Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbtide

Reaction score
hello all
ive been invited to do some wreck diving localy and since ive never done any b4 i was looking for some advice from some more qualifyed people . as there are quite a fiew wrecks that are not dived on very mutch 1 being a 5663 ton iron hulled liberty ship
called the ( West Jaffrey ) witch is still loaded with tanks and barbed wire and sheets of leather and bags of flower,
also the (S.S. Castilian) theyse wrecks are fairly easy to find but must use caution due to the tides and obsticals , theyse wrecks lie in 24 to 85 to 90 ft .
so if anyone knows what a feller should look for in Gear to do some wreck diving please let me know as i plan on staying outside the wrecks maby if i preapare for the dive now i will know more on what to expect this summer !

All of these questions can best be answerd by taking the Wreck Divng Specialty class offered by many of the various training agencies.

Diving in and around a wreck is very different than a reef and comes with it's own set of hazards and obstacles. As such, proper training, gear, planning, and personal preparation are required.

Lost Yooper and Walter are some of our very avid wreck divers on this board. So be sure to seek out their advice.

Also be sure to check out the WreckMania 2002 trip being setup by Natasha. I beleive the info is in the "Group Trips" forum.

Greetings,

As you might expect, a little common sense can go a long way. Stay away from entanglement hazards, and have shears and a knife just in case. Don't go beyond your comfort zone and abilities. Dive with a buddy who has a little something between his/her ears :D and won't push you into anything you are not comfortable doing. Have fun!

I've been on and in wrecks since my first dive post-certification -- nuttin' to it :wink:. Just use your head.

Take care.

Mike

You'll hopefully really enjoy yourself.

I certified last July and dove first wrecks in September and November. It was a huge rush! I'm hooked and so is wife, she was on the November dive.

Dave

Yes i have to agree with the others, Take the wreck diving course, it's very informative and prepares you for that kind of environment. no one wants to be a statistic.
:yellow:

well all ide love to be able to take the weck diving course but it isnt offered in Nova Scotia at least this end ! there isnt enuf divers into it YET they say and what i plan on doing is going with 3 to 4 other divers 2 have more experience 1 has 20 years of diving behind him he is the 1 that has mentioned about the wreck dives and is willing to take us along as i told him i dont wanna pass my comfort level or be in his way nothing worse than a fly in yer face at suppertime (hahaha) so it is on this aspect that i ask is there any Specific type of gear i shuld look into EX: a reel or spair air or something like that ?:)

A course might be one thing to do, however I do not know...

There is a difference between wrecks and wrecks.

I did not take a course. I dove on the Superior on Curacao. On 30 meters. Great wreck. No hazards. Clear view. I even entered the wreck. Was one of my best dives ever :thumb:. I went there with a local dive master the first time. I would not have gone there the first time with a buddy not familiar with the site :nono:.

Here in the Netherlands people dive on wrecks in the North sea. Visibility to nil. Large currents. Deep diving. No diving without guiding lines. I did not dive there!

My advise:
- Ask people who are familiar with the wreck
- Decide whether you are up to the circumstances
- Don't take risks, even when you're narced (use da gray matter in your skull)

Ebbtide, some thoughts: find out if your buddy has a SCUBA reel. You might need one of these to find your way back to the anchor line. If not, you will have to depend on your sense of direction as compasses do not work well around iron. Surfacing down current would definitely be a problem. Make sure that doesn't happen.

I assume your friend is going to use a short length of rope to tie the grapple to the wreck. If you have to do it, practice tying a bowline on dry land.

You might wish to take an underwater light.

Definitely carry a knife. Keep an eye out for stray fishing line or nets, especially GILL NETS.

Wear gloves and don't bump the wreck with your knees.

Agree on hand signals or flashlight signals.

Don't try using a lift bag first time out. Carry a goody bag but check with your friend first.

Carry a short stick with a hook to boost lobsters out of their hole, if legal.

Recommend a deco meter, press gauge and watch.

Have fun.

I think something should be said here by a more experienced than I, but here goes.

There are wrecks and there are wrecks.
I have been down on several wrecks in the Caribbean and I have not taken a wreck diving course. They all had great visibility and I only penetrated a couple. I always could see a way out. If you were asking about one of these wrecks I would say, it is no big deal.

If you are going to be penetrating a wreck that does NOT have good visibility and you can NOT see the exit, and might have a stiff current, I would be very concerned. Be safe.

Even if you don’t take the course, buy the book!

If no penitration. go for it. just watch for fish lines and nets.. wrecks are notorious fro snagging them. Penitration only if you can see an exit at all times. learn the frog kick so you don't silt your vis. if no visible exit.. don't go in with out proper training..
enjoy..

Barry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom