Dry Tortugas Rules Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geodaro

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning an overnight diving/fishing trip to the Dry Tortugas from Key West aboard a private fishing vessel. We intend to fish both inside and outside the National Park boundaries on the first day and night, and spearfish outside the park boundaries on the second day prior to returning to Key West. These are the rules that I was able to obtain form the NPS website (among other sources):

1. Spearfishing is NOT allowed inside the park boundaries.
2. If speared fish (or lobster) are brought inside the park boundaries from other areas, you cannot enter the water from your boat and may only swim at the disignated beach.
3. All other state fisheries laws are in affect, including size limits and bag limits.
4. No lobster or conch can be harvested inside the park boundaries.

Now, can anybody answer these questions?

1. Can you have a speargun on your boat within park boundaries if it is unloaded and properly stowed?
2. Can you clean and eat any fish that are legally caught on hook and line while anchored near Ft. Jefferson (inside the park boundaries), or must all fish be brought back to Key West intact?
3. Can legally speared fish (from outside park boundary) be brought into the parks anchorage and eaten for dinner (if we don't swim)?

These may be stupid questions but I would rather get the info. now rather than getting caught doing the wrong thing!

Thanks in advance for any information!

Those are not stupid questions. I haven't been to Tortugas since the rules were tightened. However, I doubt that your boat will be searched. Keep guns out of sight when in port. I would be interested in the answers also.

geodaro:
I am planning an overnight diving/fishing trip to the Dry Tortugas from Key West aboard a private fishing vessel. We intend to fish both inside and outside the National Park boundaries on the first day and night, and spearfish outside the park boundaries on the second day prior to returning to Key West. These are the rules that I was able to obtain form the NPS website (among other sources):

2. If speared fish (or lobster) are brought inside the park boundaries from other areas, you cannot enter the water from your boat and may only swim at the disignated beach.
3. All other state fisheries laws are in affect, including size limits and bag limits.

1. Can you have a speargun on your boat within park boundaries if it is unloaded and properly stowed?
2. Can you clean and eat any fish that are legally caught on hook and line while anchored near Ft. Jefferson (inside the park boundaries), or must all fish be brought back to Key West intact?
3. Can legally speared fish (from outside park boundary) be brought into the parks anchorage and eaten for dinner (if we don't swim)?

These may be stupid questions but I would rather get the info. now rather than getting caught doing the wrong thing!

geodaro:

Question 1: yes.
Question 2: yes, but, there might be a problem if you dump the carcasses overboard. I know that commercial fishermen, while they are allowed to anchor in the park, are not allowed to dump fish guts, carcasses, etc. overboard.
Question 3: yes.

I would be willing to bet that once you anchor at the Fort, it won't be long before a ranger motors up to have a friendly chat about park rules. They are especially picky about MSD's. You had better have a holding tank.

Also, before you fish or spearfish outside of the park, be sure that you have a current chart and a list of the areas of the FKNMR which are off limits to fishing.

Back
Top Bottom