Abalone recipes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
I went ab diving last weekend, limited out as usual and even got a little fish i speared, I ate one of the abs but am not sure about what i should do with the others. I did the whole bread and fry thing as usual, but i want some other interesting lighter recipes. got any? Wanna help me eat them?

Well, I believe that the best way is to eat them raw. Anything else is a waste of good abalone. :D

But this requires that it be alive and fresh at the time you prepare it.

FRESH abalone! I'd love to try them, but NO way to get them here in FL...what are they most similar to? Scallops? Oysters? Or is there anything else close?

The "Joy of Cooking" cookbook (It's not mine, so start stereotyping - LOL :) ) states that its like squid or conch...so I'd check recipes for seviche, cracked conch, fritters, pan-grilling w/very little oil, broiled/grilled, or in a tomato-based/marinara-variation (served with rice/pasta/bread). Happy EATING!!! :D

Makes me think back to the days in SoCal when I could watch an abalone grow for 2-3 years before taking it. There were so many that we used to get tired of eating them. The same with lobster.

Now I see one occasionally in the Dive Park or elsewhere and it is a "big" event. Great chance to videotape and think back when. A local restaurant (El Galleon) just started serving two small farm-raised abs and steak for $45.

Doc

I vote for the macadamia crusted version. :D
Ab is very similar to conch, & it makes great chowder, even if all you use is the trimmings.
For some good recipes, see: http://diver.net/seahunt/d_recipe.htm

sitka has all the good seafood, last time we were there we were with a local guy that had prawn traps out, he would bring us buckets of prawns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom