can someone point me in the right direction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

west_mesa

Reaction score
some where on the west mesa, and a cabin at 9000'
It's been along time since I've bought any equipment, so which companies out there makes masks & snorkles that seem to fit the majority of the divers, or have a very good reputation. Sorry for the newbee question and thanks for any information

Well, after diving for the past 26 years and having to buy at least a couple of masks, my suggestion is NOT who makes it but where do I find one that fits me.
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but it really doesn't matter to me who makes the mask, what's more important to me is how it fits. I just go into the dive shop (sometimes several) and start trying on masks in the 30-50$ proice range. I don't like a purge valve (just one more thing to go wrong) and I don't like the clear skirts, but everything else would be considered. After I find one that fits exactly like I want with no concessions, I look at the price tag and the mfg. (just for curiousity) and go home happy.
good hunting.
db

cdennyb:
Well, after diving for the past 26 years and having to buy at least a couple of masks, my suggestion is NOT who makes it but where do I find one that fits me.
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but it really doesn't matter to me who makes the mask, what's more important to me is how it fits. I just go into the dive shop (sometimes several) and start trying on masks in the 30-50$ proice range. I don't like a purge valve (just one more thing to go wrong) and I don't like the clear skirts, but everything else would be considered. After I find one that fits exactly like I want with no concessions, I look at the price tag and the mfg. (just for curiousity) and go home happy.
good hunting.
db
I'll second that. The fit is important and not the brand.
Nevertheless there are couple of "more interesting" masks
The Cressi Sub Big Eyes ie interesting because it gives you a nice view over your gear.
Mares Esa has 6 windows but firly high internal volume.
The Silicone of the Tusa masks appears to be somewhat softer than other companies.
I am using a Mares Seta mask and I bought it because it fits my face well.

I had been trying a bunch of masks. Some at the shop, and some in the water, on loan. I found a Tusa I like and a couple others that were great too. I also, almost as a joke, tried a mask from a mask/snorkel set from Walmart, labelled USDivers, that a fellow diver bought for the kids to use snorkelling. THAT mask fits me great!! For $10 I will surely throw one of these in the dive bag as a backup. Not a great quality mask, but usable. My point is, don't count anything out. Sometimes you find decent masks in unlikely places.

Back
Top Bottom