Tobermory Recommendations sought...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I would like to begin planning a trip to Tobermory for the middle to the end of June 2002.

What operators/boats have you used?

What accomodations do you suggest?

Thanks,

C_C

Hi C_C,

This board does not have many divers from that region.

I have noticed some reviews/recommendations in the last couple of editions of the "Travelin' Diver's Chap Book" http://www.undercurrent.org/.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Contrary to what Doc thinks, there are a few of us Canucks lurking here. :wink:

Although I don't currently live in Ontario, I know a little something about Toby. Here are a couple of links that should be helpful:

This from Ontario Diver:

http://www.leftmind.net/~adb/ontdive/tobermory.html

Here's a link to Fathom Five Marine Park itself:

http://parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/parks/ontario/fathom_five/fathom_five_e.htm

BTW, for the definitive book on diving in Toby, take a look at Cris Kohl's "The Great Lakes Diving Guide". It's excellent!

Hope this helps,

~SubMariner~

A good site for general information about Tobermorey, as well as information about dive shops and operators:

Tobermorey Chamber of Commerce

and another decent site is:

Bruce County

and the best list of dive operators I'm aware of is:

Tobermorey Maritime Association

Nothing in Tobermorey is as slick and polished as might be expected at a tropical dive resort, but the people are terrific and so is the diving. I'll be on the Odyssey, myself, later this summer. If you're at all inclined towards camping, there are a small number of sites on Flower Pot island in the middle of the bay. Shore diving at its finest!

There's a shop in lower Michigan that goes there every year. You might want to give them a call. Sea the World Scuba 248-478-6400. Owner's name is Craig.

Check out this site too:

http://www.ddc.com/miunder/

good info.

Toby is a great place to dive with lots and lots of wrecks, some right off shore. We love to go there because the visibility is great for the Great Lakes. if you want to look at some Pictures of some of the wrecks hit the www button to be taken to my website, I have the Alice.G tug, Caroline Rose, Sweepstake, Wetmore wrecks listed with some pictures so you can get a rough Idea.
If you're diving with a wet suit, you might want to go a little later on in the year, ( end of July August), water can be cooold in June.
As far as dive operators I have never heard any complaints. The tiny little town sits right on Tobermory harbour so you can walk from dive shop to dive shop within a minute or two.

Hi C_C

I have went to Tobermory quite a few times and we have always used G&S watersports dive shop right there in the harbor. I did not go this past season and was trying as well to set up somthing me and my friends. I contacted Divers Den another charter operator next to G&S because they have better boats if you have a smaller group. there prices were very reasonable and you could set up the trip to do the wrecks that you wanted. Alot of people that I have talked to don't like the Tobermory lodge but they have rooms just away from the normal rooms that have kitchenetts. There prices were also not bad if you had a few people and were splitting the costs. There is alot of shore diving to do and alot that I have not yet done. I did do the anchor two years and it is pretty incredible. There is a wreck just to the west of it and the anchor is stuck right into the wall. Also the tugs in the harbor. There good dives to do for night dives. There is also the Princess hotel which we stayed at a couple of times and it is good. They have a room to put your gear in. If you have any more questions feel free to ask I would be glad to help in any way that I can as long as you don't ask for me to pay for the trip... Ha, Ha,

Jeff Great lakes diver.

Hey There!

Toby is a great place with diving to suit most levels as well as breathtaking scenery etc.

I have ben taking students there for many years as well as doing trips just for fun.

Two of the best trips I ever took were with Ray Davies on his liveaboard diveboat the Dawn Light, which is a great way to dive Toby as well as the wreck of Manatoulin island .

Rays website is www.tobermory.com and he is a great guy who does a really good job for his customers.

I agree that G&S watersports is a good shop and the most professional in town.

Have a good time

Brian Pallock
Dive Source Scuba
www.divesource.com:D

Hey Doc, as SubMariner there are number of us who either know of Tobermory or live in the area.....

C_C as Rooster1 said, June might be a tad cold --- if you are not prepared.

I've heard good comments about both Ray Davies and G&S Watersports.

As someone who has been diving in Tob regularly for over 25 years, I think it's one of the best freshwater dive areas in the world.

For charters, contact G+S Watersports (519 596-2200) or Diver's Den (519 596-2363) Both have decent web sites as well.

As others have said, the water in June is pretty cold once you get down a little (6" or so!) so be prepared with a good wetsuit, or drysuit and a cold water reg. Redundant supplies are always a good idea up here, since reg freeze ups are not uncommon.

I dove there this past weekend and the temperature was a balmy 36F - which is unusually warm and is the result of the lack of ice this past winter.

Not to put a damper on your plans, but you may read elsewhere that there was a fatality in Tob this past weekend. The victim was a TDI Instructor and a very experienced diver. While the cause has yet to be determined, cold water has been a factor in many of the accidents we'ver had here over the years.

Having said this, I've logged about 1500 dives up here and never get tired of it.

PM me if you want any details...

Stoo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom