Bug Dive Sites in Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I am new to the board, so please excuse me if the following question is one of those off limits one. I just began diving off the north shore of Boston and was amazed by the life. Now I am set on grabbing enough bugs for a big lobster dinner. What are the best sites that people go to north (or other) of Boston? We did old garden beach and it was pretty good, but I don't think we were deep enough for the best ones-- we were only 30 feet.

Also can you spear flounder or do you need a different permit?

Thx!

You might get more info with a post in the New England Lobster Divers forum, but I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

The best sites are the ones with fewer divers, so you might want to try places where parking is difficult, like Loblolly cove.
Boat dives are generally your best bet.

Needless to say, you need to have a permit, end the dive between a half hour before and a half hour after sunset, and make sure the lobsters are legal size.

You can spearfish without a permit, but that's subject to other regulations depending on the species (no spearing striped bass is a big one). Flounder are legal as follows:

(2) Minimum Size Limits. The following minimum size limits shall apply to the catching, harvesting, landing or possession by any person of any winter flounder, fluke, dabs and gray sole.
(a) Winter Flounder: 12 inches in total length.
(b) Fluke (Summer Flounder): 14 inches in total length for commercial fishermen and 16 1/2 inches in total length for recreational fishermen.
(c) Dabs: 14 inches in total length.
(d) Gray Sole: 14 inches in total length.
(e) Windowpane Flounder: 12 inches in total length.
(from separate regulation) Yellowtail Flounder: 13 inches.

(3) Prohibitions. It is unlawful to harvest, catch. take, have on board any vessel, have in possession or land any:
(a) Winter Flounder less than 12 inches in total length.
(b) Fluke (Summer Flounder) less than 14 inches in total length for commercial fishermen and 16 1/2 inches in length for recreational fishermen.
(c) Dabs less than 14 inches in total length.
(d) Gray Sole less than 14 inches in total length.
(e) Windowpane Flounder less than 12 inches in total length.

(4) Penalties. Violation of any provision of 322 CMR 6.09 shall result in:
(a) a fine of not less than 50 nor more than $ 1,000;
(b) suspension or revocation of the commercial fisherman's permit;
(c) forfeiture of all fish unlawfully possessed;
(d) forfeiture of boats and/or fishing equipment (including dive gear); or
(e) any combination of 322 CMR 6.09(4)(a) through (d).

Method of Measurement
(a) Minimum Size. The minimum sizes established in 322 CMR 6.03(2) shall be determined by the greatest straight line length in inches as measured on a fish with its mouth closed from the anterior most tip of the haw or snout to the farthest extremity of the tail. For fish with forked tails, the upper and lower fork may be squeezed together to measure the tail extremity.

If you need help with species identification, here's a little guide I scribbled out:
Flounder.jpg

Matt,

Thanks that is helpful. I'll post there as well. I do have a gague, bag and license already. Just want more use out of them! :wink: I'll take a look at the flounder stuff, sounds more difficult-- plus need to buy a spear. But I'm game.

Thx,
Seth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom