Oregon divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coastkid

Reaction score
How many Oregon divers out there?
Where have you been diving and whats the best?
Can we dive crater lake? Wouldnt that be something?
Let me know. Thanks
Jer

You might try hitting the Pacific Northwest Orca Bait at the bottom of the list of forums after the travel section under the CLUB section. That is were the Oregon divers hang out.

coastkid:
How many Oregon divers out there?
Where have you been diving and whats the best?
Can we dive crater lake? Wouldnt that be something?
Let me know. Thanks
Jer

Hello there I'm up in Cottage Grove. I come to the coast about once a month or so. Some time I will head south to hook up with you.

sounds good. do look us up, I am sure I will be wanting to dive anytime.

jeradams007:
Hello there I'm up in Cottage Grove. I come to the coast about once a month or so. Some time I will head south to hook up with you.

Coastkid,

Howdy from "Rocky Pont", Oregon. I dive all over the place here in Oregon. (Mostly "Rivers & Lakes") I really cant think of too many places that you wont have an absolutle "Blast"! On of my favorite places on the coast is down in "Port Orford".

As far as diving "Crater Lake"... "Yes"... you can dive Crater Lake... but you have to be trained in "Altitude Diving". (This is a "Required" by the park.) The surface of the Lake is approximately 6000 feet, and once you drive to the rim, (which is a little over 7000 feet...) you have a (2) two hour "Off Gas" time before you can dive.

To dive "Crater Lake" there are a lot of permits and paper work that must be completed. (to satisfy the park) OR.... you can call "Southern Oregon Divers" (located in Klamath Falls) and speak with "Joe". He has already done the necessary paper work.

I spoke to Joe last week and he told me the following...

Your gear is packed down to the waters edge... you just have to be able to get yourself to the water. (Its approximately a 1 mile walk down to the water's edge, and is equivalent to a 74 story building.)

They like to dive "The Wall" which basically drops off to "infinity!" (Crater Lake is only a few feet shy of being 2000 feet deep.) The visibility is usually about 140 feet, and the view of the wall is literally "breath taking". (Oh &Yea!... its about 46 degrees... just about as cold as the Puget Sound.)

They were going to do their first "Crater Lake" dive of the year, tomorrow (07/12/04) but they got word from the park that the snow is still too deep to get down to the water's edge. (I know the "Rim Drive" has only been open for less than a month, due to the snow.)

Even though Crater Lake is only about 20 minutes from my house... I have yet too dive in Crater lake. But... I hope to do it this summer.

"Clear Lake" which is up on the "Santiam Pass" (Hyw. 126) is another great dive! Its a mountain valley that was flooded by spring water, when the volcanoes erupted. When you dive there... most of the trees are still standing! You will be swimming through a forest! (Lots of Eagles to see!... when at the surface of course! :eyebrow: ) It is "VERY" cold!... makes the Oregon Coast fell like warm water!

I hope this helps!!!

Donnie

Donnie:
Coastkid,

Howdy from "Rocky Pont", Oregon. I dive all over the place here in Oregon. (Mostly "Rivers & Lakes") I really cant think of too many places that you wont have an absolutle "Blast"! On of my favorite places on the coast is down in "Port Orford".

As far as diving "Crater Lake"... "Yes"... you can dive Crater Lake... but you have to be trained in "Altitude Diving". (This is a "Required" by the park.) The surface of the Lake is approximately 6000 feet, and once you drive to the rim, (which is a little over 7000 feet...) you have a (2) two hour "Off Gas" time before you can dive.

To dive "Crater Lake" there are a lot of permits and paper work that must be completed. (to satisfy the park) OR.... you can call "Southern Oregon Divers" (located in Klamath Falls) and speak with "Joe". He has already done the necessary paper work.

I spoke to Joe last week and he told me the following...

Your gear is packed down to the waters edge... you just have to be able to get yourself to the water. (Its approximately a 1 mile walk down to the water's edge, and is equivalent to a 74 story building.)

They like to dive "The Wall" which basically drops off to "infinity!" (Crater Lake is only a few feet shy of being 2000 feet deep.) The visibility is usually about 140 feet, and the view of the wall is literally "breath taking". (Oh &Yea!... its about 46 degrees... just about as cold as the Puget Sound.)

They were going to do their first "Crater Lake" dive of the year, tomorrow (07/12/04) but they got word from the park that the snow is still too deep to get down to the water's edge. (I know the "Rim Drive" has only been open for less than a month, due to the snow.)

Even though Crater Lake is only about 20 minutes from my house... I have yet too dive in Crater lake. But... I hope to do it this summer.

"Clear Lake" which is up on the "Santiam Pass" (Hyw. 126) is another great dive! Its a mountain valley that was flooded by spring water, when the volcanoes erupted. When you dive there... most of the trees are still standing! You will be swimming through a forest! (Lots of Eagles to see!... when at the surface of course! :eyebrow: ) It is "VERY" cold!... makes the Oregon Coast fell like warm water!

I hope this helps!!!

Donnie

That souds utterly awsome. Wow. I wanna try.

Speaking of diving in Crater Lake our shop in Medford has recently run into a brick wall. We had struck a deal with the people at the lake to teach an altitude class and do our checkouts there. They gave us a limit on how many divers we could sell the class to. We sold the class but before we gave it the lake folks gave us a call and canceled us out.

Seems there was a problem with the tractor operator. He no longer was willing to haul the gear up and down the path for us as originally offered.

We're in limbo right now. Several of our divers go up there and do work on their docks and stuff but as far as new ones getting in I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Dove Port Orford recently, 6 inches to 3 foot vis on average :(

GoJu,

Yes!... It does sound awesome! I cant wait to go!!! If nothing else... it would be cool to say that "I had dove Crater Lake". I guess you get in pretty good shape walking up and down the trail! (Thin air ya know!)

Al Mailovsky,

Butte Falls???!!! Heck!... I could almost throw a rock over to ya from my house here in "Rocky Point". (Howdy Neighbor!) :wink:

What about "Fish Lake" or "Lake of the Woods"? They would still qualify... (Although "Crater Lake" would be a killer dive!)

I had heard that the Coast was kinda "mucky" with the warmer temperatures. Although... I have to admit that I have never been there when the visibility was bad. Port Orford has always been a very forgiving spot for me! :crafty:

Have a great day!

Donnie

When I lived in Oregon I would dive the North Umpqua up around steamboat when the salmon were running.

Well im in Seaside

and do most of my diving up in the Seattle area.

but i have bee trying some of the oregon Coast sites of late

I recomend you try the county boat ramp at Neatarts.
I had 3 great dives there in as many trys.

I also recomend the 3 Grases and the Bar view jetty but you most time these right

A nother great dive is infont of the RR bridge in the Nehalem Bay.

I have dove there a few times and never fail to see lots of cool stuff

I can recomend a NW dive web site if you PM me.
Sparky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom