diving lanai - turtle haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likestea

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dived Turtle Haven or "Coral Gardens" on Lanai, I am trying to find out some information and maybe a photo of this dive site and diving at Houlopo'e Bay - any help would be great thanks.

You might find a Houlopoe Bay dive photo on the Trilogy website. Pretty much the only divers in Houlopoe Bay are people from the Trilogy snorkel trips doing the non-certified Discover Scuba dive. I've snorkeled Houlopoe to play with the spinner dolphins, but prefer other places when diving.

cool, thanks, which dive sites do you think are the best dives on Lanai.

A difficult question, since there are many good sites, and none really blow away all of the others.

1st and 2nd Cathedrals are the "signature" dives that are popular requests. Both are must see dives, but get old after a while. SharkFin and Lighthouse are the dives sites that are popular when the swells or currents makes most of the other unsuitable.

Being a laid back guy, I just generally let the Captain choose and hop in wherever we stop. Occasionally I'll request Sgt Major or Secret Cove/Paradise --- I like the variety of topography at those sites.

Charlie Allen

Thanks Charlie, I am trying to create a list of all the dive sites in Hawaii and it can be hard to find descriptions of some sites, also some I find have different names depending on who you talk with or dive with.

likestea:
Thanks Charlie, I am trying to create a list of all the dive sites in Hawaii and it can be hard to find descriptions of some sites, also some I find have different names depending on who you talk with or dive with.
Dive sites can also change names according to what is or isn't there --- per the Extended Horizons dive site descriptions, "Turtle Haven is nestled into the north east end of east Lanai, .... And "Coral Garden" is the alternate name when the turtles hide"

Erik Stein has a lot of info on his website, and since he was instrumental in getting moorings put in to those sites, I guess he ought to be able to name them.

You might try e-mailing him a request for permission to use the info. My guess is that as long as you provide a link to his website, it would be a good thing for both of you.

------

Mike Severns and Pauline Fiene have published an excellent dive site guide book, "Diving Hawaii and Midway". As you would expect from a marine biologist with two sea slugs species named after her, the book has lots of good info on how the plant and animal life vary between the islands and different type of dive sites.

Thanks for your help Charlie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom