what about diving in Sicily, Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never been that far south but good reports from friends here...

Usual Google search will generate most data you need to know. Hope you have a good time..

Chris

hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I tried google already but I only get links to dive schools. I'm wondering what divers think about the dive locations itself. Hope anyone here dove there and can tell me more about it! Good to hear your friends had a good time there though!

I'm still looking for some "diving travel guide" for Europe. Do you have any good websites by any chance? The websites I've found so far are mostly focused on different parts of the world... I'd like to decide last minute where I'd like to go and then have a quick idea of the diving is good or not at the destinations I can choose from!

Perhaps I should ask this question in a different section here...

Ciao!

hi, I'm Italian but never been in Sicilia,sorry. I manage an Internet portal with a community from almost everywhere, if you tell me more I can ask directly them.
Are you gonna to Pantelleria, Lampedusa (islands) or to Sicilia great isle?

ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply!

I meant to go to Sicilia great isle. I found some websites myself through Google on the west coast of Sicilia, but I don't have a clue if this is the place to be for diving on the island, or if there are other places that divers would recommend...

watersprite

hi
would suggest pantelleria and lampedusa. two islands, not well known. diving is supposted to be excellent. life on islands very relaxed. best traveltime: mai to october

how to get there? flights from sicily. during sommertime also from milano (but not sure pls check)
connection between these islands? no idea

one of my to do locations.

last minute? how about red sea. pricewise cheeper?

or kind ob similar to those two islands: malta/gozo?
out of ch you can fly to malta fairly cheap

Hello there,
After I got the OW certificated I went on a nice sail cruise (friend’s boat) to Eolie Island where I did not dive and Ustica (where a plane was shot down about 25-30 years ago and we still do not know who responsible for, Italian secret service, CIA, FBI…).

This is a very nice place to dive. A big part of the island is a reserve where you can not fishing only diving
When there we did all by our self. We rent a small boat ask for nice spot and dive. We did Scoglio del Medico e Secca della Colombara plus another one I do not remember the name. We saw a bit of everything moray, barracudas grouper… (actually all you can see in the Mediterranean see). I suggest however to go with someone because they know exactly the nice spot where to go. On the Secca della colombara wi missed for example a cave.

He below web site is the one of the most know Diving center.
http://www.barracudaustica.com

English version not available but easy to understand to have some info

This one has English site where you can have some info you are looking for.
http://www.marenostrumdiving.it/homepage-ENG.htm

Ciao and enjoy the Italian dives

I had dove in Taormina two years ago. The facility was great and we checked out some old Roman columns that had gone down with a galleon that was transporting them. The food was 1st class and the people were very nice. I was vacationing in Malta when we decided to take a 3 hour catamaran trip up to Catania (in Sicily).

Like it's been described, Lampedusa is another great site for diving. There has to be a ferry as well as flights from Sicily.

Just to freak you out two years ago there was a new volcanic island that emerged between Lampedusa and Tunisia. This was last seen some 300 years before. It sounds like a fantastic place to dive. I don't know if it's still visible though.

Lawrence :dazzler1:

Thanks for all the suggestions, Swisstrav, Azotomix & Lawrence! I’m getting really excited about getting there!

Yes, I do decide last minute where exactly I will go on vacation. I’m airline staff and want to fly stand-by.
Sicilia is a place I would like to go though. I’m going with a friend who does not dive so I’m not sure if Malta or a place near the red sea is really an option. For non-divers it might be kind of boring.

Anyhow, it sounds like the small islands are worth checking out, will read some more on that! Thanks for the websites. That is very helpful! At least I now know where to start looking for more info!

Wish you all lots of diving fun too!

hey hello, I'm back again...

In the meantime I had some time to go through the websites that were posted here and I'm wondering if anyone of you has ever diven at the Egadi Islands? The other islands like Lampedusa might be too far to go to. I am afraid I can't do too many expensive things while travelling as I'm on a low budget... so I wonder if the Egadi islands are worth checking out?

thanks!

ws

Back
Top Bottom