So lets talk points

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windminstrel

Reaction score
I haven't started spearfishing yet, though I hope to soon. After reading through this forum I'm quite stoked.

When I look through my catalogues I see craploads of different types of spearpoints for fishing. Could someone give a breakdown on what they're all for?

Breakaway Arrowhead
ItemSmallPicA4371.jpg

Spinner arrowhead
ItemSmallPicA4367.jpg

Rockpoint
ItemSmallPicA4366.jpg

Paralyzer
ItemSmallPicA4377.jpg

Single barb
ItemSmallPicA4375.jpg

etc etc etc

Here goes...based on my limited knowledge....

Breakaway tip is for larger fish...by larger, I mean 20 lbs plus....

Paralyzer tip is for mostly pole spears, so it'll get the fish in more than one spot, where you're not shooting far - not very hydrodynamic....

Spinners, Rockpoints, and single barbs are all good for most spearfishing, particularly on reef fish...the spinner and rockpoints have a collar around them that can pin down the barbs against the shaft when removing the spear from the fish when using a line shaft (where shaft is attached to gun with a line)...then again, you could also hold down the single barb tip to accomplish removing the spear also, but sometimes hard to hold down while exiting the meat part of the fish (fingers follow spear through fish).

There's also a freeshaft - which is a single shaft without a "point" to screw on - it's attached to the spear permenantly...usually a single or double barb design. When fish is speared, you just pull it through in the same direction it went in the fish, as there's no line between the spear and the gun to get in the way....

nice write TropicalDiver! I was curious about these things myself :)

Windminstrel - I'm still an amature with giving fish headaches, so I'm still shooting with a line (so I can find my shaft if i miss! Rare, but it happens). Thus far its been all rock point shooting for me and I've had fairly good success with it.

What I'm wanting to learn a little more about now is bands. :)

The breakaway is mislabeled. It is actually what divers call a detachable spearhead. The detachable head slips into a socket and is attached with a short length of cable. When the fish pulls or spins the head detaches or spins or both. This prevents excess tearing and reduces the chance of the fish breaking free. Applies to virtually all fish over 10 pounds. This is the most effective head for the average spearo.

The spinner point is a modification of this principle. Although it doesn't detach it prevents a spinning fish from tearing a big hole and possibly unscrewing the head. Striped bass are notorious for this.

The rockpoint is available in detachable and non detachable. It features a hardened, conical tip. The name says it all.

The 'paralyzer' is a three prong used on pole spears. It was adapted from ancient designs used by Pacific islanders. The most effective type has small barbs (JBL).

The single wing is for small guns. Remove the fish by pushing the spear through and reversing out.

Not shown above is the slip tip, preferred by experienced free divers. It looks like a spike and is secured by a length of cable or line. Most of the good ones are hand made as the technology of these tips is deceptive.

Not shown is the breakaway, also called hinge point or break point. This type features a head held into a socket by means of a spring and/or short cable. When a really big fish fights the spear, the breakaway (Biller, Riffe) deflects or 'breaks' to the side and snaps back when side forces are reduced. Also, it can spin.

Oh, forgot to mention the 'arrowhead'. Spearos call this a tricut. It is a faceted or wedge shaped point and is extremely sharp. The rockpoint or conical head is more useful. Bear in mind that these points are interchangable with all the heads above, that is if the point is threaded as is usually the case. Many years ago, there was a true arrowhead available but was found to be too delicate for practical purposes. There is still one available from a manufacturer, I believe. It is thicker and blade shaped but not very popular.

Definitions: Point: the sharp tip of the head. Head: the spearhead less the socket. Wing: the thin metal foils which extend out from the head. Shank or stem: the long part of the head. Cable: runs from the head to socket. Socket: the head fits into the socket and the socket screws onto the spear. This head may be a detachable or fixed head. Collar: a small ring which clasps the wings. Tensioner: a small piece of rubber which fits into the stem and provides tension or spring force on the wings.

Points-There are two standard sizes of shaft threads that I am aware of, 6mm and 24”, and five basic kinds of points.

The paralyzer, thin multi-pronged points.

The single barb, like the name says it just has a single flopper to hold the fish on.

The double barbed, two floppers on opposing sides of the point give more security. The most positive holding general purpose point. Some versions of these are also known as spinner points. These are built so a spinning fish can't unscrew the point from the shaft.

The double barbed break-away, a double barbed point that has a socket that screws to the shaft. The butt of the point fits in the socket and the two are joined by a short length of cable. More positive hold than the double barbed because the fish can't use the shaft for leverage to pull against, but more complicated.

The break-away, or slip-tip, has a shaft that slips into the butt of the point and the two are joined by a short length of cable. The cable is attached in the middle of the point and when a fish is shot the point slips off the shaft and turns sideways, keeping it from pulling back through. The most positive, but most complicated point. Unnecessary for most spearingfishing. Primarily for bluewater hunting.

My personal favorite is the Hawaiian shaft. Which is simply a sharpened shaft with a single flopper pinned to it. Essentially a long single barbed.

Thread sizes are 6mm, 7mm, 5/16-24. Some older JBL used #12 screw thread.

SpearSlinger1:
Points-There are two standard sizes of shaft threads that I am aware of, 6mm and 24”, and five kinds of points.

The paralyzer, thin multi-pronged points.

The single barb, like the name says it just has a single flopper to hold the fish on.

The double barbed, two floppers on opposing sides of the point give more security. The most positive holding general purpose point.

The double barbed break-away, a double barbed point that has a socket that screws to the shaft. The butt of the point fits in the socket and the two are joined by a short length of cable. More positive hold than the double barbed because the fish can't use the shaft for leverage to pull against, but more complicated.

The break-away, or slip-tip, has a shaft that slips into the butt of the point and the two are joined by a short length of cable. The cable is attached in the middle of the point and when a fish is shot the point slips off the shaft and turns sideways, keeping it from pulling back through. The most positive, but most complicated point. Unnecessary for most spearingfishing. Primarily for bluewater hunting.

My personal favorite is the Hawaiian shaft. Which is simply a sharpened shaft with a single flopper pinned to it. Essentially a long single barbed.

The 6mm and the 24 are the most commonly used.

My favorite are 357. or .223cal powerheads. But I will only use one on big grouper and snapper. They(powerheads) are about as close as you can get to a for sure kill as long as you his the fish towards the head. Other than that I use breakaway mostly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom