Diving Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Next month we take off a little trans Pacific sojourn. One of our stops is Kona for a week and a half. We have nnever dived there and have read some good things about the Sandwich Island Divers. Be sides the great name, they seem to offer a nice diving format. Any one out there ever dived with them? Or another dive shop at Kona?

Anything special we need to be sure to do?

Thanks,

Joewr

Hey Joe,
Somehow I missed your post on this until now. If you haven't left yet check out Kona Coast divers. They are a 5 Star IDC Operator. You can call them at 1 800 Koa Dive. Or check out http://Konacoastdivers.com
Where else are you going in the Pacific?
:sunny:

Sorry this is probably too late for your trip Joewr, but I thought I'd post for others that might wonder in here.

We dove with Jack's http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com last year, and will again in April. My wife did finished her OW cert with them (she didn't care for the Alaska waters in Feb.) And our daughter did a discover scuba there.

Both our kids are signed up for OW class there this year, so we'll report on how that goes when we get back.

Our feeling of Jack's was that it felt like family. It is a rather family business, and you are treated that way. The DM's provided excellent briefs, the gear was in great shape and they would always ask the group where you had been diving, and suggest other spots if you wanted to try someplace new.

This year's Rodales voted Eco Divers #1 in Kona, and Jack's #2. I can't comment on Eco, but Jack's gets a LOT of repeat customers. I'll be one of them.

Hi joewr,

My last trip report:

"You will not find much nice coral off any of the Hawaiian Islands ala the Caribbean. Only small patches of relatively colorless stuff. Also, meager sponges & vegetation. Look for relatively cool water temps, like 77 plus/minus 2 degrees, and modest viz, like 40-80'. Marine life is another matter altogether. Varieties of butteryflyfish, triggerfish, surgeon/doctorfish, etc. far out number those found in the Caribbean. Also, lots of turtles.

If this is your first dive trip to Hawaii you might want to read "Hawaii Below" by Rod Canham ISBN 0-922769-21-4. It is a pretty good book covering all the islands and most of their dive sites, another good book is "Shore Fishes of Hawaii" by John E. Randall ISBN 0-939560-22-4. You'll probably need to secure these through an out of print service.

The Big Island has a wide variety of topography & excellent diving of the Kona coast. It is my first choice among the islands. Neat manta ray night dive. Used to be guaranteed ourt in front of teh old Kona Surf Hotel (now closed), but the action now seems to be centered a bit north, around eel Garden Cove. Four excellent shops, Dive Makai, Sandwich Island EcoAdventures & Jack's Diving Locker. Also do Phosphorescent Bay at night. Sharon's Place, Long Lava Tube, Hammerhead Point & Golden Arches also good. Can do shark cage dive with Hawaiian Divers. My favorite shore dive & an easy one is Place of Refuge you will nice coral here. If diving with EcoAdventures, be sure to do the "Toilet Bowl" -- really fun.

Don't miss Volcanoes National Park, rain forest outside of Hilo, or the coffee plantations. Have drinks at the Mauna Lani, near the Orchid (old Ritz-Carlton). Kevin Costner stayed in one of the 4,000 sq.' villas with a Mercedes sedan and valet while filming "Waterworld" -- you'll know why it ran so much over budget. For diving in general & shore diving in particular, check out web sites of Big Island Divers, Kona Coast Divers (don't recommend them for diving, however) and Dick The Diver. For food, Roy's (Roy Yamaguchi) creative pan-Asian is hard to beat. Also eat at Cafe Pesto, Donatoni's and La Bourgoyne. You won't be sorry."

Have a blast.

DocVikingo

My thanks to you guys--as usual the mysterious Vikingo has a nice summary from which I am sure to benefit! And "Born to Dive" Natasha is more than helpful. We are leaving in about a week and a half and cannot change too many plans, but I will check out the other dive shops.

We have dived Maui, but not Kona, and, thus, are looking forward to the experience. It is a jumping off place for a more adventurous trip to Micronesia, but we decided to stop off in Kona because we liked Maui two years ago. In fact, we are also stopping Maui to dive with Robinson's, a really first class outfit. They depart Kihei at 6:30 am in order to get farther away from the more populous dive sites, a good idea.

At any rate, I will report on Kona when we return--and, again thanks for the info: I am certain it will be a big help. Rest assured that I will give the good Viking Dr.'s gourment tips a try!

Aloha....

LoL Joe! Have fun. Eat some papaya for me! I love that stuff.
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom