Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delfos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - I wanted to know if there was any web site for IDing fish around? I caught what I'm pretty sure was a bar jack, but the fact that it had red meat, instead of white that jacks ussualy have, kind of put me off on the correct type of fish I'd gotten.
Plus the meat was EXCELENT... which also gets me into doubting if it was a Jack, cause everyone says they aren't good eating...

I've shot bar jacks and they are excellent grilled, taste exactly like Pacific Yellowtail. They have whitish meat. They are relatively streamlined and have very solid bodies, almost like false albacore (little tunny) which themselves have blood red meat. Average size is 5 lbs.The Jack Crevalle is broad and wide in the body, has reddish meat and has a strong flavor but is fairly good smoked or grilled. Looks like a Permit. Avg size is 15 lbs.

If you send a pic I will identify your fish.

Pesky

delfos:
Hi - I wanted to know if there was any web site for IDing fish around? I caught what I'm pretty sure was a bar jack, but the fact that it had red meat, instead of white that jacks ussualy have, kind of put me off on the correct type of fish I'd gotten.
Plus the meat was EXCELENT... which also gets me into doubting if it was a Jack, cause everyone says they aren't good eating...

Apparently it was a Almaco Jack.... have no clue now. The fish is already digested! But the meat was a light red, and it looked like the pictures I have for the bar jack... But what most surprised me was how good it was. Never expected that from any jacks.

The Almaco is a relative of the Amberjack and has white flesh. Maybe my memory is faulty and the Bar Jack actually does have red meat? The Bar Jack is a nondescript fish. It has no particular markings and looks very average with a small jack body shape. It is rather thick bodied and very solid to the touch. Grilled it tastes like Yellowtail, the only East Coast fish that tastes like that.
Pesky

delfos:
Apparently it was a Almaco Jack.... have no clue now. The fish is already digested! But the meat was a light red, and it looked like the pictures I have for the bar jack... But what most surprised me was how good it was. Never expected that from any jacks.

Delfos, I apologize. It's been six years since I fileted a Bar Jack but now I do seem to remember that the meat was reddish. For three years we had a good run over some wrecks off VA Beach and I shot several dozen. Normally, we look for Spanish Mackeral in those haunts but the jacks were in there in some number.

What were the circumstances when you speared yours? Tank or free diving? Depth, bottom obstruction, buoy?

pescador775:
The Almaco is a relative of the Amberjack and has white flesh. Maybe my memory is faulty and the Bar Jack actually does have red meat? The Bar Jack is a nondescript fish. It has no particular markings and looks very average with a small jack body shape. It is rather thick bodied and very solid to the touch. Grilled it tastes like Yellowtail, the only East Coast fish that tastes like that.
Pesky

I don't like fried amberjack, too sweet. However, the fish is delicious when grilled. Rub or soak (1/2 hr) filets with your favorite goop, mine is lemon juice, garlic, onion, dill, salt and a dash of Old Bay. Place the filets in a WEBER "smokey joe" grill fired with Kingsford mesquite charcoal. Fifteen minutes on each side, YUMMMM. IMO
Pesky

Roland_C:
AJ are great just about anyway you cook them!

Caught it scuba diving off of Jupiter FL. Ussualy catch either the smaller amberjacks, or the yellowtail, but this one was different. But it was GOOD eating. Seared it on a pan with butter and lemon like a tuna. Came out excelent.

Back
Top Bottom