Looking for good dive sites near Texada Island, B.C.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
wolf eel:
Oh yea

We have loads of places to dive. Have you ever dove the mermaid yet at all ? It is at 60' the mermaid is made of bronze 18' tall loads of life hang around. she has a sister in the Caymon islands. Then the Malahate is a old steam ship sits around 75' with sea lions, wolf eels and huge lingers. We have all kinds of places every point here is an excellent dive full of life :D Our viss today was about 80' just awesome 120+ in the winter. Is their another place to chat about this ?

Cheers
DD

I have been thinking about diving the north tip of Texada Island or Nelson Island at the mouth of Jervis Inlet.

For Texada I was considering Rebecca Rock or Vivian Isl.

For a trip to Jervis Inlet I was looking at possible sites near Hardy Island. My dive buddy used to have a summer place on Nelson Island but most of his dives were made close to either Nelson or Hardy.

Neither of us have dove the mermaid. Do you know if there is a mooring buoy there?

Where is the Malahate?

Have you dove the tip of Texada much?

Hello

Yes we have dove the tip of Tex there are all kinds of cloud sponges and just loads of life. If you dive Grant reefs at the right time of year their will be thsounds of dogfish loads of fun. The Mermaid really does not have a mooring bouy but you could make do. We have a bouy but that is so people can drop down the line and find the Mermaid. Jervis inlet is just around the corner from the Mermaid. The Malahate is off a point in Powell River it has a mooring bouy. Drop down the line head north west and there see be. Then if you keep going north from Powell River by a bit there be a wreck at 120' bow stern 160' in the event you where to miss the tide it comes through around 7 knots. But still an excellent dive loads of sea life then if you keep going north you come across Lund just north of it you have four wrecks within 100' of each other then just past that you get into some awesome diving in and around a patch of about ten little Islands. Again the current is a factor because it rips. I can give hours worth of great dive sites we have loads of them.

Anywhere else you would like to dive say an old cannery site from the 1800s and find things that are part of history. We have just so many you should look at a map and from there I can point out all kinds of increible diving. If you have your own boat then I can take you on some outrages dives. I am in the process of building a boat for diving. it should be done for the late part of the year and it would have everything a diver needs and then some.

Cheers
Derek

C

My dive buddy who has dove Nelson Island loves finding old bottles and stuff. The cannery sounds interesting. Where is it?

Do you know the name of the point that the Malahate is off of? How big is it and is it still in one piece?

If I saw a school of dog fish I think I would be swimming in the opposite direction. I have seen them in a feeding frenzy at the surface. Looked like piranahs.

I don't think I would go as far as Lund since my boat is at Hornby Island. If I do make the trip to the north tip of Texada what sites would you recommend? If you are interested I could pick you up at Blubber Bay but I don't know when I might make the trip.

Eric

Hi Eric

The cannery sites are a bit north. 3hrs from Powell river. Minstrial Island is the place to dive. It is going through a Island change over and the people who have lived there for years are moving on. So the fate of the Island is up to the bank. The cannery site in and around there are full of things to find. Old Old bottles spainards that old.

Dogfish can not bite us as their mouth does not allow them too. The lower jaw is set to far back excellent for bottom critters not so good for others. In the time it takes them you could push them away. They breed in the thsounds it looks like nothing I can describe. Scary yet really cool. Few people have ever seen it as it only last for a little while.

From the North tip of Texada Lund is about 30 mins not so far.Off the tip you have cloud sponges at 98' to 120' then go on to the east side and cliff dive with more life then you can see in a day.

As for meetting in Blubber Bay forsure I would love too. I can also show you all kinds of dive sites in and around Hornby. All the way to Port Hardy then off the west coast of Vancouver Island. I was a CD diver here for a bit (ten years) so I hve had a chance to dive all over the place.

Just one thing where is this thread as I have to go back to the accidents to find it? :D

Cheers
Derek

Hi Derek,

To find this thread scroll to almost the bottom of the Scuba Board site page and you will find the section for Scuba Board Clubs then look for the club for our area called Pacific Northwest Orca Bait.

I just got off the phone with my friend Doug who has dove Nelson Island. He has a 16 foot aluminum boat that we might trailer up to Lund. I have a friend on Redonda Island so we might dive sites bewteen there and Lund.

Are there any boat launches north of Lund?

Have you dove the Desolation Sound area?

Eric

Yes there is a boat launch north of lund in Bliss landing and I do beleive I can arrange to be able to drop a boat. Private dock. Also there is one at Dinner rock which has the wreck MV Gulf Stream 143' long and sits about 70' to 120' in between an Island (dinner rock). The Malahate is off a rock Jetty would be better to say and it is almost gone but it is still an excellent dive as there are loads of things to see. At bliss the current rips but excellent dive site with a kelp forrest and again loads of life.

Anytime you came up would be a good time. I am allways into diving.
Cheers
Derek

At the end of July we are going to have a sea fare here in Powell River. And I would like to set up a treasure chest. And have all kinds of diving related events. Comps with other dive clubs. just a thought have too get something in paper real quick. Would you and your crew be interested in something like that.? If you would be so kind and pass the idea around that would be great. As we would be able to set everybody up with great accomadations and prices.

Cheers
Derek

Back
Top Bottom