Hawaii diving logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi:

I am attending a meeting in Kauai Jan 23-27. We plan to come 3 days ahead in order to dive and also to go to the Big Island to visit Pearl Harbor. We are AOW certified, Nitrox Certified and (as soon as we take our written) Rescue Diver Certified. We have logged 92 dives -- many of them in Cozumel, which is boat and drift diving.

We (husband and I) would like to spend 2 days diving, then visit Pearle Harbor and then go to the meeting.

Two dives that I would really like to do in Hawaii are the night Manta Raydive and a lava tube dive, as those are not available in other locations.

I am trying to figure out the logistics here. Should I do my diving on the Big Island, visit Pearle during my 24 hrs-before- you-fly interval, then go to Kauai for the meeting or what? :dazzler1:

Doc, As you will find from other posts, and I am no expert, the diving is supposed to be better on the Big Island of Hawaii. Pearl Harbor is on Oahu, not Hawaii. So, you need to figure out your schedule and then schedule your dives. If you dive in Kona, I highly recommend Dive Makai. They were extremely good and very knowledgable about the dive sites and sea life you will be seeing on your dives. Check out my trip report at http://www.scubaboard.com/t61912.html

Try to fit pearl harbor in on a lay over. Only takes a couple of hours to do. Fly into Ohau, run over and see pearl, then fly to Kauai. Take an inter island hop to Big Isle for No Ka Oi diving. I can hook you up with a great dive boat here if you want. ENjoy your visit!

Wildcard:
Try to fit pearl harbor in on a lay over. Only takes a couple of hours to do. Fly into Ohau, run over and see pearl, then fly to Kauai. Take an inter island hop to Big Isle for No Ka Oi diving. I can hook you up with a great dive boat here if you want. ENjoy your visit!
Waitasec... I thought Maui was No Ka Oi?

Lived in Maui and big Isle, Big isle is mo betta No Ka Oi!

Big Island has better rock formations, caverns, Maui has better coral.

My preference is Maui actually but I don't knock any island.

Please translate "No Ka Oi." I have never heard that term. So which is the island where I can do both the lava tubes and the night Manta Ray dive??

So, can I do the dives I want to do on Oahu? Then go to Kauai? Is there a ferry to Kauai from Oahu?

Elaine

DennisW:
Doc, As you will find from other posts, and I am no expert, the diving is supposed to be better on the Big Island of Hawaii. Pearl Harbor is on Oahu, not Hawaii. So, you need to figure out your schedule and then schedule your dives. If you dive in Kona, I highly recommend Dive Makai. They were extremely good and very knowledgable about the dive sites and sea life you will be seeing on your dives. Check out my trip report at http://www.scubaboard.com/t61912.html

Elaine, You can surely dive on Oahu, then go to Kauai. I did not dive on Oahu while I was there, I only went snorkling at Hanauma Bay. Wonderful place. If you want recommendations about diving on Oahu, ask justleesa, she can give you help in that area. I am sure you will get more information. There are several really nice people on the board that live on Oahu.

Maui has better coral? I guess I'll have to do more diving over on Maui than I've done. I pretty much have only dove Molokini and the Red Hill area and both were less than impressive for coral. I did think that one site I dove of Red Hill had some nice topography/swimthroughs though.

It's pretty tough to make generalizations without having dived more than a few sites. I'd like to get out to Ahihi bay and maybe Honolua Bay and see how it compares to some of the spots I dive here.

later

Steve

Al Mialkovsky:
Big Island has better rock formations, caverns, Maui has better coral.

My preference is Maui actually but I don't knock any island.

Back
Top Bottom