Twin Speeds for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zilch

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, after qualifying this year on our SSI O/W, the wife and I are off to Hurghada to do some diving in the red sea. I find when i used full foot on the course, my feet cut up (must be to tender :wink: and i had to plaster my feet on the 2nd day of diving. Seriously thinking of going for boots and ScubaPro twin speeds. I am hoping these will

1). help me improve my propulsion, found it to be hard work using full foot rigids in the currents of the whitsundays..not tame, there is a lot of water moving through sometimes
2). Being a skinny kind of person the split fin puts less strain on the legs, and i do get the odd cramp attack
3). It would be better to have my own set of fins that are suitable for me

Any feedback from from twinspeed users would be appreciated..75 of her majesty's pounds in the UK.. whats the general opinion of their suitability as a first fin buy

Cheers

Jim

Go for it!
You may also want to consider the Twin Jets.

i would second them, keep cramp at bay well for me, only downside is that during my drysuit training it was a lot harder to get out of on inversion with them compared to my old solid fins, bar that they are great.

Sid

The Kracken:
Go for it!
You may also want to consider the Twin Jets.

Good point, but for balance with my inexperience, thought the twin speed was a good point to start with.. (apart from being about 25 UK pounds cheaper :wink: . And then as i gain experience move on in terms of price and technology

Cheers

Jim

sidney:
i would second them, keep cramp at bay well for me, only downside is that during my drysuit training it was a lot harder to get out of on inversion with them compared to my old solid fins, bar that they are great.

Sid
Sid, thanks for that, hoping to avoid the Drysuit arena :wink: think i am going to be a blue water, 26 C degree type diver :wink:

Cheers

Jim

2 sets and 215 pound later :06:

Followed your advice and today purchased Twin speeds from the oxford dive centre along with Typhoon Surfmaster boots.. Pocket was lightened very quickly due to the wife buying a set as well. Very comfortable feel, but the lime colour i chose may require other divers to have polarised lenses in their masks :D..I am now going to find a local dive club to give them a try out in the pool..

Many thanks

Jim

I love my twin speeds. After 30 years diving with jet fins, I was willing to try something new. I first tried the Apollos and found them too floppy to give any strength or precision to my kicks. I then tried the Scubapro twin jets which I liked better. Then I borrowed some Scubapro Twin Speeds. I immediately sold my twin jets and bought the speeds. They are very stiff and offer both power and precision. In a high current dive in PNG I swam with one of the divemaster's who was wearing LONG paddle fins. We had to swim against the current from the mooring line over the edge of the reef where the current abated. We broke off the mooring line at the same time and I beat him over the edge and was hardly winded. Hmmm... good fins!

Allison, looks like i made the right choice..I have located a club locally and will be testing them out in the pool to make sure they and i are comfortable..next will be to
check them out open water in Egypt..

Cheers

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom