bat rays being used as scallops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saintsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I read something about this subject in either this forum or spear board and cant find it again,anyone have any info on this or have tried it.

It can be done, you can use giant squid too.

take an inch thick fillet and use a small cookie cutter to cut out the circles, then lightly cook them the normal way you cook scallops. The only thing is you dont get the orange bit that is so tasty.

saintsfan:
I read something about this subject in either this forum or spear board and cant find it again,anyone have any info on this or have tried it.

Skates and rays are sold as 'SEA SCALLOPS'. They can be identified this way since the law requires it.

this is true, the texture is similar to scallops. I have eaten bat ray wings because of this story and they taste good, not as good as real scallops though. I take the bat rays with a bow and arrow modified for bowfishing or with regular line, although i know a spot in california that you could spear rays until you wear yourself out, I took 3 my last time but that was over 10 years ago

pescador775:
Skates and rays are sold as 'SEA SCALLOPS'. They can be identified this way since the law requires it.
The little ones are bay scallops and the big ones are sea scallops. There are real sea scallops, then there are fake "sea scallops" cut from skates or other fish.

The law certainly doesn't require labeling fake scallops as sea scallops, that's not a way to identify them. Quite the opposite, it's illegal or misrepresentation to do this, but it certainly happens. I'm sure some stores will do it, but I think it is more common for restaurants. Like if you get a big cheap plate of fried sea scallops somewhere ...

The practice of using rays or skates as scallops used to be fairly common. I would be surprised if that happens a lot today. However, I am sure it does happen.

I stand corrected. Apologies.

Damselfish:
The little ones are bay scallops and the big ones are sea scallops. There are real sea scallops, then there are fake "sea scallops" cut from skates or other fish.

The law certainly doesn't require labeling fake scallops as sea scallops, that's not a way to identify them. Quite the opposite, it's illegal or misrepresentation to do this, but it certainly happens. I'm sure some stores will do it, but I think it is more common for restaurants. Like if you get a big cheap plate of fried sea scallops somewhere ...

It does happen a lot. Former comm fishermen here. Most of the bottom trawlers bring up large quanities of skates that are all used for scallops. You have about an 80% chance of getting fakes. They are good, just not as good as the real thing. Bat rays on the other hand taste nothing like scallops. Dark reddish meat, more like catfish IMHO, and there is no commercial fishery for these....This is left coast info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom