Apollo Bio Pro / Marking Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tearless Tom

Reaction score
Went over to Panama City Beach over the 4th Holidays. This was my first chance to try my new Apollo Bio Pro fins.

All I have to say is WOW!!!

I was amazed at how good these fins are. Fast and manuverable.

No Regrets here!

Anyone else using these?

I almost forgot to ask my question.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use to put your name or an I.D. mark on rubber fins?

I have those as well. Bought two pair for me and my kid. They are quite good. They seem dependent on the type of leg stroke you use... still, they are wonderful!

You can use a paint pen if your goal is merely to identify them (write name, do a simple design, etc.). This becomes tedious if you want to apply much paint. I wanted lots of color to make it easier for my buddies to see me in the often limited-vis of So. Cal shore dives.

I eventually painted much of the bottoms of my fins with bright yellow latex paint, following the reverse-out designs on the Bio fins (it was a pain taping off the designs!). I searched for a paint that works specifically with rubber, but couldn't find any. I've done about 40 dives with them after painting them and, while the paint is beginning to peel and crack, I got a comment just yesterday about how easy it was to spot me u/w.

Thinking all split fins were created equal I got a pair of TUSA Zoom fins, because they have the built-in yellow plastic that makes them so visible ... they were so stiff in comparison to the Bio fins that I gave them away for $25 to a friend!

You'll think I'm crazy, but....

I put yellow strips on with yellow heavy-duty electrical tape and then baken it on in the oven. LOL! VERY CAREFULLY -- ON LOW HEAT -- WITH THE DOOR OPEN -- STANDING THERE WATCHING IT. It just took a few seconds (20?) to heat the rubber enought that the glue sticks well on the rubber and there was no damaging the fins. It seems to hold well and looks like OEM yellow stripes. BE CAREFULL!

Now that is different. Especially the baking part.
I marked them with a paint pen just to I.D. them on the boat or in case of the lost luggage thing.

I like the tape idea. I wonder where to find a floresant type reflective type tape.

I have just used the Paint Pen on both of my pairs of Apollo Bio Fins. It eventually starts to wear off, so I will need to touch it up soon.

Note that a key for the Bio Fins is that they work best if you kick bending your knees, rather than flexing from the hips. Try it both ways and you will see. Much easier on my body.

Also note that Bio Fins seem to not work as well real close to the surface.

Wristshot

I agree that the BioFins don't seem to work well on the surface. We went snorkling while in Jamaica and it seemed like I needed to be underwater more to get them working well.

I put the stripes on the top of the fins only as a test. I am afraid that using tape on the bottom might not hold from abrasion. I used the broiler setting and had the fins down low with the oven door open. I kept testing the fin temp with my hand so it wouldn't get too hot, just hot enough to heat the glue so it would adhere to the fins.

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk. Baking fins is not endorsed or recommended by the manufacturer. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. Consult a doctor before changing your dosage. Not recommended for women who are or may be pregnant or are currently nursing a baby. Actual experience may vary. If you experience symptons such as buring, tingling, discomfort, pain, throbbing, aching, or numbness, see a qualified physician immediately. In testing, others experienced mild side effects such as cramps, headache, dry mouth, and slight dizziness. Tax, title, & license extra. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk. Baking fins is not endorsed or recommended by the manufacturer. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. Consult a doctor before changing your dosage. Not recommended for women who are or may be pregnant or are currently nursing a baby. Actual experience may vary. If you experience symptons such as buring, tingling, discomfort, pain, throbbing, aching, or numbness, see a qualified physician immediately. In testing, others experienced mild side effects such as cramps, headache, dry mouth, and slight dizziness. Tax, title, & license extra. :wink:

Too Funny...

Actually I was thinking of marking them Green on the Right side rail and Red on the Left side rail to mark Port and Starboard so my fellow divers will know who has the right of way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom