AUE identifies wreck off Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
The Association of Underwater Explorers have identified a shipwreck resting in 220 feet of water off Islamorada as the steamer
Queen of Nassau, formerly the gunboat C.G.S. Canada. The Queen of Nassau sunk on July 2, 1926, while en route from Miami
to Tampa. At the time, she was owned by Barron Gift Collier, Sr., a prominent Florida businessman who was largely
responsible for the development of Southwest Florida.

Built in England in 1904, the Canada became the flagship of the Canadian Fisheries Protection Service. She was 200 feet long
and 25 feet wide, a miniature version of a naval cruiser. Stationed at Halifax, Nova Scotia, the primary responsibility of the
C.G.S. Canada was the protection of Canadian fishing interests in the northwest Atlantic, though she conducted numerous
other maritime duties. In 1911, she became the primary training ship for the newly-established Royal Canadian Navy (R.C.N.).
Many of the new officers trained on the Canada would go on to lead the R.C.N. in years to come. Eventually commissioned into
the R.C.N. in 1914, she served as a patrol vessel throughout World War I. Decommissioned in 1919, she returned to the
Fisheries Protection Service until her subsequent sale in 1924.

The Queen of Nassau was bought by Collier with the intention of employing her as an excursion steamer between Miami and
Nassau. However, the ship lacked sufficient passenger accommodations and soon lost favor with prospective customers. The
Queen of Nassau was anchored in Biscayne Bay and remained there for almost 18 months. It was reported that she was to be
sold to a Mexican company for use between New Orleans and Tampico. Representatives were to complete the transaction
upon her delivery to Tampa, where she would be placed in drydock and inspected. However, years of neglect had taken a toll
on the once-proud ship. The ship barely made headway and required constant repairs upon her departure from Miami on June
30, 1926. As she cruised slowly off Islamorada, she began flooding. Unable to keep up with the rising water, the ship was
eventually abandoned. The crew safely boarded a lifeboat and watched as the Queen of Nassau’s bow rose high in the air, and
then slipped beneath the surface as she sunk stern-first in 220 feet of water.

Resting in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, the wreck is intact and in remarkable condition. While the site is a
fairly well-known local fishing spot, the wreck has been visited infrequently by divers in the past due to the depth of the water.
However, recent advances in diving technology and mixed gasses have allowed technical divers to safely explore and document
the historical vessel.

Pictures of the Queen of Nassau (ex-C.G.S. Canada) can be viewed at: http://www.mikey.net/aue/islawrk.htm

The Association of Underwater Explorers is a coalition of divers dedicated to the research, exploration, documentation, and
preservation of submerged cultural resources.

Wow... neat, Mike!

I looked at the pics...the wreck is quite overgrown. How was identification made?

Inquiriing minds have to know! :wink:

~SubMariner~

Hi -
The wreck was identified through lots of research, following work on the site that documented its length, beam, and several diagnostic features. The ram bow and high length to beam ratio is very unique which allowed us to narrow our search. That type of construction fingerprinted the vessel to be military, or quasi-military. Then, after exhausting our leads we chanced upon a picture of the Canadian vessel. Lots more digging led us to the name Queen of Nassau, and then it was easy to find very detailed newspaper stories (it was front page news).
Cheers,
Mike

Mike:
Very interesting. Extremely informative write up and pictures. Thanks for sharing it all, with us.
:sunny:

Mike,

I have always enjoyed reading your trip reports and looking at the pics. I am glad that you have found your way here and hope you will stay around for a long time to come.

Thanks

ID

Yes, I was surprised to see the post here, after reading the post on the SUB-ARCH list. Glad to see you're on this board Mike!

Very informative Mike.
Hope to see more posts like this

Is anyone diving this wreck?

I know that Conch Republic has it listed on their tech page as a dive site and will do the dive if you have the proper certs and a minimum of 4 divers.

Since they are doing it, I suppose other shops in the area may too. Give Gary a call, I am sure he will have more info for you.

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS TECHNICAL DIVING

Holy ancient forum threads Batman! Nine years?!
Yes, I believe you can get a lift to the QON on a special tech charter with Conch Republic, Horizon Divers, Silent Word, Keys Mobile Diving, and perhaps others....
Cheers,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom