CoCo View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nkimpel

New
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Roatan for the summer months and would REALLY like to go to CoCoView but they are booked for the week I want (july 13-20). Does anyone know how the weather is at the end of June or early August?

And thank you all for the great comments, I was going to book another resort but with all the rave for CoCoView I stuck with my original decision. Appreciate all the help!!!

:D

I've been in August. My memory of topside was that there were a few more no-see-ums, but cactus juice kept them off. It was hot, of course. If you go in August, you might get to see the coral spawning. Supposed to be really neat.

I'm going next week - 9th trip. So, here's one more who thinks you've made the right choice.

Good decision....CoCo View is well worth waiting for! I leave in 5 weeks for our 4th trip.

My trips to CCV have been in Oct (rainy season, never again!) March and April. I would think the only difference would be the heat. The no-seeums have a 2 week hatching cycle (I think) so they will vary. Cactus Juice Eco-Spray has worked the best for me. Click here for the link. They say the no-seeums like the salt on your skin and are worse in the late afternoons. I make sure to shower off after diving! The Cactus Juice spray is so easy to use that I don't dread it. It has a nice scent and is not greasy (like the Off™ stuff with DEET) so I find I use it more often than the cream.

Don't let the possibility of bugs keep you from going...You're going to be a CCV convert like the rest of us!

Hey Lakesdiver....I'll be a CoCo Nut next year! :wink:

Dee,

I am thinking of Roatan for April. Since you have been there at that time,maybe you can share. What are sea conditions like, is there a time of year that is too rough to dive? How is the weather in April?

Thanks
mike

It really isn't that bad in August. I have been down to Roatan for the past few Augusts and never felt uncomfortable, even in the AKR casitas that don't have air conditioning. I would concur with Dee re avoiding rainy season of late September, October, and early November - it is just too unpredictable and, overall, too much rain!

Can't get into CoCoView? Thought about AKR? The west end location gives you good chance of a whale shark encounter in August, when they tend to pass between Roatan and Utila!

After countless trips to the Bay Islands, I am wondering if the no-see-um issue isn't which bug repellant (Catcus Juice, Skin-So-Soft, Deep Woods, or some DEET concentration), but rather a combination of:
1. Individual differences in body chemistry/scent (many times I've seen two people can use identical lotions and one person gets nailed while the other has no problems; or even more aggravating, the person drowning in DEET gets nailed while a person who doesn't bother with anything gets off without a bite).
2. Compulsiveness in lotion application.
3. IgE/allergic response (two people both get bit, but only one explodes with the red welts).
Don't be daunted by the no-see-ums. The no-see-ums and the pursuit of the perfect repellant are just another social lubricant in meeting other diving enthusiasts sharing the beauty of the Bay Islands.

Originally posted by Dee
Hey Lakesdiver....I'll be a CoCo Nut next year! :wink:

Awwrriiigghhhtt! I'm sure you'll look great in that new CoCo Nut hat!

BTW, I've heard a rumor that Lauray is leaving. Moving to Hawaii. Will confirm that for you when I get back. Wonder who'll run the crab races?

My wife and I were recently at Co Co View. Does anyone know "Rusty" who celebrated his tenth visit this year? I know he is going back in April. Nice guy.

Lauray and Willie are our favorite Co Co View staff members. That is too bad if Lauray is leaving as she brought a lot of professionalism and enthusiasm to the resort.

My wife and I went in September. We used the same bug stuff (DEET and / or Cactus Juice) and I was fine but she had a lot of bites. The only bad part about Co Co View for us was not having access to town. We really enjoyed our day trip to the west end.

Originally posted by mlove
Dee,

I am thinking of Roatan for April. Since you have been there at that time,maybe you can share. What are sea conditions like, is there a time of year that is too rough to dive? How is the weather in April?

Thanks
mike
Sorry...I missed seeing you question...

March and April are really nice. There is the possibility of some rougher seas on the south side in March. That's not a problem at CCV because of the shore diving. In fact, last year I think we only went out on the boat 2 days, by choice, the rest of the time we hit the walls and shipwreck every dive. There's alot to say for being the only 2 people on the wall...way cool!

April is pretty consistant with calmer seas and warm weather. I think you'll be satisfied with April...

I heard Lauray was considering a move but haven't heard it was a done deal. I'll really miss her. Man, if there was ANYTHING you wanted to do she would get it arranged for you. I can't imagine CCV without her...:(

Back
Top Bottom