to work on them. If they even need it.
They both check out as far as hooking up to a bottle and smell and breath nice.
THANKS FOR THE HELP.

garyfotodiver
October 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM
A buddy on mine gave me 2 complete conshelf XIV's 1st and 2nd stages. Im wanting to get 1 set up to use for shore dives. Does anyone know an lds in the Destin fl area to work them over.
I dont know how to rebuild regs so im at the mercy of the experts(you). I have the manuals but dont trust myself without a watchful eye to work on them. If they even need it.
THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Any Aqualung dealer ought to service them. Force-E in Boca does my Conshelf SE3s and those regulators are very similar to yours.

Creed
October 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP.
I had never touched a regulator(to rebuild) before I rebuilt my Conshelf XIV. Cake and pie. If you can get a rebuild kit, it's easy. Just follow the manual, clean the heck out of everything(soak the metal parts in vinegar and scrub any crud off) and don't scratch any surfaces. Of course, Dave Danielson at Emerald Coast Scuba should be able to do it, too. I know he rebuilds Aqualung double hose regs, and they are almost identical to the XIV in terms of parts and functionality.

dbombtek
October 15th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info I know where emerald coast scuba is and that will be my first stop after work tomorrow. I would feel good about rebuilding my own but only after ive got a little more experience. Vinegar is a good idea its got some buildup inside one of the 1st stages green discoloration but looks sound. Definately needs the once over before I use it.

coldsmoke
December 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Is the conshelf manual mentioned in earlier posts of this thread (I believe for a 14) acceptable for use for overhauling a se? I am sure that I could figure it out by taking it apart but I thought I'd see if anyone knew the answer. Thanks.

Creed
December 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Is the conshelf manual mentioned in earlier posts of this thread (I believe for a 14) acceptable for use for overhauling a se? I am sure that I could figure it out by taking it apart but I thought I'd see if anyone knew the answer. Thanks.

Should be. It will at least get you started.

james croft
December 11th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I am a Conshelf collector. Did not know I was but I have one of everything listed above other than the SE3, so I guess that's what I am. They are bulletproof, easy to work on, need minimal maintainance if you soak them and keep water out of the first stage. Just for fun I have a Conshelf that I have been diving for over 30 years that has never had an overhaul and is in great shape. I wanna see how long it will keep ticking. All I have done to it is change mouthpieces.
I swear by my Conshelf 14 Supreme and would dive with it anywhere. It has never froze up. I also have a Conshelf 6 military anti-magnetic reg that was used by the Navy EOD teams. The civilian version was called a Navcon. The Navy still uses the Conshelf 14 and anyone who has one has a great regulator. You will never go wrong with any Conshelf. I've got the tech regs such as Zeagle Flatheads, Apeks, etc, but if I had to pick only one reg to travel with it would be a Conshelf 14. I know I can get parts anywhere in the free world and I can work on it blindfolded. Marine brass with a nickel finish is always better than plastic. That's why the US Divers DA Aquamaster double hose reg is still kicking butt.

Creed
December 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I am a Conshelf collector. Did not know I was but I have one of everything listed above other than the SE3, so I guess that's what I am. They are bulletproof, easy to work on, need minimal maintainance if you soak them and keep water out of the first stage. Just for fun I have a Conshelf that I have been diving for over 30 years that has never had an overhaul and is in great shape. I wanna see how long it will keep ticking. All I have done to it is change mouthpieces.
I swear by my Conshelf 14 Supreme and would dive with it anywhere. It has never froze up. I also have a Conshelf 6 military anti-magnetic reg that was used by the Navy EOD teams. The civilian version was called a Navcon. The Navy still uses the Conshelf 14 and anyone who has one has a great regulator. You will never go wrong with any Conshelf. I've got the tech regs such as Zeagle Flatheads, Apeks, etc, but if I had to pick only one reg to travel with it would be a Conshelf 14. I know I can get parts anywhere in the free world and I can work on it blindfolded. Marine brass with a nickel finish is always better than plastic. That's why the US Divers DA Aquamaster double hose reg is still kicking butt.

Preaching to the choir here! :) I do envy your Navcon, though.

Lone Frogman
December 12th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I bought a conshelf XII in the 70's great reg still use it. I like it so much I'm thinking about a new XIV, the old XII's only have 2 LP ports I need the 3th for my dry suit.

hamsiss
December 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Can any one please explain me what is CONSHELF????
I've tried to understand it but I couldn't :D

Luis H
December 12th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Are you referring about the name?
Conshelf was the name Capt. Cousteau gave his three underwater habitats: Conshelf I, II, and Conshelf III.
They were named after “continental shelf “, where they were basically located.

james croft
December 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Preaching to the choir here! :) I do envy your Navcon, though.
Creed,
I don't have the Navcon but the Conshelf 6 Non-mag military reg. Only thing different between the two is the decals on it. I got lucky and scored it off Ebay. The seller did not advertise it properly and did not realize what it was. It was unused and came with the Navy Bureau of Ships Manual. I think I got it for less than $70.00 if memory serves. I sorta felt guilty about it. Only had one other bidder.

SCUBAholicEd
April 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'd hate to see this thread end. So I'll try and keep it going. I got my C card in 82. All my equipment was USD and yes, the reg was Conshelf XIV no octo pushed at that time. It was "buddy breathing". My son and daughter are now certed and use Conshelf 14s. My son-in-law will be getting his C card and is looking for conshelf 14s on ebay. Will try to rebuild them ourselvs. I feel it is good to know your equipment inside and out. Gota love the clasics. :D

sndt1319
July 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I am looking at buying a Conshelf XIVs with what I believe is a SEA 1st stage( 2HP 4LP ports) for $125. The set comes with a gauge cluster and a Sherwood Maximus Octo. I talked to a dive shop about the service cost on this set. They told me that it would cost me at least $100 per year to keep this set in working condition and that I would save money in the long run by buying a New ScubaPro reg set with the free service parts. Are they blowing smoke up my backside? Anyone see a problem with this set? I am a simple recreational diver who is getting back into diving after a three year break. I am in Virginia right now but will end up back in the Oregon Washington area after a few years.

edylchtims
July 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I just purchased an owned but unused Conshelf 21 with octopus, conshelf 2nd stage and hose with depth and pressure gauge console for $200.00. Did I get a decent deal? As sndt1319 asks, is it going to cost $100.00 per year for service?

Luis H
July 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Any good well maintained regulator does not need yearly service. On the other hand, if it is poorly rinsed or you allow salt water into it, yearly service is not often enough.

A Conshelf is a great regulator and should give you trouble free service for several years without a rebuild. You should learn how to inspect it and check that it is operating properly and “if it is not broke, don’t fix it”.

Maybe Couv will drop by and post his inspection list…otherwise just do a search for his service inspection procedure.

A beauty of an older used regulator is that you should not feel obligated to do unnecessary service to keep a worthless warranty. A warranty that charges high dollars for labor just to supply a few inexpensive parts (for “free”) is not a real warranty.

Other great things about a Conshelf are that is has been around for almost 40 years (actually the first stage was first introduced in the Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator in 1965), it is easy to service, parts can be obtained all over the world, and parts should not be hard to obtain for a DIY.

Repair diagrams and service documentation are easy to obtain. If you learn to service it yourself you will surely not need to spend $100 for service at any time.

Most of the internal parts of the Conshelf first stage are shared by most Aqua Lung diaphragm regulators. The second stages vary, but many are simple down stream demand valve that the only part they need a simple rubber seat disc shared by many regulators.

OBTW, I have seen plenty of Conshelf that have not been serviced in 10 or 20 years and were working just fine…some looked pretty bad, but they still work fine.

sndt1319
If a dive shop is trying to scare you with such BS line, I would avoid them and find someone else to take your business.

Scubapro makes great regulators, but that Conshelf can easily still be working great long after the plastic on that Scubapro has long been recycled into a fleece sweater. :rolleyes:

edylchtims
A $200 price for NOS Conshelf sounds very reasonable to me, especially since you got an octopus and pressure gauge. Just because it was never used it doesn’t mean it should not be inspected, the intermediate pressure checked, and breathing resistance checked. Again, do a search for Couv inspection procedure.

BeaverDiver1
July 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
it means they were made in 1978

james croft
July 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I have a Conshelf I bought in 87 and have never had it serviced. Wanted to see how long it will go before it has trouble. I have replaced mouthpieces and inspect it but I keep water out of the first stage and soak it well after diving. I agree with Luis that the warranty game is not a good deal/ 100 bucks is out of line for an overhaul in my opinion.

mobeeno
July 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I have a Conshelf I bought in 87 and have never had it serviced. Wanted to see how long it will go before it has trouble. I have replaced mouthpieces and inspect it but I keep water out of the first stage and soak it well after diving. I agree with Luis that the warranty game is not a good deal/ 100 bucks is out of line for an overhaul in my opinion.
Wow! I know they last a long time before service but... Since 87?!

BeaverDiver1
July 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
$100 is allot, until you remember that it is for life support equipment.

I just picked up 2 Conshelf XIV's. 2 2nd stages on each, and 1 still had a working pressure gauge from 1978, hardly used and still very shiny for $50. All it took was a Titan service kit to get it up to code.

SCUBAholicEd
July 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I go years with out servicing mine also. I do check for rot, tears or wear yearly or more often. Get the manual and learn the ins and outs and simply keep up with it. yes your life depends on it but your eyes can see rot, wear and tear just as easy as some one elses. $100 bucks???? rip off!!! You just need to learn what to look for and how to fix it. simple and strait forward. The shop is just trying to do the scare and up-sale on you. If that is the game they play, go to a different shop. What else are they lying to you about??? :shakehead:

james croft
July 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah, If I was paying even 25 bucks for service since 1987 I could have bought a bunch more Conshelfs if something went really wrong with mine. It is life support equipment but if taken care of and inspected it will continue to work. Once something goes bad it will free flow or get some IP creep which I can detect with my 10 dollar guage I made. Then I will fix what is wrong for a few bucks myself.

johnmennell
July 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
How much of a difference is there between the XIV and the 20 or the earlier models. Is it something that e retrofited?

keyshunter
July 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah, If I was paying even 25 bucks for service since 1987 I could have bought a bunch more Conshelfs if something went really wrong with mine. It is life support equipment but if taken care of and inspected it will continue to work. Once something goes bad it will free flow or get some IP creep which I can detect with my 10 dollar guage I made. Then I will fix what is wrong for a few bucks myself.

I agree James,
I normally get about 300-400 dives on my Titan LX's between major services. I do, however, give them a careful check between dive trips. I thought that was pretty good until I met an instructor who claims he has about 800 dives on his Legend since new, and it had not been serviced.

james croft
July 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM
How much of a difference is there between the XIV and the 20 or the earlier models. Is it something that e retrofited?

Basically it is the same reg internally. The first stage is the same. Biggest difference is the second stage. The 20 has a plastic box while the 14 has a chrome plated brass box. The 14 is more durable and the metal box acts as a heat sink to help minimize freezing up in colder water. To retrofit a 20 to a 14 allyou need is to swap the second stages. I suggest putting an environmental kit on the first sstage as well if diving in cold water. It will seal your first stage and give better protection against freezing and helps maintainance of the reg. Regs sold with this kit were called the Conshelf 14 Supreme.

Luis H
July 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Basically it is the same reg internally. The first stage is the same. Biggest difference is the second stage. The 20 has a plastic box while the 14 has a chrome plated brass box. The 14 is more durable and the metal box acts as a heat sink to help minimize freezing up in colder water. To retrofit a 20 to a 14 allyou need is to swap the second stages. I suggest putting an environmental kit on the first sstage as well if diving in cold water. It will seal your first stage and give better protection against freezing and helps maintainance of the reg. Regs sold with this kit were called the Conshelf 14 Supreme.

The new environmental kit available for any of the Conshelf (and several other first stages) is the same as in the Titan. It is a dry kit with a push rod rather than a grease/ fluid fill chamber. It works well and is a lot easier to deal with during service or just to adjust the IP.

I am using it on every one of my Conshelf and Titan first stages (except for the one I use to fill tires and blow gun).

coldsmoke
July 14th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I didn't read all of the posts but Luis a couple of posts ago gave you some great info. I love conshelf's. They are great simple and well constructed regs. I have difficulty seeing any difference between a properly tuned conshelf to an apeks tx50 that I have above 100 feet.

If you are reasonably handy you can do your own reg maintenance especially with conshelfs. I get parts kits for about $30 and it takes me about an hour. All you really need is an inexpensive IP gauge (you can make it yourself for about $20) and a bucket of water.

I think reg rebuilds are one of the worsts deal in the industry.

Hunter

sharky60
July 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I am looking at buying a Conshelf XIVs with what I believe is a SEA 1st stage( 2HP 4LP ports) for $125. The set comes with a gauge cluster and a Sherwood Maximus Octo. I talked to a dive shop about the service cost on this set. They told me that it would cost me at least $100 per year to keep this set in working condition and that I would save money in the long run by buying a New ScubaPro reg set with the free service parts. Are they blowing smoke up my backside? Anyone see a problem with this set? I am a simple recreational diver who is getting back into diving after a three year break. I am in Virginia right now but will end up back in the Oregon Washington area after a few years.

How old is it? USD stopped making it for a while and just recently started making it again because of it's popularity, it's a great reg.

I have a Conshelf XIV, I purchased in 1981, I was in the Navy and the majority of Navy diver's at Pearl Harbor had the 14...that was good enough for me, and I still dive with it today. I've been through several other depth/pressure guages and finally to a computer, but still rely on the reg I've always used.

I don't dive very much at home, just on vacation once or if I'm lucky twice a year. I usually get it serviced every other year. Good personal maintenance is the key to long life of all your equipment. I just had to replace my ScubaPro BC & intergrated inflator/octo, also after 26 years of use, the bc developed "unfixable leaks" at the seams and they no longer make the replacement parts for my infator/octo, so now I'm diving for the first time ever with a "real" octo.

The price to maintain the entire rig, both stages of the CXIV and the octo, doesn't seem out of bounds, just remember if you buy the new ScubaPro the shop wants you to buy, you HAVE TO to the yearly maintenance or you will lose your warrenty...that's the catch.

On the other hip, it's ScubaPro and you most likely won't need the warrenty.

sharky60
July 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM

We used to sell all 3 regs at the Koral Kings dive shop on Midway Island, the 14 has an all metal housing, the 20 and 21 were the first USD regs to have plastic housings, they orginally came out in the early 80's.

the 20 and 21 are also physically smaller than the 14 from what I remember.

ZzzKing
July 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
We used to sell all 3 regs at the Koral Kings dive shop on Midway Island, the 14 has an all metal housing, the 20 and 21 were the first USD regs to have plastic housings, they orginally came out in the early 80's.

the 20 and 21 are also physically smaller than the 14 from what I remember.

My 21 is slightly larger in outside diameter than my XIV. Probably due to the strength of the materials (plastic v. brass). They use the same diaphram so inside they are the same diameter. They both breathe very well.

ZzzKing
July 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM
A question for you old Conshelf Codgers:

I just acquired an NOS Conshelf XIV. It has 1 hp and 3 lp ports. The thing is, all 4 ports are the same size. You can thread your inflator hose or 2nd stage hose into the hp port. Of course you'd find out real quick as soon as you pressurize the system but I can deal with getting them in the right spot. The biggest problem is finding an hp hose with the same size fitting as an lp hose.

What gives? Ever heard of this? Is there a fitting that will convert from one to the other?

Thanks for the info!

CoolTech
July 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I have 2 Conshelf SE2's. One is my primary and the other is my octo.

JeffThis is my double setup... My single setup is S600 and S600 as the octo...

Lone Frogman
July 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM

The biggest problem is finding an hp hose with the same size fitting as an lp hose.

What gives? Ever heard of this? Is there a fitting that will convert from one to the other?

Thanks for the info!

Yes there is a 3/8 by 1/2 reducer available. Correction 3/8 by 7/16

Luis H
July 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM

I just acquired an NOS Conshelf XIV. It has 1 hp and 3 lp ports. The thing is, all 4 ports are the same size. You can thread your inflator hose or 2nd stage hose into the hp port. Of course you'd find out real quick as soon as you pressurize the system but I can deal with getting them in the right spot. The biggest problem is finding an hp hose with the same size fitting as an lp hose.

Thanks for the info!

Any vintage regulator (that had a HP port at all) used the same 3/8” fitting.

You can still get HP hoses with 3/8” fitting, but an adapter is a lot more common. Any decent dive shop should either have them in stock or can order it and have it in a few days.

To find a new hose with the actual fitting you may need to look in the vintage equipment message boards. There are suppliers out there, but I can remember who.

Here is one other source for the fitting:
3/8&quot; Male to 7/16&quot; Female Regulator Adapter (AA51) from LeisurePro.com (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6%3d692/AQUHAC.html?Hit=1)

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/AQUHAC.JPG

ZzzKing
July 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Any vintage regulator (that had a HP port at all) used the same 3/8” fitting.

You can still get HP hoses with 3/8” fitting, but an adapter is a lot more common. Any decent dive shop should either have them in stock or can order it and have it in a few days.

To find a new hose with the actual fitting you may need to look in the vintage equipment message boards. There are suppliers out there, but I can remember who.

Here is one other source for the fitting:
3/8&quot; Male to 7/16&quot; Female Regulator Adapter (AA51) from LeisurePro.com (http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6%3d692/AQUHAC.html?Hit=1)

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/AQUHAC.JPG

Thanks to Lone Frogman and Luis H for the info and the link.

Of course if I buy from Leisurepro I won't get free parts for life. :rofl3:

sndt1319
July 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Well,

My Conself14s showed up and passed the tech inspection. The Oct was a plastic US Dives second stage and it had some cracks in the housing where the LP hose enters. It doesn't leak though so I should be able to use it for a little while. (Is there any harm in putting a little epoxy in the cracks to help patch the problem before it starts leaking?)

I dove the set last night and they worked great. I had WAY too much weight and struggled the first dive a lot. We had a long surface swim and I had to work my ass off to stay stable at the surface with my BP/W setup. The second dive I got my weight much closer to being correct. It made life much easier. Although my back hurt so much after the first dive I had trouble sleeping last night.

Over all I am really happy with my $165 investment.

DoubleHoseDiver
February 27th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I recently returned my 1982 Conshelf XIV back into service and noticed that on my doubles setup that the two LP hoses are hitting the tanks and I am unable to hook the first stage up without stressing those hoses. Has anyone experienced this before? Tim

Luis H
February 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I recently returned my 1982 Conshelf XIV back into service and noticed that on my doubles setup that the two LP hoses are hitting the tanks and I am unable to hook the first stage up without stressing those hoses. Has anyone experienced this before? Tim

Some pictures would help.

The Conshelf doesn't have the greatest hose routing, but the biggest issue I have is that the extra LP ports tend to point up and the HP port points straight to the left, not down.

DoubleHoseDiver
February 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
That's odd Luis. On mine the reg comes straight out off the right shoulder and the HP to the SPG is straight out off the left shoulder. My problem is the two LP ports point down which is not a problem with a single tank but is in the way on my doubles. It would be better if the LP ports did face up and out of the way. Tim

bill_bain
March 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Another Conshelf question here - The LDS decided that my Conshelf XI would be a problem to use on dive trips because the yoke wasn't a 3000 psi yoke, so they installed a Conshelf Supreme first stage (gave me back the Conshelf XI first stage, too). Question: they also gave me a metal threaded ring that screws into the bottom of the first stage and a rubber diaphragm that apparently goes underneath it. I think that it might be the "environmental" kit. I also think that I read somewhere that there's a newer environmental kit that is easier to install (or at least less messy to service).

1. Is there any virtue (or vice) to installing the environmental kit particularly if one is an infrequent diver?
2. Assuming that the answer to question 1 favors installing the kit, is there a source for the "new" kit?

Thanks!

Fishpie
March 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
The Supreme is the cold water version of the USD range.
If you are not going to be diving in sub 45 temps there's no harm in leaving the kit uninstalled.
If you do need the cold water protection you have all the parts right now....I don't think there is a new environmental cap that fits the Conshelf. Your shop would fill the end cap with mineral oil and use the ring and diaphragm to hold it there.

Luis H
March 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Another Conshelf question here - The LDS decided that my Conshelf XI would be a problem to use on dive trips because the yoke wasn't a 3000 psi yoke, so they installed a Conshelf Supreme first stage (gave me back the Conshelf XI first stage, too). Question: they also gave me a metal threaded ring that screws into the bottom of the first stage and a rubber diaphragm that apparently goes underneath it. I think that it might be the "environmental" kit. I also think that I read somewhere that there's a newer environmental kit that is easier to install (or at least less messy to service).

1. Is there any virtue (or vice) to installing the environmental kit particularly if one is an infrequent diver?
2. Assuming that the answer to question 1 favors installing the kit, is there a source for the "new" kit?

Thanks!

You don't really need the environmental kit. Most Conshelf never had an environmental kit and they all work just fine. The environmental kit in the supreme requires to be filled with compatible oil which is a mess.

The new dry chamber environmental kit is nice to have for ice diving and to keep salt water and sand out of the external spring chamber, but it is by no means essential. If you rinse and soak your regulator proper, the second item is not really an issue, just a nice thing to have.

For ice diving again it is very nice to have, but the design is very freeze resistant even without the environmental kit.

Any Aqua Lung dealer can get you a replacement environmental kit if you want it.

BTW, the yoke on the Conshelf XI can be replaced with the newest heavy yoke. As far as I know they are perfectly interchangeable. You can also probably sell the old yoke to some vintage equipment divers. I think that is the same long yoke that would fit the old Mistral double hose single stage regulator. I may be wrong.

The regulator on the left post pointing backwards is a Conshelf with the new dry chamber environmental kit.
Here is a bit more info on my rig show on those pictures:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/256559-latest-technical-diving-regulator-phoenix.html

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/wavejockey/DSCN4596.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/wavejockey/DSCN4595.jpg

Luis H
March 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
That's odd Luis. On mine the reg comes straight out off the right shoulder and the HP to the SPG is straight out off the left shoulder. My problem is the two LP ports point down which is not a problem with a single tank but is in the way on my doubles. It would be better if the LP ports did face up and out of the way. Tim

Hi DoubleHoseDiver

You are correct. I had it backwards.
I guess that I am getting used to mounting that regulator facing back. :rolleyes:
Take a look at the pictures above.
Sorry for the mistake.

DoubleHoseDiver
March 13th, 2009, 05:29 AM
If the Conshelf has a drawback, it would be the hose routing and you certainly have a clever approach for that Luis. On my double set up the two LP hoses hit the tanks, so I will use those swivels like you have to change the routing. Thanks, Luis Tim

Slonda828
March 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Just so we can answer this, These are the all metal conshelf models:

Conshelf VI: 1HP, 1LP, old style metal 2nd with 7/8" exhaust valve.

Conshelf XI: 1HP, 2LP, improved 2nd stage with 7/8" exhaust valve.

Conshelf XII: 1HP, 3LP, current 2nd stage design with 1 3/16" exhaust valve.

Conshelf XIV: 1HP, 3LP, current 2nd stage design with 1 3/16" exhaust valve. This first stage has a snap ring over the yoke.

Following these models, the last of which was released in 1978 or so, USD went to those plasticky second stages.

3000PSI yokes will fit on all models, as will DIN adapters. I have tested this personally.

bill_bain
March 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Re: "Annual" of a Conshelf 14. So, in reviewing the Conshelf 14 service manual, it really looks like nearly all of the "rebuild" is disassembly, cleaning and reassembly with the new parts from the service kit. The only really "specail" tool seesm to be the tool to seat the HP seat, and an IP pressure guage.

I'm tempted to try it on one of my spares - Looks like it might be an interesting exercise.

Fishpie
March 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
....most people can get the HP seat, balance chamber, springs and circlip in easily without the "special" tool. You can also use a wood dowel or the blunt end of a pencil to push everything down.

DoubleHoseDiver
March 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Go to Vintage Double Hose (http://www.vintagedoublehose.com) and enter the store and look at this tool.Manuals and Tools
Product 2/7

larger image High Pressure Block Assembly Guide
Tom Madere has made a fantastic copy of the U.S. Divers tool # 1110-00 or Navy Manual tool # 1130. This tool is used to center and align the seat, spring, spring block and filter and also installs the retaining ring into the nozzle. It is made from 6061 aluminum and will not mar or damage the nozzle finish. Tom has taken the tool one step further and made a Delrin rod and knob to depress the whole assembly through the guide. The factory recommends using a Ž½ wood dowel rod. I have been using this tool on my bench for 4 years now and it makes re-assembly of the high pressure nozzle a breeze. If you rebuild double hose regulators or just like to disassemble and thoroughly clean yours on a regular basis then this is a must have tool for every bench. This tool will also work on most early model single hose regulators that have a removable yoke retained by a nut such as Calypso, Conshelf etc. If you are interested in purchasing this tool please E-mail Tom Madere at tmadere@bellsouth.net They are custom made one at a time.................... Tom is also supremely skilled with all types of J and K valves. He does have some parts last time I checked. He has also turned out a few specialty parts for me on various types of regulators. CanÃÕ hurt to ask him?.He aint cheap but you will never match his skills, quality or inventiveness! ....................tmadere@bellsouth.net

Add to Cart:

Model: HP Block assembly tool
Shipping Weight: 2lbs
0 Units in Stock

larger image
larger image
larger image

Gen San Chris
March 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I used Conshelf regs for a long time and still have 5 sets on my rentals, excellent regs and I will recomend them to anyone!

james croft
March 24th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Well,

My Conself14s showed up and passed the tech inspection. The Oct was a plastic US Dives second stage and it had some cracks in the housing where the LP hose enters. It doesn't leak though so I should be able to use it for a little while. (Is there any harm in putting a little epoxy in the cracks to help patch the problem before it starts leaking?)

I dove the set last night and they worked great. I had WAY too much weight and struggled the first dive a lot. We had a long surface swim and I had to work my ass off to stay stable at the surface with my BP/W setup. The second dive I got my weight much closer to being correct. It made life much easier. Although my back hurt so much after the first dive I had trouble sleeping last night.

Over all I am really happy with my $165 investment.
The cracks you mentioned were a cause of a recall back in the day for the regs with the plastic boxes. I personally would try to replace that and not try to epoxy it.
I have picked up brass Conshelf 14s second stages for 20 bucks on eBay. that would be the way to go. End of problems for cracking.

Slonda828
March 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Simple!

I'll answer in simple terms:

The conshelf SEA is the only one.

R2K2
April 27th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Where can I find the Yoke to DIN 300 for a conshelf 21. I was looking for a coldwater reg but after reading this thread I may stick with the 21 if I can find a converter.

jamiep3
May 10th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Where can I find the Yoke to DIN 300 for a conshelf 21. I was looking for a coldwater reg but after reading this thread I may stick with the 21 if I can find a converter.

My LDS had them in stock for my Conshelf XIV, they are still available through Aqualung dealers. I believe the same one would fit a 21.

On another topic, I skimmed through this post and was just wondering, is there any difference between the XIV 1st stage and a Conshelf 21 first stage, besides having one more port drilled and threaded?

Hallmac
May 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
On another topic, I skimmed through this post and was just wondering, is there any difference between the XIV 1st stage and a Conshelf 21 first stage, besides having one more port drilled and threaded?

They are the same internally.

Fishpie
May 11th, 2009, 07:32 AM
As you said there is one more LP 3/8" port and the HP port is now 7/16".
The LP ports are now arranged that it is possible to have the inflator hose above the HP hose.
The 21 is, in my view, the best Conshelf for hose routing.
Earlier models had fewer LP ports and 3/8th HP ports.
Later models went to at least 1 1/2" LP hose...SE2, or even all 1/2" ...SE.
Someone correct me, but I think the 22 went back to the all 3/8" arrangement. Was the SE3 or the 22 the last Conshelf?.....apart from the 14 that is still in limited production.

bill_bain
May 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Re: Hose routing.

Add an right angle adapter to the Conshelf 14 for the inflator hose and the hose routing seems OK to me. The HP port leads the HP hose down under the left arm (and fits just fine with the 7/16 to 3/8 adapter AND a Scubapro QD), one LP port points down and to the right arm so that the octopus hose runs under the right arm, and with the adapter, the inflator hose runs flat along the shoulder to the BC inflator instead of arcing up (and straining the hose/fitting junction on the inflator hose). The 3/8 to 7/16 adapters aren't very bulky. It's perhaps not as streamlined as it might be but it works fine.

Of course, the OP was asking about 2 HP ports so this won't fix that problem. :-)

LCromwell
June 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
I routinely see Conshelf XII's and XIV's in addition to the newer variants come through the shop for service. Essentially the major difference bewteen models is the port arrangements with some differences in the number of Lp ports and hose sizes. Internally they are essentially identical and take the same annual service kit.

What is the chance you might have two LP port allen screws and one HP port screw for a Conshelf 21, AKA, SE2 ?

Slonda828
June 2nd, 2009, 01:56 AM
As you said there is one more LP 3/8" port and the HP port is now 7/16".
The LP ports are now arranged that it is possible to have the inflator hose above the HP hose.
The 21 is, in my view, the best Conshelf for hose routing.
Earlier models had fewer LP ports and 3/8th HP ports.
Later models went to at least 1 1/2" LP hose...SE2, or even all 1/2" ...SE.
Someone correct me, but I think the 22 went back to the all 3/8" arrangement. Was the SE3 or the 22 the last Conshelf?.....apart from the 14 that is still in limited production.

The 22 is what I use. It has 4 LP (3/8") and 1 HP (7/16"). The first stage that is from the 21/22 is one of the only true conshelf first stages (IE not an SEA) that will run a drysuit without one of those crappy multi-port adapters.

The 21 is the same first stage as the 22 with a different second stage as per the USD manual.

The 21 is the same first stage as the XIV, 20, and 22 as far as port spacing, so they are all the same for hose routing. The XIV/20 only has 3 LP and 1 3/8" HP, the 21/22 has 4 LP and 1 HP (7/16").

You gotta love those conshelves.

Fishpie
June 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
.....I might be being pedantic here but the hose routing is not the same. In the 14 and 20 the HP hose will rout above the inflator hose and on the 21, SE, SE2, SE3 and 22 you can have the HP hose under the inflator hose (a little neater). Yes, the meat of the 1st stage is identical in all these models the only variation is the finish, number, size and spacing of the ports.

Slonda828
June 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
.....I might be being pedantic here but the hose routing is not the same. In the 14 and 20 the HP hose will rout above the inflator hose and on the 21, SE, SE2, SE3 and 22 you can have the HP hose under the inflator hose (a little neater). Yes, the meat of the 1st stage is identical in all these models the only variation is the finish, number, size and spacing of the ports.

Yeah, to me that is close enough to call it the same. Whatever floats your boat though, or sinks your submarine. :D Plus, you had excellent word usage.

LCromwell
June 8th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I bid on and got ($34) a very clean, on the outside SE2. I am having my LDS look at it now and do whatever it needs. I like the amount of ports and the better arrangement of the LP's than my Conshelf XII. It looks like it will take the same tune up kit as my Conshelf XII?

Slonda828
June 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Yuppers, they all take the same kit pretty much. The titan/legend kit works as well. It's pretty much the same HP seat (minus the seat material) as the Royal Aqua Master from the 60's.

R2K2
June 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
My LDS does not want to service my Conshelf 21 which is my back up. They want to sell me a new rig. Any suggestions for a good mail in service shop?

james croft
June 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Any shop that can get aqua lung parts should be able to easily do an overhaul. They are very simple regs to work on. It is also quite easy to overhaul them yourself.

Slonda828
June 9th, 2009, 11:54 AM
My LDS does not want to service my Conshelf 21 which is my back up. They want to sell me a new rig. Any suggestions for a good mail in service shop?

If you are not comfortable repairing your own gear, then find a friend or a teach who is. I sell parts kits for this family of regulators on:

Vintage Double Hose (http://www.vintagedoublehose.com)

I do not encourage people who do not know regulators to repair their own. If you are anywhere near Georgia I would always do it for you.

LCromwell
June 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Any shop that can get aqua lung parts should be able to easily do an overhaul. They are very simple regs to work on. It is also quite easy to overhaul them yourself.

I have thought about doing the overhaul myself, as I have the kits, but what do you do about re-setting the pressure in the stage one? Is it just a matter of screwing in or out the big screw that can take a quarter to screw it where it is just short of free flow? And of course you have to use this new crystal lube on the internal "O" rings which they are charging too much for on eBay.

jamiep3
June 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yuppers, they all take the same kit pretty much. The titan/legend kit works as well. It's pretty much the same HP seat (minus the seat material) as the Royal Aqua Master from the 60's.
Is your shop an Aqualung dealer? If not look around for one that is.

Slonda828
June 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Is your shop an Aqualung dealer? If not look around for one that is.

Why would I need a dealer? I can assemble all the parts minus the HP seats myself, and the seats I can get from Bryan.

LCromwell
June 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Now I have, I think a really interesting question besides the huge price, what is the advantage to the newer Aqualung regs like the LEDGEND or the AquaLung TITAN LX 2008 or Aqualung XTX 200 Status Regulator or Aqualung XTX 50 Status Regulator. I am not diving in fridgid cold water if that is the reason for them. I read where some have a battery that will tell you when you need to replace the parts in it. Are they really different and worth $350 to $500?

Slonda828
June 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
This is a question for Greg Barlow, but I'll attempt it.

You have to wonder that very same question, as they all use the same HP seat. This means that the first stage volcano orifice is very close, if not exactly the same size. Mostly, from my experience (I've rebuilt about 30 USD regulators of various vintages) the only real difference is in the port size and configuration and whether or not the reg is sealed. If you get a really old reg, it may have a yoke for a lower service pressure (2250 PSI) tank in lieu of a standard modern pressure (3000 PSI) tank as well.

FWIW I cannot tell the difference in work of breathing from a 1965 conshelf VI and a 2004 conshelf XIV for the life of me. If the IP and cracking pressure are the same I cannot honestly tell any difference at all.

LCromwell
June 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is a question for Greg Barlow, but I'll attempt it.

You have to wonder that very same question, as they all use the same HP seat. This means that the first stage volcano orifice is very close, if not exactly the same size. Mostly, from my experience (I've rebuilt about 30 USD regulators of various vintages) the only real difference is in the port size and configuration and whether or not the reg is sealed. If you get a really old reg, it may have a yoke for a lower service pressure (2250 PSI) tank in lieu of a standard modern pressure (3000 PSI) tank as well.

FWIW I cannot tell the difference in work of breathing from a 1965 conshelf VI and a 2004 conshelf XIV for the life of me. If the IP and cracking pressure are the same I cannot honestly tell any difference at all.

So these newer looking Aqualungs are all cosmetic, except for the battery to tell me hey it's re build time?

Luis H
June 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The only advantages of the Titan first stage over the Conshelf is a replaceable volcano orifice and IMO better hose routing. The Legend is similar.

The second stage is where there are more differences. I prefer the metal second stages, but I also like the balanced adjustable features found in many modern second stages.

For that reason I use (on my stage bottles and alternate regulator) a vintage Conshelf (with a dry environmental kit) first stage with a vintage Scubapro Balanced adjustable second stage. This IMO gives me the best of all combinations.

The electronic monitoring junk they added to the Apeks is that last thing I would want to see in any regulator of mine. For about $20 you can buy an IP gauge and check the same thing (actually a lot more) before every dive if you feel so inclined. Spending any money on an electronic pressure checker is IMO an extra complication that adds nothing of value.

LCromwell
June 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.:D

DoubleHoseDiver
June 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I use an old Conshelf XIV and have a Calypso VI as my octo. I like the idea of the adjustable Scubapro reg as the second. Nice idea Luis, Tim

LCromwell
June 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I bid on and got ($34) a very clean, on the outside SE2. I am having my LDS look at it now and do whatever it needs. I like the amount of ports and the better arrangement of the LP's than my Conshelf XII. It looks like it will take the same tune up kit as my Conshelf XII?

My LDS did a minor pressure adjustment and charged me nothing to do that on the Conshelf SE2 I bought off ebay. He agreed it is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. So now my Gekko will work with it, as opposed to my getting an adapter to go in my Conshelf XII. (Different HP port size for those that don't know):D

Slonda828
June 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
My LDS did a minor pressure adjustment and charged me nothing to do that on the Conshelf SE2 I bought off ebay. He agreed it is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. So now my Gekko will work with it, as opposed to my getting an adapter to go in my Conshelf XII. (Different HP port size for those that don't know):D

Isn't it great when, for once, you are NOT ripped off? $34 bucks for a great regulator is a heckuva deal!

bigdave195412
June 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I've been using conshelf regulators since I started diving in the early 70's. with over 1200 dives under my belt, I've never had a malfunction. I have them serviced at least once every 2 years and I use them primarily in salt water. If you rinse them well after after use and keep the hoses and mouthpiece well siliconed, they will give you years of trouble free use. I presently own 6 conshelfs 2- IV's, 2- supremes, 1-21, and 1 conshelf 22. I would never dispose of mine.

Slonda828
June 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I've been using conshelf regulators since I started diving in the early 70's. with over 1200 dives under my belt, I've never had a malfunction. I have them serviced at least once every 2 years and I use them primarily in salt water. If you rinse them well after after use and keep the hoses and mouthpiece well siliconed, they will give you years of trouble free use. I presently own 6 conshelfs 2- IV's, 2- supremes, 1-21, and 1 conshelf 22. I would never dispose of mine.

Dave,

I have to agree with you man, I've got a VI, an XI, an XII, an XIV, and even a 22. I have never once had a malfunction of anykind, and they will take a TON of intermediate pressure. They are also one of few regulators that you can get the cracking pressure down to the .6-.8 range as well.

Have you serviced a supreme yourself yet? If so, is it difficult at all? All of mine are not environmentally sealed so I'm curious.

bigdave195412
June 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
No, i haven't serviced the supremes myself. I have rebuilt my IV's myself. I might have to try a supreme next time one needs it. I'm not sure how much trouble it will be working with the silicone
to fill and cap the first stage.

LCromwell
July 6th, 2009, 07:30 PM
The SE2 I got off eBay for $34 looked very clean. I had my LDS check it out and all he said it needed was a little adjustment, No Charge for that. It looks just like my Conshelf XII but has one more LP port and a larger hole for the HP port, so I had to buy an adapter to get the new Tusa depth / pressure guage to fit.:D

couv
July 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The SE2 I got off eBay for $34 looked very clean. I had my LDS check it out and all he said it needed was a little adjustment, No Charge for that. It looks just like my Conshelf XII but has one more LP port and a larger hole for the HP port, so I had to buy an adapter to get the new Tusa depth / pressure guage to fit.:D

Well done on your purchase.

Nice avatar too...;)

c

claymore
July 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Can some one make a recommendation on which Conshelf's would fit my needs (there are so many and I have not been able to find a source of which model has what)?

They appear to be inexpensive plentiful, bullet proof and easy to maintain.

I want to use this reg as a back up, for my daugther to use if she dives with me and as the second reg if I setup my 108's as doubles.

I am looking for a first stage that has 1 HP port and at least 3LP ports, balanced, 3000 psi yoke, and the vailability of the non siliconed enviro seal.

What model or models of second stages would be the best?

Thanks for any info.

Slonda828
July 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Can some one make a recommendation on which Conshelf's would fit my needs (there are so many and I have not been able to find a source of which model has what)?

They appear to be inexpensive plentiful, bullet proof and easy to maintain.

I want to use this reg as a back up, for my daugther to use if she dives with me and as the second reg if I setup my 108's as doubles.

I am looking for a first stage that has 1 HP port and at least 3LP ports, balanced, 3000 psi yoke, and the vailability of the non siliconed enviro seal.

What model or models of second stages would be the best?

Thanks for any info.

Any late model conshelf XII would work (the later ones had 3 LP). Any XIV, 20, 21, 22, etc. would work. If you want the one that is most readily availible I would get a XIV. It is Navy approved, has 3LP, 1HP, and you can changed it from yoke to DIN if you feel so compelled. You can also change it to a supreme with an environmental kit should you so desire later. You could probably find one on Ebay in great shape from 30 bucks to 150 bucks depending on condition and such. Just don't tell too many people about this, or they'll stop spending 600 bucks on plastic regulators and buy up our good ones ;)

jamiep3
July 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I use Conshelf XIV's for my primary, secondary, and pony/stage bottle, all converted to DIN. I just acquired a Conshelf 21 1st stage that I'm going to set up as my travel reg, yoke, XIV 1st stages (I Like Brass), and enough LP ports to add my Dry Suit whip if I need too.

These are great regs, the only problem I have ever had was because I let one of them go way too long without service and had a small leak. I'll write that off to user error. Never had any problem getting them serviced, and in my personal opinion I think I get less dry mouth with a brass 2nd stage.

Slonda828
July 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Jamie,

We dive the same setup. I use a 21 for drysuit and tech stuff, then a XIV for everything else. I also concur that brass second stages are the bees knees. Baras seem to stare at me more, but they have not attacked my face yet so I think we are good.

mobeeno
July 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Jamie,

I also concur that brass second stages are the bees knees.

Bees knees? (Excellent - the highest quality) Had to google that one. Glad I have an X1V

knotical
July 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Returning again to the OP’s original question:
How many models of Conshelves are out there? I've only heard of Conshelf XIV and Conshelf 22. Are there other Conshelf models out there?In post #120 I provided a list of Conshelf models:
the Conshelf series has included:
XII, XIV, 20, 21, 22, and 30 (actually a minor variant on the XIV second stage)
SE, SE2, SE3, SEA, SEA2, SEA4, SEAS, SES, Supreme, and EFA
... I found a few mentions of Conshelf VI and XI on the web, but have no independent confirmationSince then some helpful folks (notably DA Aquamaster and Slonda828) have confirmed that the VI and XI models existed.

Additionally, I just stumbled on further confirmation, by NEDU no less, at:

Evaluation of U. S. Diver's Co. Modified Conshelf VI and Conshelf XI Conversion to Conshelf XII Open Circuit Regulators, (http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0773440)

Title : Evaluation of U. S. Diver's Co. Modified Conshelf VI and Conshelf XI Conversion to Conshelf XII Open Circuit Regulators,

Abstract : The U. S. Diver's Conshelf VI was tested by the Experimental Diving Unit in 1963, in February 1973 for service use. In 1972 the Conshelf XII was tested by the Navy Experimental Diving Unit and in October 1972 was approved for service use. In 1971, the Conshelf XI superceded the Conshelf VI. The Conshelf XI was never submitted for testing hence never approved. At the present time, only the Conshelf XII is available. In an effort to rectify discrepencies in the Conshelf VI, XI, and XII regulators, U.S. Diver's proposed converting all conshelf VI and XI to Conshelf XII.This also could explain to some extent why VI’s and XI’s are scarce. Does anyone know whether the conversion to XII’s actually took place?

johnson_steve
August 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hi I'm new and I'm trying to find information about my regulator. I have my dads equipment and it's older then I am. The guy at my local dive shop seemed to think it's rare and pointed out where it says U.D.T. on the pressure gauge. it is a model: Conshelf XI regulator. Does anyone have any information for me?

bill_bain
August 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
I bought a Conshelf XI from "Honest Archie" at Central Skindivers in 1971. Still own it. I never heard anythiing about a conversion to a Conshelf XII

WD8CDH
September 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
There is also a version of the Conshelf first stage with a replaceable HP orifice. I am trying to find what series it was. I think it was the 21 - 22 era.

Fishpie
September 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Quick servicing question.
That small, thin nylon washer that goes between the circlip and filter is missing on about 90% of the 1st stages I service. Of the 10% that that do have the washer most of these are getting their 1st service.
I figure most Conshelfs get serviced by simply compressing the whole -seat-spring-balance chamber-spring-filter- tower with the pliers and it's a pain to get the nylon washer in place, so most people just don't bother replacing it.
Using the insertion tool (I use a pencil) it can be done quite easily.
My question is, if you get a 1st stage with this washer missing, do you put a new one in at service?

knotical
September 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yep. That filter washer is metal and comes in the service kit, although it might depend on when the kits were made. Even the retaining ring ("circlip") is included. The only things in that assembly not replaced with service are the two springs and the spring block.

And I use the recommended half-inch dowel instead of a pencil.

JOSHINBOS
September 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I own a ConShelf 21 2nd Stage ... bought it used

DoubleHoseDiver
September 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Quick servicing question.
That small, thin nylon washer that goes between the circlip and filter is missing on about 90% of the 1st stages I service. Of the 10% that that do have the washer most of these are getting their 1st service.
I figure most Conshelfs get serviced by simply compressing the whole -seat-spring-balance chamber-spring-filter- tower with the pliers and it's a pain to get the nylon washer in place, so most people just don't bother replacing it.
Using the insertion tool (I use a pencil) it can be done quite easily.
My question is, if you get a 1st stage with this washer missing, do you put a new one in at service?

Take a look at this tool at Vintage Double Hose (http://www.vintagedoublehose.com) Product Image Item Name- Price
High Pressure Block Assembly Guide
Tom Madere has made a fantastic copy of the U.S. Divers tool # 1110-00 or Navy Manual tool # 1130. This tool is used to center and align the seat,...

Tim

Fishpie
September 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM
To be honest most of the time I'm lazy and just keep the stack centered and just push down on the sintered filter with the circlip pliers and don't use the nylon spacer/washer.

Luis H
September 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
To be honest most of the time I'm lazy and just keep the stack centered and just push down on the sintered filter with the circlip pliers and don't use the nylon spacer/washer.

Aqua Lung has basically replaced the nylon washer with a stainless steel washer. You may find some of the nylon washers from dive shops that are using up stock, but I though that were a pain to work with.

The stainless washer (part # 124628) is real easy to work with. It doesn’t hang up when installing the assembly (like the plastic one tends to do).

Is it essential to install the washer at all… probably not, but it is design to take up the gap left behind when Aqua Lung went from the old filters with the integrated rings (it started back with the Royal Aqua Master) to the simple sintered metal filters, which are thinner.
Having this gap reduces the short spring tension on the back of the spring block (the balancing chamber). Actually, the early filters with the rings came from the early Broxton Ave. regulators, etc.

The short spring is design to press the balancing chamber (aka spring block) against the small shoulder / lip in the first stage body. It is important for the balancing function for the spring block to be supported on that lip, but I think the short spring will always take care of that (with or without the washer spacer). I can’t think of any real harm by not replacing the spacer washer, but using the stainless washers is so easy I can’t think of a reason not to use them.

The assembly tool made by Tom makes reassembly a lot easier. I have done it for many years (even when I worked at a couple of dive shop) with just a dowel, but after having the tool I am totally spoiled. I just like having the right tool for the job. It just makes the job a lot easier. I aslo work with Royal Aqua Master's, Conshelf's, and Titan's often enough that I like to make it as easy as possible to reassemble them...

WD8CDH
September 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Over the years, I have seen 2 or 3 broken filters without the washer. Other than that, like Luis said, I can't see any harm in leaving it out.

EODiver
September 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
To answer Slonda's question about the conshelf supreme. The upper half of the 1st stage is the same, with the exception of a lower IP (125 +/-5 psi). After adjusting the IP, pressurize the regulator and fill the reservoir with silicone and fit the enviro diaphragm, and screw on the retainer ring. Then release the pressure source and the diaphragm will suck down a little bit, giving it a dimpled appearance.

I just rebuilt one 3 days ago, and dove it the following morning. It worked great and just became the back-up to my PRAM. I love using things that I built/ fixed myself.

diveanytime
October 10th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Where can I get the silicone? Years ago, when I got my Conshelf 21 Supreme serviced, the guy removed the environmental stuff and said I really didn't need it for Monterey 46 degree F diving. But I'm thinking of putting it back.

WD8CDH
October 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Silicone brake fluid.

claymore
October 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I believe the dry chamber system for the Titan & Cousteau/SEA will fit many of the Conshelfs. I think its about $70.00.

WD8CDH
October 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I have heard that before. Any confirmation?

Very good idea for someone who wants to upgrade a non-environmentally sealed Conshelf, but if already environmentally sealed, I would keep it liquid filled. I haven't tried it my self, but I know of others who have used alcohol or food grade or RV antifreeze

HenrikBP
October 12th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Here's Luis' post:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4476998-post24.html

Henrik

claymore
October 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
According to Aqualungs parts catalog the Conshelf 21 uses the same dry environmental kit as the Titan, Couseau/SEA and several others. The kit no. is 100525

EODiver
October 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
To answer Diveanytime about what fluid to use, you can by the one listed in the Conshelf manual, or use a food safe silicon. I used an aerosol from CRC that is used in food service.

Make sure that all your adjustments are complete before proceeding.

I sprayed some into a paper funnel cup (the ones on the side of water coolers), so that the aerosol could collect in the bottom. You won't need alot, only 1 or 2 oz's.

Make sure that you pressurize the 1st stage first, (Don't ask how I know that...) then pour the liquid in the chamber and finish by screwing the seal and retainer ring down.

When you relieve the pressure the environmental seal will suck back in a little, and leave a dimple.

I have used mine in some real nasty places without any adverse effects.

oldschoolto
July 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone.... After reading all 25 pages of this thread, I know I'm in the right place.... Just getting back in to diving after many yrs away... Got the wife her open water card and setting up gear for us....

Got two brand new in the box with the tags still on them, Conshelf Surpremes with octo and gauges for $275.00 .... SERIAL DATE 78 on the octo's and 79 on the 2nd stage surpremes... 4000psi on the yoke of 1st stage...

I need / want to clean and service them before use of course.... Need to know... Do I use the cold water parts in the octo's like a surpreme or use the XIV parts ? Any tricks I need to know ? Have the tech manual on pdf and printed out.... The only thing that's wrong with them is the black seal on the 1st stage is no longer dimpled in like it should be, But.... After 30+ yrs a little air many have leaked in...

Any help would be GREAT.....

jim...

Paladin
July 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
I am a devotee of the Conshelf series, but all mine are the standard versions. I don't do cold water, so my regs aren't environmentally sealed. Perhaps Herman or Luis can give you some advice.

Luis H
July 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
The Conshelf first stage work well in cold water (here in Maine during the summer) even without the environmental kit in place. I would not worry about the environmental kit unless you are planning on diving in the winter, ice diving, etc.

I have several Conshelf Supreme, other Conshelf, and my wife’s Titan and I have installed the newer dry environmental kit on all of them. The Conshelf can use the same environmental kit as for the Titan.

If you service it as a Supreme, you will need some silicone oil to fill the chamber.

Look at the diagram below. I use the kit described on the right.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/wavejockey/Conshelf22-21-20-XIVXIVsupPartlist.jpg

Where in Maine are located?

oldschoolto
July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Northern Maine.... The ice is off the lakes in may some yrs.....

Jim...

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1