Is decompression a problem when traveling on Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reynoldss2

Registered
Reaction score
We are traveling to the "Big Island" next year. We haven't been able to find info about diving and then driving to Hilo and Volcano National Park while we are there. Is it a problem to mix the diving and the sightseeing at higher altitudes or are we being over cautious?

Aloha Reynoldss2
Depends on the depth/time issue.
I'll tell you about the road elevation and you can decide for yourself.

Going south to Volcano the road elevation hits 4000'+; north to Hilo (via Waimea) the road elevation hits 3000'+; saddle road 7000'+. (I would stay off of the Saddle road after diving)

Choose your diving/sightseeing carefully, but don't get crazy with worry. By the time you finish your dives for the day and then get on the road headed anywhere, it will be a couple of hours before you reach 3000'+, unless you try harder to get there faster.

Matthew J D'Avella

Thanks Matthew,
We haven't done a dive trip before and want to be around to do many more.

Decompression is theory, not science. Reduce your risk as much as possible by doing your altitude sightseeing before your diving, i.e. your first day on island.

YMMV, but I tend to treat anything over 2000' as the same as flying, and give it the proper SI. Keep in mind that the upper highway above Kona reaches elevations in the 1500' to 2000' range. Also, tours on Mauna Kea are at an altitude of 14,000'!

You may be able to get away with diving and sightseeing at altitude in the same day; HOWEVER, you are taking the more conservative root by sightseeing first or observing a 18-24 hour SI first.

reynoldss2:
[...] Is it a problem to mix the diving and the sightseeing at higher altitudes or are we being over cautious?

Generally speaking, I try to wait until my dive computers clear their "no fly" times before
heading to Kilauea. The summit of Kilauea is about 4400', and you'll cross near that
heading to Hilo via the "southern" route. Heading the other direction, via Waimea,
you'll pass near 3500'. (Saddle Road crests at 7000' or so, btw).

I wait extra time before taking guests up to see the telescopes atop Mauna Kea
(14000') - a minimum of 24 hours since the last dive, and more if they've been
doing a lot of diving.

Two useful websites:

USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
Mauna Kea Observatories

Enjoy your visit to the Big Island!

thanks gkndivebum for the info and links. some friends and i are doing another 3 day trip to kona and plan on driving to see the lava flow on the last day. the links were very informative. mahalo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom