Scubapro Classic Plus, Twin-Jet question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed reading it for a while. I am helping someone open a scuba resort shop here in Costa Rica, where I live (I'm from Colorado originally in case you were wondering), and he has chosen Scubapro. The SP rep. is trying to sell me personally on the Classic Plus BC-int.wghts. (reiterate; not for rental, for me). Are there any instructors, or anyone for that matter, that have experience using this? I believe it is a good BC as the rep. says, but I have my concerns about getting in and out of it easily w/o vertical buckles, and we do boat diving daily, and of course teaching the BC removal/replacement and the not-so-often Rescue class would be a concern as well. Of course I could use a rental BC while teaching class. The other piece of gear the rep. was trying to sell me on, again, personally, not for rental, were the Twin-Jet fins (full foot hi-viz yellow). I've read all the good things about split fins, but have my concerns about swimming in currents and teaching in them. I suppose the options would be the Glide Plus BC and one of their paddle fins. By the way, the rep. sold me on the MK25 w/ S550, he said it is a work horse, easy to maintain, and the Everflex wetsuit. I apologize for the long commentary, but also, regardless of being completely different, is the S-Tek even worth looking at? Any opinions? Thanks, Tim

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

Be sure to check out our gear forums...

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile, as suggested here: http://www.scubaboard.com/t60416.html I update mine after every trip.

:D

DandyDon:
Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile, as suggested here: http://www.scubaboard.com/t60416.html I update mine after every trip.

I hope this is where I reply! Should I retype this question in one of the other forums (instructor only or equipment)?? thanks

DandyDon:
Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!

don

I hope this is where I reply! Should I retype this question in one of the other forums (instructor only or equipment)?? 0h, I filled in the profile, thanks

timb:
Hello, I'm new to the forum but have enjoyed reading it for a while. I am helping someone open a scuba resort shop here in Costa Rica, where I live (I'm from Colorado originally in case you were wondering), and he has chosen Scubapro. The SP rep. is trying to sell me personally on the Classic Plus BC-int.wghts. (reiterate; not for rental, for me). Are there any instructors, or anyone for that matter, that have experience using this? I believe it is a good BC as the rep. says, but I have my concerns about getting in and out of it easily w/o vertical buckles, and we do boat diving daily, and of course teaching the BC removal/replacement and the not-so-often Rescue class would be a concern as well. Of course I could use a rental BC while teaching class. The other piece of gear the rep. was trying to sell me on, again, personally, not for rental, were the Twin-Jet fins (full foot hi-viz yellow). I've read all the good things about split fins, but have my concerns about swimming in currents and teaching in them. I suppose the options would be the Glide Plus BC and one of their paddle fins. By the way, the rep. sold me on the MK25 w/ S550, he said it is a work horse, easy to maintain, and the Everflex wetsuit. I apologize for the long commentary, but also, regardless of being completely different, is the S-Tek even worth looking at? Any opinions? Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim,

I personally have the Scubapro Twin Jet Split Fins and I absolutely LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!! I do alot of beach and boat diving, working with students, and have had no problems. They are definitely the best investment I have made. BTW, mine are black, I am unaware of yellow twin jets??? Are they new?

Regards,

Jan in Sunny California

The Classis Plus is weight integrated which is a PITA, IMHO. It also is bulky and far from streamlined. A much better BC is the Classic Sport. It is not weight integrated and doesn't have the padding and cummerbund that merely add drag. BTW, the quick release at the shoulder of BC's were first introduced to avoid patent infringement. I don't want the extra failure point.

Forget the Twin Jets and get the Jets. You'll get much better performance. I tried the Twin Jets a couple of times. They don't let you swim backwards, they are a poor choice to do a frog kick. They're ok with dolphin and flutter, but even with those kicks, Jets are superior. You'll never have concerns with your fins being able to handle current.

I too have the twin jets, blue. Great fin and no problems with students as a matter of fact it is a bit easier for me because the ability to use the fins as a directional movement rudder. Short flutter kicks and your to the right or left. Longer kicks for good fast movement. Students can never "lose you" unless you have sold a pair durring class. Small tip as for the colors all postive(float) except for the BLACK!
High Vis Yellow is nice for students, they can find you quick.

For the weight system, you can get around this by having a standard weight belt and as far as standards for PADI go it does not require weights just the belt for demonstrations

Timb,

My wife and I both bought the Twin-Jet Hi-Viz yellow fins. Everybody always comments on how easy they are to pick out underwater. They are exteremely easy to swim in and require very little effort. I love 'em.

Here's a picture of the available colors, but the picture doesn't do the yellow justice. There's a reason they're called "Hi-viz yellow"...

Thank you everyone! (still open to comments too)

Walter, I researched the Classic Sport after seeing your reply and I may just switch to that system and a nice neoprene belt. Do you own that jacket? If so, do you have problems with things falling out of the pockets since they have no zipper (I'm tired of losing knives, small flashlights...)? Is it comfortable to wear with a belt? Do you confuse the very similar waist strap/buckle with your weight belt? And, this isn't meant to sound like a silly fashion question, but would you recommend that BC with yellow accents for higher viz, or do you think the only yellow "thing" on or around your BC should be the octo.? As for the Jets, I would certainly consider them but since I am diving in tropical water I was going for the full foot, and the hi-viz yellow should help students, as well as clients on fun dives, keep track (mediocre viz here). However, I will pick up a pair with boots sometime in the future anyway.

Jan, they must be newer than the black if they weren't available when you purchased. I admit, I wouldn't be chosing the yellow as a fun diver, since they are less stiff/more flexible, and they float as John said, but I really need the color here.

By the way MtnDiver, what part of Colorado? I am a native, grew up in Littleton, and then I lived in Capital Hill for quite a while.

thanks,
Tim

timb:
By the way MtnDiver, what part of Colorado?

Colorado Springs. Just an airplane ride away from some really good diving. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom