Marmora diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

earlj

Reaction score
Looking for Butch 103 - Can you tell me where you dive around Marmora. I'm looking to get wet in that area in the coming months. I have a 7 mil and don't mind not being dry.

I know he dives the lake, and the falls near by. I'm sure the rest of the gang in the area will soon pipe up.

Hi Earlj,

Shore diving available below dam in town, Butch lives on the water and has access to dive in Crowe Lake. See www.marmora.org, the hit the Municipal Info tab for Location and Maps. PM me if you like.

Dave

bottom_sucker:
Hi Earlj,

Shore diving available below dam in town, Butch lives on the water and has access to dive in Crowe Lake. See www.marmora.org, the hit the Municipal Info tab for Location and Maps. PM me if you like.

Dave

I have dived below the dam on one previous occation.
Perhapps the conditions were not typical.
It was dark, (I mean black) about 2- 3 ft visibility, muck bottom. Not much to see.
I would not return

Mike D

I dive the dam all the time. It was really dark last weekend but most of the time it is a nice drift dive. Granted if they shut down the gates there isn't much of a current. If you are interested to come out with me and OD drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number and we can talk. We are going out for a quick dive this weekend.

Mike,
You experienced a non-typical condition. Vis usually 10 - 15 feet plus depending upon algae growth and other particulate in water. Best time to dive is late morning to early afternoon because river runs to south and west bank is high and tree covered. This means in later afternoon, the area becomes largely shaded.

I have dove there (back in the day) and experienced the 2 - 3 foot viz as well.

West edge is layered limestone, there's lots of rock structure at base of dam spillways which are great attractors for fish, you may see some good sized crayfish as well. Interesting spot for night dive as well because more of the bigger fish show up then.

Not rushing to defend, just hopefully adding to knowledge base. :)

Dave

cobaltbabe:
The fish are very friendly too. I played with one for about 10 minutes one day.
I saw that same fish a week later, he was still smiling!!!!
:eyebrow:

bottom_sucker:
I saw that same fish a week later, he was still smiling!!!!
:eyebrow:

He wasn't smiling when I grabbed him. It actually turned into a little game. Then when we came out of the water there was this little 4 year old girl standing there. Matt came out of the water very slowly and I swear she thought he was the monster from the black lagoon. She was really scared, then I come out laughing my head off. The poor child didn't know what to do. Her mother was trying to comfort her but her eyes were so big.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom