Maui/Makena Shore Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm headed to Maui with the family in a few weeks and we are staying in Makena (Makena Surf I think). How is the beach diving here and in this area? I've heard that it's a great reef to snorkle, too. Any info, tips, and recommendations on locations and shops are appreciated!

Regards,

Rob.

You aren't far from 5 caves 5 graves there. LaPerouse is just a bit further south and it's great too.

Take a trip out to do the backwall of Molokini while you're there. I use B&B Scuba in Kihei and love them but there are many great boat operators in the area.

IIRC, the Makena landing is a dicey beach dive (mostly entry & exit on slippery rocks, not sandy beach)... we watched a few snorkelers try to get in there and they were having a heck of a time (mind you, they had put their fins on and were wading in like that).

Anyways... you're never far from anywhere on Maui, really...

KrisB:
IIRC, the Makena landing is a dicey beach dive (mostly entry & exit on slippery rocks, not sandy beach)... we watched a few snorkelers try to get in there and they were having a heck of a time.
The entry on the north side is rocky and can be tricky, but the entry on the south side of the point (next to the restroom & shower) is sandy and very easy.

Boat diving is much, much nicer than shore diving in South Maui. Unfortunately, it is also much, much more expensive.

Ulua is another easy dive with a reasonably nice reef.

I've grown fond of the reef off of Kamaole 3 Beach park, just north of the boat ramp -- but that's partly because it's just across the street from my condo.

All of the Maui Dive Shop stores have a free brochure that give access info and a brief description of a dozen or so shore dives. They also rent tanks -- even from the snorkel and apparel oriented branches in shopping centers.

This is the best shore dive guide for Maui.

We have had several ocean swells as of late. These swells have made for poor shore diving conditions. Factor this possibilty in for shore diving.

Gilligan:
This is the best shore dive guide for Maui.

We have had several ocean swells as of late. These swells have made for poor shore diving conditions. Factor this possibilty in for shore diving.

The SW Swells that are nailing mainland Calif are also messin with you?

But I outsmart them Otter by kayak diving :D
I paddle out to 70 or 80 feet where the vis is better.

Aloha! You'll find lots of great places to snorkel and dive not far from your hotel. If you need to get an up to date report on where the water is looking it's best, drop me a line and I'll try to help you out. I hit the water almost everyday in this area and I have a pretty good feel for the conditions. Have fun and remember, if you go with someone who knows the area, you'll get a much better diving experience than if you try to find your way around on your own.

Ah-Lowwwwwwww-Haaaaaaaaa!

Shaka Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom