Need Honolulu dive experience...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVillanueva

Reaction score
Hello

We will be in Hawaii for a two weeks: One week at the end of July in Honolulu (gotta love APA for picking the conference site!) and then the first week of August in Kona. My daughter and I are newly certified, and while we will have a few more dives under our belts before we get to Hawaii, we will have had no ocean experience. Since she is 12, we have depth limitations.

We are scheduled to dive with Jack's Diving Locker in August, but I would like to find a place to do a dive in Oahu/Honolulu for the 27th and /or the 30th. We need more of the individualized, training, teaching, gentle guidance set of dives, than the group sorta on your own but not really string along oooh and ahhh dives.

Any recommendations for a dive site or a dive shop or a dive charter in Honolulu (or one that comes and gets you at the hotel) would be appreciated.

Post here or email or PM me.

Thanks

Michael

Island Divers Hawaii 423-8222 or Sea in See (don't know the number). Just let them know what specifics you are looking for. Maybe justleesa can help you out also. Lots of good diving in Waikiki and around the Island.

MVillanueva:
Hello

We will be in Hawaii for a two weeks: One week at the end of July in Honolulu (gotta love APA for picking the conference site!) and then the first week of August in Kona. My daughter and I are newly certified, and while we will have a few more dives under our belts before we get to Hawaii, we will have had no ocean experience. Since she is 12, we have depth limitations.

We are scheduled to dive with Jack's Diving Locker in August, but I would like to find a place to do a dive in Oahu/Honolulu for the 27th and /or the 30th. We need more of the individualized, training, teaching, gentle guidance set of dives, than the group sorta on your own but not really string along oooh and ahhh dives.

Any recommendations for a dive site or a dive shop or a dive charter in Honolulu (or one that comes and gets you at the hotel) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

MVillanueva:
My daughter and I are newly certified, and while we will have a few more dives under our belts before we get to Hawaii, we will have had no ocean experience. Since she is 12, we have depth limitations.

Since you will be here right in the middle of summer, and your daughter has depth limitations, I recommend you take advantage of the diving on the North Shore, which is only diveable during the summer months.

The depth on any site rarely exceeds 45 feet, which will give you lots of bottom time. There are dive shops that offer guided shore dives (which will probably be cheaper than boat dives, too), but unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for those. A few years ago a Scuba Board member visited here and did a guided shore dive at Shark's Cove and really enjoyed it. I forget which shop she used - either Reef Trekkers or Deep Ecology.

While I prefer boat diving (because I'm inherently lazy :wink: ), most will do a deep dive first (80 - 100 feet). When I first got certified, I had an extremely hard time finding any operation that did two shallow boat dives - and I would never recommend the operation that I did eventually find.

MVillanueva:
Hello

Thanks

Michael

See you at the APA... there are a couple real good shops on this island. Aarons Dive Shop in Kailua or Oceanic in town are my picks. You'll have plenty to choose from on this leg of your trip, but check these one's to start with.

the North Shore is really starting to clean-up for some unbelivable diving right now. Summer is here. I would advise you begin with a shore dive at Sharks Cove to get a feel for whats around.

Thanks to all have responded, and to all those "PMs" -- the information and help from the people on this board is simply phenonemal. The signal to noise ratio is absolutely the lowest of any board I have ever participated. Wow.

Talk about finding the mother lode!

I am planning a trip to Hawaii in Feb. 2005, and have been researching information on diving in Hanauma Bay. If anyone has experience with diving there or information about it, please post a reply. I will be going on a beginners dive class.

hanauma bay- bring extra cash to ride the trolly (unless you like to walk up big hills in dive gear), there is a heck of a current in the cable channel on an outgoing tide (got stuck in it once and was kicking as hard as i could but going backwards), and do not leave valuables in the car.

Pass on Huanama Bay for diving... Snorkelling yes Diving no... There's lot's of other places that are much better, less crowded ect... Powerplant and Sharks Cove for example...

Try Sharks Cove... I forgot when the north shore calms down but the cove is a great place... lava tubes, turtles and lots of open sand for beginer skills.

if your planning on coming here in february forget shark's cove. the north shore doesn't calm down until may. electric beach may be doable depending on the current swell situation. however, the south shore is usually flat in the winter. you may want to book a guide for your shore dives, since they would know better given the current ocean conditions. any of the before mentioned operators would be great. just check out the other threads about oahu for dive ops.

another vote for island divers in Honolulu. I did my cert with them and was very pleased! Prices are reasonable and all the guides and instructors were very nice. I also did some dives just for fun with them as I lived there for 6 month...

As for dive sites:
There are a lot of nice wrecks (Sea tiger, Cors air etc.) right in front of Honolulu but they are 100ft+ so this does not seem the right stuff for you (or your daughter). There are a lot of shallower dives around there too (Turtle canyon, the Pipeline, Angler's reef) that are not that deep (and unfortunately not that spectacular but may be exactly the right thing for you). You will see turtles alomst all the time you dive around there which is nice thing.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom