dive op reco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwaver

Registered
Reaction score
Going to Kauai, Maui and Hawaai. Need dive shop recomendations for all 3 islands Please

This last trip report of mine should get you oriented. I'll be happy to attempt to answer any detailed questions that may arise from your reading:

"You will not find many sites with much nice coral off any of the Hawaiian Islands ala the Caribbean. Mostly only small patches of relatively colorless stuff. Also, sparse sponge or vegetation for the most part. Look for relatively cool water temps, like 77 plus/minus 2 degrees, and modest viz, like 40-80'. Marine life is another matter altogether. Varieties of butteryflyfish, triggerfish, surgeon/doctorfish, etc. far out number those found in the Caribbean. Also, lots of turtles.

The Big Island has a wide variety of topography & excellent diving of the Kona coast. It is my first choice. Neat manta ray night dive -- the one at the now closed Kona Surf used to be almost guaranteed, but longer so. Action now is a bit north to Eel Garden Cove. Some excellent shops, including Dive Makai, Sandwich Isle Divers, Aloha Divers & Jack's Diving Locker, although these draw experienced divers. Don't miss Volcanoes National Park, rain forest outside of Hilo, or the coffee plantations. Roy's on Big Island, too. Have drinks at the Mauna Lani, near the Ritz-Carlton. Kevin Costner stayed in one of the 4,000 sq.' villas with a Mercedes sedan and valet while filming "Waterworld" -- you'll know why it ran so much over budget. If you're seriously interested in the Big Island, purchase "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed": by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman .

For diving in general & shore diving in particular, check out web sites of Big Island Divers, Kona Coast Divers (but don't dive with this op) and Dick The Diver. Also do Phosphorescent Bay at night. Sharon's Place, Long Lava Tube, Hammerhead Point & Golden Arches also good. Be sure to do the "Toilet Bowl" -- really fun. . My favorite shore dive & an easy one is Place of Refuge you will nice coral here. Eat at Cafe Pesto, Donatoni's and La Bourgoyne. You won't be sorry.

Maui would be my 2nd choice. Depends really on where you are staying because Maui is like two islands: south side which has Kehei, Weilea, and Makena - with some good shore diving and located close enough to the Molokini preserve. Diving out of West Maui, meaning Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapalua, etc., usually indicates that the diving will be by boat and off to the island of Lanai, meaning Cathedrals #1 and #2, Monolith, Sergeant Major and even Turtle Haven. There is some shore diving that is available. Mike Severns has equipment and dives out of Kehei boat ramp and is the operation that has the greatest knowledge of Molokini - both he and his wife are biologists and have the definitive coffee table book. Out of Lahaina, the Mala Wharf, is Erik Stein's Extended Horizons and they also supply good equipment. Both of these are charters, and do not have stores. Lahaina Divers is a safe operation that caters to the walk-in trade and a good cattle boat op. Day trips to Lanai good, but Molokini Crater way over rated -- it's snorkel & scuba central & shows the wear & tear. Back side can be good, weather permitting, but is for experienced divers only due to depth, current & often rough surface conditions. Ed Robinson's also a very good dive op. On the north shore of Maui at Nakalele Point (where the lighthouse is) there is a wall which plummets over 120' straight down (might go more but that's as far as I've gone). I admit that it is a very tough climb down and then back up the lava cliffs, and that it is a very physical dive, but the wall is still there for the hardy (mountain-goat types). As to the coral situation, there are two very colorful areas with literally many (perhaps hundreds of) acres within easy shore diving distance. One is right along the road to Lahaina at Olawalu. The other is on the north side about 3 miles past Kapalua. It is a marine preserve called Honolua Bay. Purchase the small paperback for about $10, "Divers Guide to Maui." Eat at Roy's (creative pan-Asian cuisine & not inexpensive), Nicholina's, Sam Choy's, Longhi's (big splurge) & Stella's Blues Cafe (organic). If you're seriously interested in Maui, purchase "Maui Revealed" by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman .

My 3rd choice, Kauai, is prettiest of the islands, and has one of the best shops, Bubbles Below located in Port Arthur. Linda Marsh, co-owner & DM, is the most knowledgeable & enthusiastic marine biologist I have met. Great educational lectures during surface intervals. On one trip she pulled out a box of crab claws & demonstrated what the features of the claws told one about the life of the particular species. She knows where the rare stuff is, like boarfish & Hawaiian morwong. Los of turtles at Sheraton Caves & Sheraton Tunnels. Do the 3 tank dive trip to Niihau if you are an experienced diver & they are running it (long boat ride & very weather dependent)--several spectacular walls that go down well over 200'.

Don't miss the Na Pali coast (featured in opening scenes of sequel to sequel of "Jurassic Park," "Lost World") in the far north, dinner at Roy's & A Pacific Cafe (both expensive but unique & worth it; creative pan-Asian cuisine), and a drink at sunset at the Princeville Hotel (talk about "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous"). Northern coast is rainiest, southern coast (Poipu) is sunniest. Can stay in middle around Kapaa & do both. Outrigger Resort is quite nice for the price, although beach is just so so. Think about doing a helicopter tour of the island if the weather is good -- worth the cost. Nice golf courses at Princeville & Marriott resorts. If you're seriously interested in Kauai, purchase "Kauai Revealed" by Andrew Doughty & Harriett Friedman.

A distant 4th both in terms of topside & diving is Oahu. If you go, you'll want to read the feature piece in the Oct '02 issue of Undercurrent.

Take adequate thermal protection. To dive at high season with any of the ops I mentioned, book well in advance."

Enjoy your trip.

DocVikingo

can't comment on the all islands, but for big island try Kona coast divers- they do a package which gives you shore diving days too- definately do the manta dive-they let you dive again if you go and don't see any. I saw two 14 ft wingspans on my trip. And theres several nice shore diving spots- my fav being the place of refuge-tons of turtles and a great dive.

enjoy!

I can't comment on anything but Maui, but it is certainly a lot nicer than DocVikingo makes it sound!! :)

There is a reasonable amount of shore diving all along the west side of Maui (both "West Maui" and "South Maui" are really on the west shore... one's just South West, the other is due West and North West)

There is almost always a reasonable amount of wildlife to see just off the shore, and while there is certainly more rock than coral, it is still a nice time.

Also, Molokini is not that bad, if you get there early and are with a good dive op. I would strongly recommend Ed Robinson's (www.mauiscuba.com) for that -- small boats (two DM's with a max of six divers each).

I haven't done Lanai, but I've heard it's great when the conditions are good... during my trip in April/May, there was a horrid south swell that was just ending as I was leaving (May 3) bringing the vis down to ~20' or so, both off Lanai and off the South Maui shore, though Molokini still had the amazing 100'+ viz.

to rent gear and/or get instruction: Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei or Maui Diving Scuba Center in Lahaina, depending on where you're staying.

to go on boat dives: Ed Robinson's out of Kihei (personal 100% good experience), and I've heard B&B Scuba out of Kihei, Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons (both out of Lahaina) are good operations, too.

Bottom line, as long as you know what you're doing and do it safely, you probably can't go too wrong in Maui. :)

Molikini is a great spot IF the water is discolored. It's always clear out there. Other than that, it's just a so so dive. Most are into it for the boat ride I think. Many shore dives on the west side are far better. East side has a whole different feel to it. Awsome diving if the water is clear. Had a close encounter with a giant tiger shark for about 15 monutes there also....Don't miss Maui ocean center. You can dive the shark tank (no cage) for $200...
Big Isl is much better overall diving, Kona side. Scuba Shack Too, Big Isl Divers in Kona and Mona Kea Divers in Kawaihae but avoid Kohola divers. I have had gear rental problems and just plain rude service with them.

Let me know when your in town, I'll show you the hot spots I have found so far.

Wildcard:
Molikini is a great spot IF the water is discolored. It's always clear out there. Other than that, it's just a so so dive. Most are into it for the boat ride I think. Many shore dives on the west side are far better. East side has a whole different feel to it. Awsome diving if the water is clear. Had a close encounter with a giant tiger shark for about 15 monutes there also....Don't miss Maui ocean center. You can dive the shark tank (no cage) for $200...
Big Isl is much better overall diving, Kona side. Scuba Shack Too, Big Isl Divers in Kona and Mona Kea Divers in Kawaihae but avoid Kohola divers. I have had gear rental problems and just plain rude service with them.

Let me know when your in town, I'll show you the hot spots I have found so far.
Maui Ocean Center is great, especially on the day-before-flight surface interval. It's very easy to spend the whole day there. It is pricey at $20 per person, though.

The shark dive, according to the brochure is a 1-tank, 30-minute dive. You bring all your own gear and it costs $200. Sorry, but that's just a little too pricey for me -- you can do a couple two-tank boat dives for that price and be guaranteed to see some sort of shark. :)

If you dive off of Kona, you can't go wrong with Dive Makai. Check out my trip report. I was very pleased with their operation. If you want a shore dive on Hawaii, the National Historic Site, Pu'uhonau o Honaunau is a find dive. You may want a guide to find the best spot to enter and exit. If so, Mara of Mara's Dive is good for a first tour. Then dive the site on your own.

KrisB:
Maui Ocean Center is great, especially on the day-before-flight surface interval. It's very easy to spend the whole day there. It is pricey at $20 per person, though.

The shark dive, according to the brochure is a 1-tank, 30-minute dive. You bring all your own gear and it costs $200. Sorry, but that's just a little too pricey for me -- you can do a couple two-tank boat dives for that price and be guaranteed to see some sort of shark. :)

I think it's worth every penny. Sharks including a tiger, rays, 3000 fish total, up close and personall. I didn't get to do it while I was there so now I HAVE to go back to Maui to do it. Cripes, it's $200 bucks! Ive had bar bills that big and not rembered it.

Well, that's a little much for my budget. It'd be different if you either got to spend your whole tank (it's only a maxdepth of ~20 feet, and that's iff you're living on the bottom the whole time), but it's apparently limited to 30 minutes.

I also have no idea what sort of other divers are in the water, but judging from the one that was in the water with the sharks, I'm not sure I'd trust my life with her. Not only was she overweighted (significantly), but had neglected to hook up the quick inflator hose -- no biggie, except she was on FFM and couldn't do it manually (at least not without a bit of an issue).

Anyways... to each their own. I hope you enjoy it -- do let me know if it was indeed worth it, once you've had a chance!

I use B&B Scuba on Maui for every boat dive any longer. They are the first out of the Kihei ramp and you're usually just about done with your first dive before the second boat shows up. They always get first pick of the several dive spots out there. They seldom dive the crater as it's more of a snorkle (cattle boat) spot. 12 seat boat with 2-4 dive leaders. The backwall of molokini is a drift dive and they'll have one leader out in front and the other leaders will just follow along watching for difficulties. Great bunch of people.

Also great prices on tanks and rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom