Fins vs. Knee Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alix

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wanted some input on a good fin type for a newbie diver w/ knee problems.

I've had some major patella damage to both knees followed by some surgeries. My muscles are coming back, but not 100% yet.

I've been told to look for a flexible fin, maybe even a split that will take some of the work away from your legs.

LDS has a pair of Aeris Velocity that they think would be good.
They seem like they would be fine...anyone have experience with them?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alix

I have the Aeris Velocity and it's not really a split fin. During my AOW class, my instructor swapped his split fins (don't know the brand) with mine 'cause he wanted to try them and I was fine with that so I could try out his splits. There is a noticible difference between the flexible, "semi-split" Velocity fins and a true split fin. I didn't swim around with them enough to give you a full review, but they definitely felt like the splits offered less resistance to my kicks (plain ol' flutter) and would probably be better for your knees than the Velocity. We had previously traded fins in the pool (OW class), but there just isn't enough room/depth to really try them out in a pool. If you can try some in a true OW environment, you'll probably get a better feel.

-Rob

(Note: I don't have any experience with completely non-split fins, so their may be just as much, if not more, difference from non-split=>Velocity as there is from Velocity=>split.)

Alix, I've had three rebuilds on two knees and still have metal in one ankle.

Right now I use Quattros for general, recreational diving; Power Plana Graphites (JetFin equivalent) for photography and deco; and 85 cm Dessaults for freediving. Although these aren't as "easy kicking" as splits, I have no problems with my knees.

Granted, I did rehab with a vengance. Still, don't buy a particular type fin on a supposition; there has to be a dive shop somewhere nearby with a pool that you can try out a couple of fin types in. Everybody has a different technique, and different legs and muscles. I'm sure you can find the right fin for you.

I was surprised at how small of a difference the knee injuries have had, actually no difference really.

All the best, James

Of the all the fins out there, the Apollo Bio Fins have rated top speed and top efficiency over and over. And made from rubber, they are very flexible and the easiest to kick.

Alix:
Hey All,

Just wanted some input on a good fin type for a newbie diver w/ knee problems.

I've had some major patella damage to both knees followed by some surgeries. My muscles are coming back, but not 100% yet.

I've been told to look for a flexible fin, maybe even a split that will take some of the work away from your legs.

LDS has a pair of Aeris Velocity that they think would be good.
They seem like they would be fine...anyone have experience with them?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alix
Hi I have a bad ankle from a industrial injury some years ago, ankle functions fine but has a swelling problem after long time standing or walking a pain but nothing serious I think.
I used Apollo bio fins for many years found them to be very very good but now use force fins pro with bungee heels as I work for a store who is competition with the Apollo dealer and have just got a new pr of extra force fins, used them once this past Friday but will be using them a lot over the next few weeks, so far so good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom